No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 0

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

AWA-Essay Attempt- Require Feedback

by bhaumik93 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:53 am
"The common notion that workers are generally apathetic about management issues is false, or at least outdated: a recently published survey indicates that 79 percent of the nearly 1,200 workers who responded to survey questionnaires expressed a high level of interest in the topics of corporate restructuring and redesign of benefits programs."

Answer

The author in the given argument tries to infer from a survey of 1200 workers that the workers in general are not apathetic about the management issues. The argument in its line of reasoning makes several unwarented assumptions which might not be true.The main flaw in his reasoning is that he assumes that interest corporate restructuring and redesign of benefit program implies worker not apathetic towards several issues that the management faces.

Firstly, there are no supporting evidence given in the data for weather the 1200 workers are representative of the entire worker population.It might be the case that these workers could be working at a company where there if a great deal of harmony between the management and workers which might lead to a higher level of interest in the management issues.

Secondly, The author states that worker are interested in the are of redesigning of the benefit system, but the question that need to be asked is from whose perspective will they approach the issue. The workers could be interested in the subject because they would like to strike a deal with the management which maximises their benefits rather than cooperate with the management and do what is best for the company.

Thirdly, The survey states that the workers are interested in 2 particular areas but it might be the case that several other issues would be more important from the management perspective and they might not show much apathy toward those issues.The management faces several issues and issues such as corporate restructuring and redesign of benefits programs might not be the most important ones.

Thus, The argument is seriously riddled because of logical gaps in its line of reasoning and should provide further evidence to substantiate its claim.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:33 pm
Hello bhaumik93,

I hope that these comments help as you prepare for the exam.

Writing: There are a few typos in the essay. Make sure to reserve a few minutes so you can read through your work and catch any careless errors. I'm not entirely sure what the final sentence in your intro means, so check the wording there. Note that "weather" means what's happening in the sky, but "whether" is the word you're looking for in the first body paragraph. Write out numbers in your sentences when they're small (2 should be two).

Structure: There's a good base here for future AWA prep, but you need to build up to five paragraphs and a full conclusion. Remember that a paragraph is at least three strong sentences, so your body paragraphs also need some added length. The conclusion here feels like a template and doesn't contain details from the prompt.

Arguments/Examples: I liked your point about the lack of representation with the sample of 1200 workers. Your arguments are reasonable, but they need to be developed into full paragraphs.

Suggestions for Improvement: Save time to read through your work and catch writing errors. Build up your essay length and write a real conclusion with details from the prompt. Once you improve these areas, you'll be closer to a top score.

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

Best,
Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bhaumik93 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:53 am
Hi Katherine,

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate you taking time out and evaluating my essay. I will definitely keep you suggestion in mind before attempting the AWA section on GMAT.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:27 am
Not a problem at all! I hope that you find the feedback helpful. Good luck on your studying.
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying