Admission: MS in Technology Commercialization

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Admission: MS in Technology Commercialization

by Eva76 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 am
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone heard of Master in Science in Technology Commercialization- MSTC.
I got dinged by a school for their MBA program but they think I am good fit for their MSTC program. MSTC is also a business degree offered thought the same business school but focussed on Technology. The program is about 15 years old.

I have to decide within 3-4 days so if anyone knows about this program, pros and cons please advice. Thanks, Eva

by speedydooo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:20 pm
Hello Eva,

I am a current MSTC student and absolutely love the program. MSTC is a one year program (3 semesters - 30 hours). While MSTC focuses on high growth technology businesses/ideas, the same process of idea evaluation, market validation and the rest can be used in other forms of businesses as well.

This program has changed the way I think, the way I look at things/ideas and the way I do just about anything. Another bonus of this program is the network of people you gain with this program, all the way from working with the professors to the speakers and any other touch points you may have throughout the year.

You will have a chance to work on multiple ideas throughout the year. The purpose is to get the experience of evaluating an idea and taking it to market. What would be ideal is that while you are enrolled in this program, you take one of the ideas (whether your idea, University idea or other) you have worked on during the school year and launch an venture by the end of the school year. You have the options on going on a roadshow and doing business plan presentations which could win you enough money to fund the startup.

Hope this helps. You can contact me if you need any other info or help.

Hussain

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by kruthika » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:21 am
Wow..seems interesting.. Can you name some colleges offering this program?

by Eva76 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:43 pm
Hi Kruthika,

The one I was talking about is offered through McCombs School of Business-UT Austin.
The program director's name is Dr. Gary Cadenhead. I had the opportunity to meet with him. The meeting was a delight! He is straight-forward about program details and is very dedicated to promoting the MSTC program. You can schedule an appointment with him on the phone and I am sure you will gain plenty of insight.

Best of luck!
eva