Ask a Duke Fuqua Student

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
MBA Student
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:740

by becnil » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:04 pm
I have a qu estion in addition to what you have answered.
You mentioned about the faculty advisor. Could you please provide little more detail on that.

We have a faculty advisor (Professor), who manages this program. Details can be found at https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/admin/stuserv ... mt431.html

Is there a program or club through which we get in touch with faculty advisor?
If so, are there any selection criteria for the same?

I am not sure if getting in touch with the advisor is possible at this point. There is no cutoff/selection criteria, but your interests should match the opportunities available. I think you should have enough information from the link above.

Also I have couple more questions.

1) I wanted to find out about the electives courses such as Entrepreneurial Finance, Raising Capital, Marketing Innovations. Could you provide insight over these courses. How are these courses? How are the faculties who are imparting these courses.

I am not sure what exactly are you looking to learn about these courses. The above courses are all pretty popular among different sections of the MBA class. I have personally not taken any of the above electives, but I have heard a lot of great things about Prof. David Robinson (Entr. Finance) and Prof. Debu Purohit (Marketing of Innovations). You may find more information here: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/student_resou ... cs/courses

2) I also wanted to find out about some clubs and what all events they have. On fuqua's site I couldnt find details on that.
Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital Club
Duke MBA Finance Club
Marketing Club
Media, Entertainment and Sports Club
Asian Business Club
Association of Women in Business
FuquaVision
Fuqua-Improv
Fuqua Speaks

Also if you can provide links to all these clubs that will be really helpful.

Thanks

I believe you would be able to see the club listings and their websites from this link https://fuqua.campusgroups.com/club_signup
MBA 2013, Duke University, Fuqua School of Business

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by anukrati » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:16 pm
becnil wrote:I have a qu estion in addition to what you have answered.
You mentioned about the faculty advisor. Could you please provide little more detail on that.

We have a faculty advisor (Professor), who manages this program. Details can be found at https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/admin/stuserv ... mt431.html

I am not sure if getting in touch with the advisor is possible at this point. There is no cutoff/selection criteria, but your interests should match the opportunities available. I think you should have enough information from the link above.

1) I wanted to find out about the electives courses such as Entrepreneurial Finance, Raising Capital, Marketing Innovations. Could you provide insight over these courses. How are these courses? How are the faculties who are imparting these courses.

I am not sure what exactly are you looking to learn about these courses. The above courses are all pretty popular among different sections of the MBA class. I have personally not taken any of the above electives, but I have heard a lot of great things about Prof. David Robinson (Entr. Finance) and Prof. Debu Purohit (Marketing of Innovations). You may find more information here: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/student_resou ... cs/courses

2) I also wanted to find out about some clubs and what all events they have. On fuqua's site I couldnt find details on that.
Duke MBA Finance Club
Marketing Club
Asian Business Club
FuquaVision
Fuqua-Improv
Fuqua Speaks

Thanks

I believe you would be able to see the club listings and their websites from this link https://fuqua.campusgroups.com/club_signup
Hi

Will it be possible for you to get me in touch with those students who have taken those courses.
I am not able to get through those students from website.

Thanks

MBA Student

by becnil » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:59 am
Hi,

It will be pretty difficult to get you in touch with students in these classes, at least for me, because I have already graduated (May 2013). Also, honestly, I am not sure why you would need to do that for the purpose of your application. I think you just need to have a good understanding of the class dynamics, the teaching style, and the student-teacher interaction to gauge whether it fits your style and vice versa. And you could get this information by visiting campus & sitting in the available class/classes, or from any student (current or recent graduate), irrespective of a specific course.

Thank you.
Niladri.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Pleaman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:00 pm
Hi guys

Could you connect me with someone who took this course?
"ENRGYENV 895 - Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum: Energy and Environment Focus (6 credits)"
Does FCCP mean that team of 5-6 students work with real client's business problem, which operates in energy industry?
It would be interesting to know what type of client, which country, which function and so on...

Thank you in advance...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by anukrati » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:38 am
anukrati wrote:
becnil wrote:I have a qu estion in addition to what you have answered.

Duke MBA Finance Club
Marketing Club
Asian Business Club
FuquaVision
Fuqua-Improv
Fuqua Speaks

Thanks

Hi

Will it be possible for you to get me in touch with those students who have taken those courses.
I am not able to get through those students from website.

Thanks
Hi can you please provide details about what you have heard great about those professors.
Also, can you let me know what exactly is the way classes are imparted which sets Fuqua apart.

Thanks

MBA Student

by becnil » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:30 pm
Hi can you please provide details about what you have heard great about those professors.

Let me ask you a question - what would you say are a few characteristics of a "great" professor?

Also, can you let me know what exactly is the way classes are imparted which sets Fuqua apart.

A couple of things:
Fuqua emphasizes a lot on candid discussions in the class; in many classes that I have taken, the Professor has merely played a role of a facilitator. Further, the underlying Team Fuqua spirit enable class discussion to be insightful and interactive, yet not intimidiating (barring a few exceptins of course!)The team aspect also enables us to leverage the incredible talent of the student pool; for example, I have found great help from the informal review sessions held by my own classmates in clarifying doubts about various concepts.

There is a great balance between theoretical lecture-style presentation and experiential/case-based learning. In addition, almost all classes have a Team aspect which helps you build/bolster your skills of collaboration, and also allows you to develop genuine relationships.

The six-week terms allow you to be exposed to a variety of topics throughout your MBA; this allows you to try a number of directions before settling on a specific concentration, or, if you like, to experience a rich, well-rounded General Management program.

The faculty, the administration, the staff, the alumni, and the students form a truly coehsive bond at Fuqua; there is a great deal of collaboration, feedback, and responsive action that shape our curriculum - which includes not only academic classes, but experiential courses (Consulting Practicum, Mentored Study), international exchange programs etc.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by mayuribaid » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:06 pm
I am currently struggling with getting my essays through for Round 2. My GMAT Score is 730 (Q50 V38), working with a top ranked healthcare consulting company for past 3.5 years. I am targeting Fuqua, Darden, and Kellogg and am looking at a possible career in marketing. To be more concise I plan to get into brand management for a CPG or apparel company and I am kind of worried, if saying this in my essays will be a hard point to convince the adcoms about considering my limited experience on marketing. Also specifically in case of Fuqua where Healthcare constitutes a primary recruting segment, would it be of any help to keep healthcare and not CPG in my short term long term goals.

- One related question, what kind of marketing roles are offered typically apart from brand management and are there any fashion/entertainment(not sports) related brands that visit the campus?

Any suggestions and thoughts around this will be appreciated.