Admitted !!

This topic has 5 member replies
psyborg Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
15 messages

Admitted !!

Post Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:59 am
Hello,

I am very happy to report that today I have received an admit from 2 MBA colleges of my choice.
I started out my journey with a GMAT score of 560 during my first attempt in Dec 2008. Thereafter, I decided to retake the GMAT but to my surprise received an even lower score of 540.
However, I did apply to five schools and have also been selected by 3 MBA schools. One of them is American University - Kogod School of Business in Washington DC. I have also received a scholarship of 3500$ per semester or 14,000$ (25%) of the MBA program covered over 2 years.
I also received a mail from Baruch College on 28th May requesting for a phone interview. I must say, the phone interview was very tough (according to me) as the questions were quite complicated. I had to make split second decisions but all in all faired pretty well on the interview. Sounding confident is the key. You have to be focused !
So I just received a mail from Baruch within 24hrs of my phone interview. I have received an admit to the Full Time Honors program at Baruch - Zicklin School of Business.

I also received a mail from Fordham University the very same day. I have received an admission from Fordham as well. I was pretty amazed that the school did not demand a phone interview. However, the MBA program is very good at this school also.

I feel really proud of myself today and I can say with pride that your GMAT score is not all that matters. I am sure 560 is pretty low for Baruch considering I had applied in the last and final round. My essays were stellar and my interview was fantastic. I believe the phone interview plays a BIG part in the MBA admissions. I live in India and need to get to NY by Aug 3rd !!

I am very confused on deciding between Baruch and Fordham. I am more inclined towards the Honors MBA program at Baruch College. However, I am getting mixed reactions from people. There is the whole private college versus public college confusion and rankings in general

I would appreciate your views on the above college and on which would be better in terms of career prospects post my MBA and the business school on general. Please help me in selecting my college.

Thanks very much for all the wonderful posts. I have been a silent observer here. This website has the best resources.
Cheers
Cool

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Vitalina Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
116 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Test Date:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:56 am
I am sorry that I can't help you with your choice of schools, but CONGRATS man! And you are a proof once again that GMAT is NOT everything
Enjoy your MBA Very Happy

Posted:
15 messages
Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:42 pm
Hey thanks Vitalina....

Could someone please help me on selecting the better school between Baruch and Fordham in terms of career prospects and general MBA structure. Thanks !

Posted:
15 messages
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:07 pm
Greetings,

I have just got to know that I have also received an admit from Pace University. I am a little confused at this point as I have admits from 4 schools now. My top choice however is still Baruch only because I have found out more about this college than Fordham. However, I am still not clear on which is the better college betweem Baruch and Fordham. If anyone can provide thair inputs, that would be greatly appreciated

Cheers !

rasha4 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
13 messages
Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:42 pm
which school did u choose eventually and why? how did u find it?
thanks

ph69917 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
8 messages
Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:49 am
Psyborg - Congrats on your acceptances. From what I know about the schools, it depends on a couple of factors:

1. What field are you trying to get into? Marketing/Finance/Accounting/Consulting/General Management/etc?
2. Where do you plan to work after school?
3. Is it a FT or PT program?
4. Is the MBA for career progression or for career switching?

Given from what I know and working with people in Finance down on Wall Street. Baruch and Fordham are both good regional schools to the NY area, although a degree from Fordham will probably carry farther through to the tri-state area and beyond. Fordham is probably a better choice if you're looking to do Finance, although Baruch is not that much farther behind. If you look at the recent US News Rankings and Rankings on Businessweek.com, that should give you a good starting basis to do your research, student comments on businessweek will give you a great indicator of student experiences at both schools.

On a side note, not that it really matters, but given you're an international student, I've heard Baruch has an extremely diverse student population.

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 111 topics
2 ardz24 64 topics
3 LUANDATO 62 topics
4 swerve 60 topics
5 AAPL 57 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

160 posts
2 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

130 posts
3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

122 posts
4 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

122 posts
5 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

118 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts