any gmatter in Pakistan , Karachi ?

Organize face-to-face meetings with other members
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

any gmatter in Pakistan , Karachi ?

by barira1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:25 am
I am planning to give the exam in October . anyone frm Karachi?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Troika » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:10 am
Hey, I'm in Karachi and plan to take the test around the same time as you.

ok

by barira1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:48 pm
so your joined any institute ? or self study?

by Troika » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:59 am
I'm studying on my own as of now but am flirting with the idea of taking the Princeton Review course.

The only thing holding me back is that I'm not completely convinced that the PR course is geared towards those aiming for a high score. I'm not terribly impressed by PR's Cracking the GMAT. Also, I'd like to speak to someone who's taken it before I sign up. What about you?

hey

by barira1 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:52 am
i joined the princeton institute but i strongly belive that you prepare for ur own. just started you can say
i follow my own timetable the whole week , not yet registered but will submit the fees at the end of this money.
you got OG 12?

by Troika » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:05 am
Hmm...nope, I don't have OG 12 as yet, I'm working through OG 11. If you sign up for the PR course, you get it with their course materials. Otherwise, you could always order it on Amazon.

OG12

by barira1 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:23 pm
i got the OG12 ,
do you have any idea where we get the Manhattan Books in karachi ?

by Troika » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:09 am
The Manhattan books are not available. I've checked with Liberty and Paramount, they have all the books except for Manhattan. Do let me know if you find them.

Manhattan

by barira1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:14 pm
i have checked also , its not .,
i got the online Manhattan books but those are an old version but i will use at the end to solve and practice .

by Troika » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:54 am
If you want the new version you could also check with a Manhattan representative in the customer service thread https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-a-manhat ... e-f38.html. They'll probably be able to tell you if they're supplying the study guides anywhere in Pakistan.

by hamxa » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:57 pm
Nice to see you here Barira and HG10.
I am from lahore and taking GMAT on 19th Jan.
Also seeking ppl from lhr for weekend group sessions.
I have OG 12 and know a shop where you can buy. If you need the address, PM me.

Good luck with the prep, has anyone from you finalized your test dates yet ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:23 pm
Sorry for delaying at adding this thread in the list... I've been inactive on forums lately... :(

I'd request other moderators/admins to take charge & monitor this area of forum as well.

by barira1 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:55 am
yes , i m giving my exam on 2nd March InshAllah.

by aslan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:58 am
i strongly urge ppl of not taking thr PR course here in Pakistan.Waste of money and time!.It is geared mainly for ppl with no quant background and aimed at 600's.Instructors are also not dedicated your scores and act as if you are just idiots who can never achieve any high scores....plus many classes are also filled with non interested students who just go their to pass time, crack jokes with teacher, as their aim is only to give scores in their local universities.Three hour classes just whiz by and the instructor used to closed his books and run away really fast....or just kep saying 'yaaar this is so easy, just hunt and pick from all choices'....iam telling you this approach really wasted a lot of my time on questions and eventually I had to ditch it.He used to sit on his book and read and solve from OG (like we go there to just see how he solves questions himself)....no tips no tricks, didnt even tell about multiples!! *&*"|*<>!#

PR Played havoc with my already established algebra concepts with their 'hunt and pick' methods and said of not to use algebra at all!.Trust me, apart from Verbal help, it will be a waste.Even their instructors are working part time here n there and in the end the course gets finished and you don't even get the whole idea of many many things.I had to study for myself and end up with a bad score of 580.

Also if you cannot get Manhattan then at least buy their CAT tests...they are GOLD standard of what you will actually see on GMAT also their algo are pretty tuned up with gmatprep, but much harder quants and verbal..PR will give you CAT's on which you will have a hard time scoring in 40's on quants. Their algo is flawed and on tougher questions they only fill up with combinotoric and prob questions, coming one after another (to make it seem that their section is hard, if you score 8 9 correct in a row)....on the real test I only saw one permutation question and that one was also very easy.Further more, when I gave GMATprep the first time I got a Q45... and the damn PR was not giving me better than Q38-Q37 on any test!
They are not really in the GMAT game ppl and most of their interest and classes were filled with 'Inligua test'

I'm currently not in Pakistan but plan to give it again, with Manhattan CATS now.

by hamxa » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:34 pm
Hello and thanks for the very useful information about Princeton Review.
It has always been tough finding a good place for GMAT preparation and ironically in Pakistan, there are no professional institutions that are least bit sympathetic with the students.

Because I have not personally taken PR course so I will only partially agree with you. So I agree they are expensive and I have yet to see anyone convinced by their prep. Also, the class profile is not competent.

I also agree with your comments on probability. We tend to waste lot of time on that and in actual exam, there is hardly one question from it.
But I did get prob. in data sufficiency, hence I would suggest to study probability but dont get dragged into it too much, also to do it in mid preparation and then in the end, as doing probability in the end, only once is not suggested specially for students with non-engr background.

I did my prep mostly myself, only joined LEADS (near kalma chowk, lhr) to make a regular routine. And, it only helped me as much as I had expected.

My two cents about the preparation:
Manhattan GMAT CATS: I concur with aslan - GOLD.
Manhattan GMAT books: very good, I know a place in pk, if someone is interested to get them.
CR POWER SCORE BIBLE: must have.
kaplan CATS: Very tough but v good for practice. (Although large deviation from actual GMAT
Official guides -10-11-12: must complete all. (each one 30% different from the next)

Further prep:
1000 series for RC. (not recommended for CR or SC, as some errors)

For any further help, you can always ping me before I start my MBA :)
joining Melbourne B school in Jan 2011, inshallah ....

Best of luck,
[email protected]