Alaska

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Alaska

by graghukalyan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:47 am
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.

(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves0
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted

Not sure if this question has already been asked before. If yes, pls do paste the Discussion URL.
I am able to boil down to two options. But unable to decide.
My final options : [spoiler]A & C[/spoiler]

OA - C

Request explanations while answering !

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by riteshbindal » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:05 am
A and C seemed good options to me also but finally selected C because of the word "its" in the second clause of sentence. "It" is ambiguous whether it should refer to state or Alaska.
In C, the problem of pronoun is cleverly removed by removing "it".

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Alaska

by vikram_k51 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:58 am
graghukalyan wrote:Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state�s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.

(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state�s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves0
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state�s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state�s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state�s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state�s economy after oil reserves are exhausted

Not sure if this question has already been asked before. If yes, pls do paste the Discussion URL.
I am able to boil down to two options. But unable to decide.
My final options : [spoiler]A & C[/spoiler]

OA - C

Request explanations while answering !

D seems to be the best