Although many

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Although many

by YellowSapphire » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:48 am
Source: Veritas Prep CR2
99. Although many seventeenth-century broadsides, popular ballads printed on a single sheet of paper and widely sold by street peddlers, were moralizing in nature, this is not evidence that most seventeenth-century people were serious about moral values. While over half of surviving broadsides contain moralizing statements, and it is known that many people purchased such compositions, it is not known why they did so, nor is it known how their own beliefs related to what they read.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A: Like other forms of cheap seventeenth-century popular literature, surviving broadsides seems mostly to have been rather low literary quality and to have been written by hack writers.
B: In many moralizing ballades, the moral content was confined to a single stanza expressing a pious sentiment tacked onto a sensationalized account of the crime and adultery.
C: Some seventeenth-century ballad sellers also sold some sermons printed in pamphlet form.
D: The clergy occasionally stuck broadsides warning about the danger of strong drink on the doors of seventeenth-century alehouses.
E: Well-educated people of the seventeenth century held broadsides in contempt and considered broadside peddlers to be disreputable vagrants.

OA: B
Last edited by YellowSapphire on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yellow Sapphire

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:48 am
I'll go with B.

The ballades might be moralizing in nature, but few people who buy these even understood that they are meant to somehow improve their morals.
Yep.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by 007.r.mason » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:10 pm
I would go with (D), I see 2 problems with (B), first it does not mention 17th century. so we are not sure what the date on these pamphlets is. Second, even if the religious message was short, there is little evidence that people did not follow the religious message.

With (d), what is stated is that quite a few of these pamphlets may be put at bars (alehouses) to moralize people... so created do ensure that people go on the righteous path...

again, I may be wrong.. Whats the OA
Aim high!!
Achieve excellence!!

by SeemaSkl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:16 pm
B too

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 pm
D mentions nothing of moral standards.

Danger and moral have a pretty big gap between the two.
Yep.

by vijaynaik » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:19 pm
IMO B.

by psychomath » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:27 am
Is it B?

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:37 am
YellowSapphire wrote:Source: Veritas Prep CR2
99. Although many seventeenth-century broadsides, popular ballads printed on a single sheet of paper and widely sold by street peddlers, were moralizing in nature, this is not evidence that most seventeenth-century people were serious about moral values. While over half of surviving broadsides contain moralizing statements, and it is known that many people purchased such compositions, it is not known why they did so, nor is it known how their own beliefs related to what they read.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A: Like other forms of cheap seventeenth-century popular literature, surviving broadsides seems mostly to have been rather low literary quality and to have been written by hack writers.
B: In many moralizing ballades, the moral content was confined to a single stanza expressing a pious sentiment tacked onto a sensationalized account of the crime and adultery.
C: Some seventeenth-century ballad sellers also sold some sermons printed in pamphlet form.
D: The clergy occasionally stuck broadsides warning about the danger of strong drink on the doors of seventeenth-century alehouses.
E: Well-educated people of the seventeenth century held broadsides in contempt and considered broadside peddlers to be disreputable vagrants.
ok. this cr is tough for me bc there are so many new word.
B is my choice

GMAT Score:730

by 007.r.mason » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:39 pm
It seems the OA is B. I looked up the answer key on Amazon..

https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Reasonin ... 1936240092

Go to page 160 and look for Question number 99
Aim high!!
Achieve excellence!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:14 pm
It's B. The conclusion is that the fact that there is some moral content doesn't prove that broadsides were bought for moral enlightenment. B tells us the moral content was small and that they were mainly about GMAT and violence. That supports the contention that they weren't purchased for their moral content. Kind of like saying people buy Playboy for the articles.
Tani Wolff

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by YellowSapphire » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:18 am
I am still not understood.
Yellow Sapphire

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:31 pm
WE are told there is very little moral content and a lot of GMAT and violence - therefore, we can't assume they are buying it for the moral content, but for the GMAT.
Tani Wolff

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:53 am
OK boys and girls.

i think the problem here is more fundamental -- i think that a lot of people solving this problem are not actually grasping what is the conclusion of this argument. in particular, anyone who is picking choice (d) is mistaken about what he or she thinks is the conclusion. (in order to pick (d), you'd have to think that the argument is trying to state exactly the opposite of what it's really saying.)

for easy consumption, i've highlighted the conclusion of the argument in big, bold red text below.
YellowSapphire wrote:Source: Veritas Prep CR2
now that this is clear, i suspect that most of the posters here will have a much easier time understanding why the correct answer here is correct (and why the wrong answers are, well, wrong).
basically, (b), by indicating that there is other alluring content in the poems, gives us additional reason to suspect that the moral values aren't the main point.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:58 am
by the way, to the person who wrote this:
007.r.mason wrote:I would go with (D), I see 2 problems with (B), first it does not mention 17th century. so we are not sure what the date on these pamphlets is. Second, even if the religious message was short, there is little evidence that people did not follow the religious message.
this is NOT the way to approach strengthen/weaken problems.

here, you are nitpicking on the little details of the argument. that is an excellent strategy to use on other question types, such as "find the assumption" or "draw the conclusion" (which hinge on whether the answer choices stay within the exact scope of the given statements), but it's not a good strategy to use on strengthen/weaken problems.

on strengthen/weaken problems, don't worry about small details. instead, use "real world thinking", and consider the big picture of the argument.

this is sort of annoying -- you have to go back and forth between
* thinking like a real-world human being (on strengthen/weaken and "explain the discrepancy" problems)
and
* thinking like an academic robot, placing little value on common sense (on "find the assumption" and "draw the conclusion" problems)
... but, if you don't understand the important difference between the two modes of thinking, you will constantly be muddled when you go back and forth between the problem types.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by rooster » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:08 am
diebeatsthegmat wrote: ok. this cr is tough for me bc there are so many new word.
B is my choice
I agree with lunar. I think many people got lost in all the new terms, especially since the answers require some time to get a little used to.

In many moralizing ballades, the moral content was confined to a single stanza expressing a pious sentiment tacked onto a sensationalized account of the crime and adultery.

B is the correct choice because it provides an explanation that while there was moral content. the key word is that it's confined, meaning that there was moral content was sparse. I could see how this info could be difficult for non-native speakers to grasp.