Advices needed about preparation.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advices needed about preparation.

by daisyaaa » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:15 pm
Hi guys. I just took my GMAT today, it was a terrible experience. I scored 570.... far lower than my expectation.
48/51 in Quantitative
21/51 in Verbal

I think I must get some questions wrong consecutively, which drags down my score. However, the verbal section really matters me.

Before I took the exam, I tried some questions from OG but didn't finish all of them.
I also used materials including Manhattan grammar SC and several stuff about CR shared on the Internet, but all of them left unfinished.
Besides, several days before the exam, I started to find RC that seems a strong thing for me become problematic. These are factors that influence my final score. Really help for some suggestion for verbal. Thx in advance!

I attempted G prep twice 5 days before the exam, and both of them scored around 600. This really disappoints me and gives me an idea that my real score will be around that level.
I know i'm not fully prepared because I used less than a month from being an amateur of GMAT to a test-taker.
:oops:

Forget to mention, I'm a final year student and preparing for postgraduate study. [/img]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:27 pm
Hi daisyaaa,

You will probably get a better response if you post this in the Strategy Forum (this is the Test Maker Forum).

Regarding your performance, a 570 is within range of the 600s that you were scoring during your practice, so your performance was in line with the work that you had done.

To improve, you're going to need to put in some more study time. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) preparing for the GMAT and use more resources than what you have used so far.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by daisyaaa » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:21 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi daisyaaa,

You will probably get a better response if you post this in the Strategy Forum (this is the Test Maker Forum).

Regarding your performance, a 570 is within range of the 600s that you were scoring during your practice, so your performance was in line with the work that you had done.

To improve, you're going to need to put in some more study time. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) preparing for the GMAT and use more resources than what you have used so far.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,
Thank your for your advice. I also think I would better to spend more time on it. Anyway, dealing with verbal part is the first thing to do.

Best wishes,
Daisy

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:55 am
daisyaaa wrote:Hi guys. I just took my GMAT today, it was a terrible experience. I scored 570.... far lower than my expectation.
48/51 in Quantitative
21/51 in Verbal

I think I must get some questions wrong consecutively, which drags down my score. However, the verbal section really matters me.

Before I took the exam, I tried some questions from OG but didn't finish all of them.
I also used materials including Manhattan grammar SC and several stuff about CR shared on the Internet, but all of them left unfinished.
Besides, several days before the exam, I started to find RC that seems a strong thing for me become problematic. These are factors that influence my final score. Really help for some suggestion for verbal. Thx in advance!

I attempted G prep twice 5 days before the exam, and both of them scored around 600. This really disappoints me and gives me an idea that my real score will be around that level.
I know i'm not fully prepared because I used less than a month from being an amateur of GMAT to a test-taker.
:oops:

Forget to mention, I'm a final year student and preparing for postgraduate study. [/img]
Hello, daisyaaa. I am sorry to hear that you were not able to score as well as you expected on the exam. It sounds as if you have a good handle on which skills you need to focus on, which will help you to craft a study strategy for next time. That is all great news! If you haven't already done so, you could take a look at the Official Guide for GMAT Review-Verbal, which will give you even more practice with the verbal section. You can find that here: https://www.mba.com/verbalreview2?CID=06 ... ID=80.0042

I also suggest you repost this question to one of the main GMAT study forums. You will be able to connect with other GMAT students and test prep coaches who can help you with specific study strategies. This forum is to ask questions to GMAC, the makers of the GMAT exam and, unfortunately, we cannot help you with specific study strategy. Please note that the other poster in this thread is an independent consultant and not affiliated with or endorsed by GMAC in any way.

Good luck!

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!