Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

bad fisherman

This topic has 14 member replies
acecoolan Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
Joined
07 May 2008
Posted:
139 messages
Thanked:
8 times
bad fisherman Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:02 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Sam is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, in which he and the five members of his team spent four months on a boat together off Dutch Harbor, AK, he caught fewer fish than any of his teammates.

    Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument above?
    A)Two seasons ago, Sam fished on another boat off Dutch Harbor and caught more fish than any other member of that boat.
    B)Before becoming a fisherman, Sam piloted a fishing boat whose members regularly caught record numbers of fish.
    C)While fishing this past season, Sam fell sick for a week and did not catch any fish during this time.
    D)Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Sam fished this past season with experimental bait.
    E)Amongst the fishing community in Dutch Harbor, Sam has a reputation for being an especially bad fisherman.

    OA D

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    logitech GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Oct 2008
    Posted:
    2136 messages
    Followed by:
    21 members
    Thanked:
    232 times
    GMAT Score:
    730
    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:14 am
    Sam is obviously a bad fisherman because he caught less fish. We need to find an explanation which explains why he caught less fish and why he still can be a good fisherman.

    Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Sam fished this past season with experimental bait.

    What if all other used WORMS and he used something that did not work..Does it make him a bad fisher ? NO! We still like Sam! Smile

    _________________
    LGTCH
    ---------------------
    "DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

    acecoolan Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Joined
    07 May 2008
    Posted:
    139 messages
    Thanked:
    8 times
    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:18 am
    logitech wrote:
    Sam is obviously a bad fisherman because he caught less fish. We need to find an explanation which explains why he caught less fish and why he still can be a good fisherman.

    Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Sam fished this past season with experimental bait.

    What if all other used WORMS and he used something that did not work..Does it make him a bad fisher ? NO! We still like Sam! Smile
    Smile - well the only other option that threw me off was 'C' - that seemed like a possible one

    scoobydooby GMAT Titan Default Avatar
    Joined
    27 Aug 2008
    Posted:
    1035 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    103 times
    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:23 am
    acecoolan wrote:
    logitech wrote:
    Sam is obviously a bad fisherman because he caught less fish. We need to find an explanation which explains why he caught less fish and why he still can be a good fisherman.

    Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Sam fished this past season with experimental bait.

    What if all other used WORMS and he used something that did not work..Does it make him a bad fisher ? NO! We still like Sam! Smile
    Smile - well the only other option that threw me off was 'C' - that seemed like a possible one
    Option C contradicts the stimulus which says he caught fewer fish (atleast some, more than 0) than anyone else, this option says he didnt catch any.

    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:28 am
    I believe C is a better choice

    C)While fishing this past season, Sam fell sick for a week and did not catch any fish during this time. < - If falling sick is a quality of Bad fisherman then only we can say that C proves that Sam is a bad fisherman.. which i don't think is the case..So i go for C.. as decision is based on number of fish caught...

    D)Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Sam fished this past season with experimental bait. <- This possibility should be wrong as it doesn't show what effect the experiment caused on number of fish caught... If number of fish caught using exp decreases then the exp fails .. SAm can still be good or bad fisherman..
    If number of fishes caught increases then also the exp is successful... NOT that SAM is a good fisherman or a Bad fisherman...

    So i go for C

    logitech GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Oct 2008
    Posted:
    2136 messages
    Followed by:
    21 members
    Thanked:
    232 times
    GMAT Score:
    730
    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:32 am
    C does not make him a better or worse fisherman. It is not tied to the conclusion.

    _________________
    LGTCH
    ---------------------
    "DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:47 am
    I feel D doesn't make it a good or bad fisherman..

    Let's see what other have to say...

    ronniecoleman GMAT Destroyer!
    Joined
    16 Nov 2008
    Posted:
    546 messages
    Thanked:
    13 times
    Test Date:
    29th jan
    Target GMAT Score:
    780+
    GMAT Score:
    NA
    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:55 am
    IMO D

    Conclusion: Sam is a bad fisherman

    We need to negate this conclusion

    What if there is not a level playing ground for Sam to compete...

    Option D says that itself..

    _________________
    Admission champion, Hauz khaz
    011-27565856

    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:11 am
    ronniecoleman wrote:
    IMO D

    Conclusion: Sam is a bad fisherman

    We need to negate this conclusion

    What if there is not a level playing ground for Sam to compete...

    Option D says that itself..
    Can we say that sickness could have prevented level playing ground for Sam to compete..??

    logitech GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Oct 2008
    Posted:
    2136 messages
    Followed by:
    21 members
    Thanked:
    232 times
    GMAT Score:
    730
    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:22 am
    C vs D

    C)While fishing this past season, Sam fell sick for a week and did not catch any fish during this time.
    D)Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Sam fished this past season with experimental bait.

    C: one week in past season!
    D: entire season



    C: being sick does not make any body to qualify as a bad fisherman because he was not competing against others

    D:fishing at the same time but catching less fish can mean a bad fisherman

    C: There is no alternative explanation for the conclusion
    D: There is an alternative explanation


    C: WRONG
    D: CORRECT

    Smile

    _________________
    LGTCH
    ---------------------
    "DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

    pbanavara Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Joined
    24 Sep 2008
    Posted:
    279 messages
    Thanked:
    6 times
    Test Date:
    Feb 26
    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:22 am
    nervesofsteel wrote:
    I believe C is a better choice

    C)While fishing this past season, Sam fell sick for a week and did not catch any fish during this time. < - If falling sick is a quality of Bad fisherman then only we can say that C proves that Sam is a bad fisherman.. which i don't think is the case..So i go for C.. as decision is based on number of fish caught...

    D)Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Sam fished this past season with experimental bait. <- This possibility should be wrong as it doesn't show what effect the experiment caused on number of fish caught... If number of fish caught using exp decreases then the exp fails .. SAm can still be good or bad fisherman..
    If number of fishes caught increases then also the exp is successful... NOT that SAM is a good fisherman or a Bad fisherman...

    So i go for C
    C also says - past season .. so it's not irrelevant to the argument.

    _________________
    In the land of night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead
    http://questor.blogspot.com

    GMATPREP1 - 550 (Oct 08)
    MGMAT FREE CAT - 600 (Dec 08)
    MGMAT CAT1 - 670 (Jan 09)
    MGMAT CAT2 - 550 (Jan 09)
    MGMAT CAT3 - 640 ( Feb 09)
    MGMAT CAT4 - 660 ( Feb 09)

    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:33 am
    Option A is not bad either, because, If no. if caught fishes is criteria, In A , it is proved he caught more than any1 , so he is nto bad.
    D - Experimental bait...it could it good also, why to think it was bad and he caught more than he would have with worms n all
    C- Out of 4 months , he wasnt well for 7 days, he had 15 weeks beside that to prove if he good,

    Why not A.

    logitech GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Oct 2008
    Posted:
    2136 messages
    Followed by:
    21 members
    Thanked:
    232 times
    GMAT Score:
    730
    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:18 pm
    vivek.kapoor83 wrote:
    Option A is not bad either, because, If no. if caught fishes is criteria, In A , it is proved he caught more than any1 , so he is nto bad.
    D - Experimental bait...it could it good also, why to think it was bad and he caught more than he would have with worms n all
    C- Out of 4 months , he wasnt well for 7 days, he had 15 weeks beside that to prove if he good,

    Why not A.
    A)Two seasons ago, Sam fished on another boat off Dutch Harbor and caught more fish than any other member of that boat.

    We are comparing his PAST Year performance with other fishermen.

    2 seasons ago is not in the scope of our discussion. IMO!!

    _________________
    LGTCH
    ---------------------
    "DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

    Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:12 am
    no, it talks abt him in genral and gernally he this option suits the most... IMO

    gmataug08 Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Joined
    17 May 2008
    Posted:
    105 messages
    Thanked:
    6 times
    Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:28 am
    A)Two seasons ago, Sam fished on another boat off Dutch Harbor and caught more fish than any other member of that boat.
    ..... out of scope as it was two seasons ago and also we don't know whether it is the same set of co-fishermen now and then.

    B)Before becoming a fisherman, Sam piloted a fishing boat whose members regularly caught record numbers of fish.
    ..... who cares... may be Sam made a wrong career change decision.

    C)While fishing this past season, Sam fell sick for a week and did not catch any fish during this time.
    ..... possible argument, but still not most weakening.

    D)Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Sam fished this past season with experimental bait.
    ..... correct !!!

    E)Amongst the fishing community in Dutch Harbor, Sam has a reputation for being an especially bad fisherman.
    ..... this is strengthening the conclusion.

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 j_shreyans 80 topics
    2 aditya8062 41 topics
    3 anksm22 35 topics
    4 kamalakarthi 29 topics
    5 RiyaR 27 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    175 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    153 posts
    3 image description MBAPrepAdvantage

    MBAPrepAdvantage

    92 posts
    4 image description CriticalSquareMBA

    Critical Square

    77 posts
    5 image description Jon@Admissionado

    Admissionado

    46 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts