Beat the GMAT!!! From 500 to 770 in 3 months!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
I took my GMAT for the 2nd time last friday and to my surprise, I nearly aced it! (770 - V50, Q44, AWA 5)

3 months ago I took my GMAT and scored only 500. (V31, Q 27, AWA 5)
I ran out of time on quant section and was penalized for not answering few leftover questions. Before my 1st exam, I studied with only PowerScore SC and CR Bibles. I didn't do any OG problems nor did I practice Math section AT ALL.

Since I was always good in math, I thought if I focused on verbal portion, I can score in 600 range and get into the MBA program with ease.

Of course, lesson learned here is - NEVER UNDERESTIMATE GMAT!!!

I fell flat on my face without a doubt.

So I enrolled in 9 week MGMAT course and studied for GMAT again.

However, except for few tricks they taught me, MGMAT courses didn't really teach me any fundamentals. Every week, they would assign me homework and the course study was mainly self-guided study.

In class, they did teach me tricks to boost my score and save time - but other than that, it wasn't much different from say - buying books from bookstore and studying on my own.

Here's what I did to get my 770.

Verbal:

SC - Powerscore SC guide was useless. It was confusing. Then I tried MGMAT SC guide. This was GOD SENT!!!! Explanation and examples were very clear. Concentrate on few core topics such as subject-verb agreement, parallelism, etc etc and practice OG problems non stop.
(Except for CAT exams I took, I never timed myself. I wanted to actually spend time and learn from my mistakes - as well as my correct choices)
Master SC strategies in MGMAT SC guide and YOU CAN at least guarantee 30 to 35 range in verbal in my opinion.

CR - Powerscore CR Bible wasn't that good in my opinion. In fact, it separated the topic into so many categories, I couldn't differentiate on type from another after completing all 250 plus pages. I actually used T DIAGRAM strategy learned in MGMAT class and pretty much used it for all types of CR questions. I think this increased my accruacy on this section to about 93 to 97 percent success range.

T DIAGRAM (for CR) pretty much is like this: Like accounting T DIAGRAM, identify conclusion and write on top of T. Then inside (and under the conclusion) the T - write down all premises. In parentheses, write down assumptions or skeptical counter arguments you can think of. Then read the ACTUAL question (that comes after stated premises and conclusion in the question). Practice using T DIAGRAM for all self study practices (but never on actual CAT or GMAT exams - time consuming). This will help you get used to CR questions and how to attack this kind of problem. trust me, you will see CR questions differently and actually want to see more CR problems in GMAT because they look sooooo easy!!!!

RC - used GRE prep books. Those are harder than actual GMAT RC questions.

Math:

DS - Used MGMAT strategy on DS type. Group answer choices to either AD-BCE or BD-ACE type and eliminate. For more info, get the MGMAT book or search this forum. I think i saw an explanation posted by someone else. This increased my DS accuracy to at least 90 percent success rate and saved sooooo much time.

PS - This was the most difficult part. I actually read and went through all MGMAT math books and reviewed/relearned fundamentals. Memorize lots of number property rules (also can be found in Beat the GMAT Flashcards) and etc etc. Then do all OG Math review problems. Then do all Math problems in OG 11. This is the only way to increase your math score.

Before my 2nd exam date, I did OG problems non stop for about 3 weeks. I think i went through every problem at least once. then I did all 6 MGMAT CAT exams plus few Kaplan CAT exams. EVEN IF YOU DID ALL OG PROBLEMS, YOU MUST DO AT LEAST 3 CAT EXAMS AFTERWARDS!!! This is where you can assess your readiness!!! if you don't like your CAT score, delay your GMAT date.

I consistently scored from 680 to 730 on MGMAT CATs and 600 to 620 on Kaplan CATs.

Worst case scenario, master CR, SC, and DS strategies!!! They will guarantee your score in mid 600 if you can do this.
Last edited by ninkorn on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730
V50!! :shock:

Wow - V12 can take you from 0-60 mph in less than 4 seconds but V50 can help you to travel in time!

Congrats master! WELLDONE!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Legendary Member

Cool

by iamcste » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:37 pm
Awesome !

Legendary Member

by niraj_a » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:39 pm
V50? insanity

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by 3gmater » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:43 pm
rightly said my logitech.....V50 can let you travel....faster than speed of light.

People don't event dream of a 50 in verbal.....because they think it's impossible.

Congrats!
My odds to success increase incredibly with each attempt.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:58 pm
V50 earns my respect! :)

AWESOME!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member

by aj5105 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:34 am
crazy ! congrats !

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:38 am
How do you even get 50! ;-)

Did you practice by correcting CNN's English, defending brutal cases in court and reading all rusty books from 17th century!

TELL ME! :lol:
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

GMAT Score:760

by praneeth » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:47 am
V50 is pretty ridiculous. Congrats!

I agree with you that MGMAT course doesn't add a lot of value above the strategy guides. I think they are hurting themselves by making the strategy guides too good!

by rjbrooks » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:34 am
Great score, good strategy - way to go!

by ninkorn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:10 pm
No I didn't correct CNN's grammar or did I read up on some really old books...

Instead, I kept telling myself while studying for verbal section for inspiration/motivation:

"If I can't learn proper grammar or comprehend literary passages at my age, my English verbal skills are no better than George W Bush's........Do I really want to be in the same league as George W?"

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Brett B » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:25 pm
ninkorn wrote:.Do I really want to be in the same league as George W?"
and which league would that be? the league of people who are elected president of the unites states for 2 terms?

(sorry, had to say it)

GMAT Score:760

by praneeth » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:27 pm
Brett B wrote:
ninkorn wrote:.Do I really want to be in the same league as George W?"
and which league would that be? the league of people who are elected president of the unites states for 2 terms?

(sorry, had to say it)
The "Nukuler" league perhaps?

:)

Legendary Member

by niraj_a » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:55 pm
W. is ex-Yale

go figure

by ninkorn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:58 pm
I actually had few people that emailed me about T DIAGRAM method.

I made this (MS Excel file) based on my MGMAT notes. I hope this makes sense.
Attachments
GMAT - T Diagram.xls
(34 KiB) Downloaded 756 times