Anyone have problems with quantative sections??

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
It seems that most people on here have problems with verbal. I'm completely opposite.....I'm outstanding at verbal, but HORRIBLE at quantative. I'm lucky I can add.

Anyone have any success stories in upping their math scores??

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by lastday » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:30 am
What about working with a math tutor? I replied to you in your other thread, where you said you took the Kaplan course. Was the instructor able to help you with math? One of the courses has a math boot camp, can't remember if it's Kaplan or Princeton Review, but I'm thinking it's PR.

You're really going to need solid math skills in b-school, so you might even want to consider taking a math course at a community college near you this summer. You can do that while studying for the GMAT, wouldn't need to put it off.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:24 pm
As a GMAT teacher AND a community college instructor, I also recommend the community college math course. You'll get a lot more of a foundation in simple math than any GMAT course can give you. Even at Veritas, where we have 18-21 hours devoted to math (depending on the course), we assume a lot of prior knowledge. A prep course with only 12-ish hours devoted to math would be even harder!

On top of that, remember: the great majority of the math on the GMAT is not hard. It's the way the questions are asked that is tricky. Once you get your fundamentals down, make sure you spend a lot of time breaking down problems and understanding the tricks.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep