Admission Consultant Selection

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Admission Consultant Selection

by rockthegmat11 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:10 am
i want to get help with the application process. however, i am really confused about which company to contact. i know all the myths about admission consultants, and so im not expecting anything ridiculous. but i want the best help possible, considering that is costs so much. any suggestions? veritas vs stacy blackman vs accpeted vs clearadmit vs admissionsconsultant?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

Re: Admission Consultant Selection

by albyman32 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:02 am
rockthegmat11 wrote:i want to get help with the application process. however, i am really confused about which company to contact. i know all the myths about admission consultants, and so im not expecting anything ridiculous. but i want the best help possible, considering that is costs so much. any suggestions? veritas vs stacy blackman vs accpeted vs clearadmit vs admissionsconsultant?
Would you mind elaborating on what these myths are? I'm trying to decide if I want to use a service when I apply next year.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:58 pm
Hi Rock,
Can I make a shameless plug for Veritas Prep?!?!

Haha... seriously, I would STRONGLY encourage you to reach out to these companies and learn more about their services, in terms of how they are different. Get a feel for how they will support you. Think about things like"

- What services you get based on pricing
- What is the feedback like (written vs. one-on-one conversation with advisor)
- Who are you working with (advisers with AdCom expereince?)
- GET REFERENCES
- Check their placement rate

Many of the top Admissions consulting firms are on this site (check the 'ASK section', so ask here or contact them directly.

Good luck!!

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tmino » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:01 am
If you want an alternative to admissions consultants, please check our page:
www.MBAvolunteers.org

We are current and former MBA students from top schools providing feedback on your application in exchange for a donation to charity.

One tip: First do some research on your own. There are TONS of free online resources out there with admission tips and advice. Then there are also plenty of books which are really helpful (e.g. How To Get Into the Top MBA Programs (by Montauk)). After researching a lot and doing your homework, maybe you won't need any external help at all.

Good luck!
MBAvolunteers - Application feedback in exchange for a donation to a non-profit
MBA Admission Requirements - All you need to know about getting into b-school