Advice Required:Which Programs to Apply For

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advice Required:Which Programs to Apply For

by DZoKEr » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:43 pm
Hello everyone,
My name is Palash Singhal. I am a final year undergraduate student pursuing a dual degree in Electrical Engineering along with Economics from BITS Pilani, India. I took GMAT on 9th July 2016 and have scored a 770(AWA 5.5, IR 5, Q51, V44). My current CGPA is 7.62/10. With my current situation, I am confused as to which programs around the world can I apply for where I have a realistic chance.

Profile:-
2 internships- Mostly technical in nature
Extra-Curriculars:-
1. Member of college basketball team for one edition of sports festival of the college.
2. Member of Enactus Chapter of the college. Was part of the team which worked with a group of rural women to enable them to generate a part-time income using their cooking skills.
3. Member of Photography Club of the college.

Please help me evaluate my current profile and suggest future options where I can think of applying.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:39 am
DZoKEr wrote:Hello everyone,
Hi DZoKEr (AKA Palash!), First congratulations on your 770 GMAT. Certainly you don't see that every day.Your GPA is not quite in the same range. While there may be some programs that will take you without work experience, to get the most mileage from the 770 GMAT you really should combine it with some great work experience too. You have a realistic chance at any program in the world- seriously- with the 770- but only if you combine it with meaningful work. You did not mention your targets after college for work. I would suggest leveraging your Economics coursework into something that is related to finance- this will also set you apart from your pool if you can work in an area beyond IT, which is far more common. Of course the most important question is what do YOU want to do? I'd spend some time on this and put some effort into finding the most challenging and interesting and cross-cultural work that you can and do it well for 3 yrs and then take that 770 and the MBA world is your oyster. We work with candidates in profile development to help people to plan a successful path to the MBA program of their dreams. You can private message me or go to our website at stratusprep.com to find out more about that. We have 30 min free consults which would explain how we would help someone like you to make the most of their work experience to position themselves best for an M7 MBA. Best wishes to you!
My name is Palash Singhal. I am a final year undergraduate student pursuing a dual degree in Electrical Engineering along with Economics from BITS Pilani, India. I took GMAT on 9th July 2016 and have scored a 770(AWA 5.5, IR 5, Q51, V44). My current CGPA is 7.62/10. With my current situation, I am confused as to which programs around the world can I apply for where I have a realistic chance.

Profile:-
2 internships- Mostly technical in nature
Extra-Curriculars:-
1. Member of college basketball team for one edition of sports festival of the college.
2. Member of Enactus Chapter of the college. Was part of the team which worked with a group of rural women to enable them to generate a part-time income using their cooking skills.
3. Member of Photography Club of the college.

Please help me evaluate my current profile and suggest future options where I can think of applying.

Thanks

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by DZoKEr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:02 am
Hi Donna,
Thanks for your wonderful reply. It was really encouraging. I am sorry for replying late but I did not check the forum for sometime due to some reasons.
Post my MBA, I planned to work in management consulting domain but right now I am open to exploring other options. I would be grateful if you could shed light on a few things-
1. I would like to know if there are other deferred admission programs such as the ISB-YLP where my candidature shall hold good. I am aware of HBS 2+2 and Yale Silver Scholars Program but I am not sure of the strength of my candidature at such places.
2. If I would like to study abroad after graduation itself instead of waiting for say 2-3 years, what other options do I have with me?
Thanks a lot once again