am i crazy?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

am i crazy?

by jeni jeni » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:57 pm
I just decided to apply to a masters program earlier this week. I plan to take the test in a month. No desire to get into the best school, I'm just applying to a local college. I guess I will know better tomorrow if its possible for me to get a decent score in a month as I'm taking a practice test tomorrow afternoon to get a benchmark score. I think they said at my information session that last year's class scored between 500-740? I haven't taken a standardized test in 12 years. It is reasonable to think I can hit the 600s in a month's time?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:09 pm
Hi Jenny,

You aren't crazy -- lots of people try to attempt the GMAT in 30 days. It's not wise, but it's possible. :-)

Your score will depend a lot on your natural test-taking ability, your familiarity with the GMAT's content (arithmetic, algebra, geometry, grammar, reading comprehension skills), etc.

Beat the GMAT has a 30 days Study Plan which you should follow if you are planning to go ahead -- keep in mind you'll need to study for several hours 6-7 days a week, so you'll need to consider whether you have that time available in the next 30 days.

Here are the tips I'd suggest:

1. Start with the Official Guide. Learn the format, content, and do a general overview of the GMAT test itself using the OG 12th editions. Make sure to go to MBA.com and
2. Study every day, and don't procrastinate! You will need to be disciplined about your studies. Work backwards from your test date. Don't cram on the weekends only! With only one month to study, you'll need to do at least some GMAT every single day.
3. Use MGMAT SC & Powerscore CR to supplement your materials. After the OG, these are two Verbal books that can take your score to the next level.

4. Join Grockit, and Beat the GMAT. These online GMAT sites are vital to building your comfort level with the computer-based format of the GMAT. Practicing in the test-format will only increase your chances of doing well!

5. Study in short, intensive blocks. GMAT study blocks that are too long will ultimately wear you down. Make sure to rotate your study topics often and abide by it, even if you'd like to squeeze in a few more hours. Staying up all night to complete yet another practice test is not always the best choice.

6. Track down success stories to get inspired. If you have a 600 and are eyeing a 700+ score, there are many people out there who have made that leap. Success leaves footprints. Find out what strategies are commonly used by 750+ students, what study plans they keep, and how they build their content-knowledge. Beat the GMAT is an excellent tool for this!

7. Create an Error Log. Re-take quizzes and practice tests from the very beginning of your GMAT studies. Do you find yourself getting the same questions incorrect? This can be a sign that you haven't learned the content you think you have. Be honest with yourself about what is "sinking in" and what is not. Use an Error Log to assess. You can find many templates online

8. Review all questions. Use the 40/60 rule. 40% of your time should be spent actually answering questions. At minimum, 60% of your time should be spent reviewing.

9. Take at least 1 GMAT practice test per week. Don't take your practice tests sitting cross-legged on you bed. Utilize your desk and scratch pad as you would on the actual test. Your body needs to adjust to what it feels like to take a 3+ hour test. Because you only have one month to prepare, you should plan to take 4 practice tests, although 6 would be ideal.

10. Use a strategy for each question type. Not only do you have to choose a strategy that works for you, but you have to implement it every time, practicing enough so that is becomes second-hand. Ballet dancers practice a pirouette millions of times, so that when they perform onstage they don't have to think about it. You want to do the same thing for GMAT.

Good luck! :-)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:51 pm
Getting the score you are aiming for depends entirely on your potential. There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal
Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions
online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your
smart phones