According to legal experts

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:690

According to legal experts

by LalaB » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:25 am
According to legal experts, doctors require that a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage be purchased to protect against the most common types of medical lawsuits.

-require that a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage be purchased to be protected
-require that there be a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage to be protected
-require that there be a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage
-require a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage for the protection
-require a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage to be protected

source kaplan

I am interested in option A
Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.(c)

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.(c)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 am
IMO B.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:16 am
LalaB wrote:According to legal experts, doctors require that a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage be purchased to protect against the most common types of medical lawsuits.

-require that a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage be purchased to be protected
-require that there be a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage to be protected

IMO: B

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:50 am
Please share OAs and OEs if possible.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:38 am
Why not D?

I eliminated A and B because of 'that'. I think 'that' is not needed here because require is followed by a nonliving thing.
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 am
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:Why not D?

I eliminated A and B because of 'that'. I think 'that' is not needed here because require is followed by a nonliving thing.
According to legal experts, doctors require that a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage be purchased to protect against the most common types of medical lawsuits.

D and E change the meaning, that "Doctor's are needed to have movey in malpractice coverage"

IMO: B

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:690

by LalaB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:37 am
the OA is E

the OE is -

Read the Original Sentence Carefully, Looking for Errors:

The original sentence features a clumsy modification. The underlined portion seems to say that doctors are responsible for the requirement that coverage must be purchased. Logically, this requirement is actually based on the knowledge of legal experts and arises from the need for protection.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

We can quickly group the choices into two groups: choices (A), (B), and (C) all use the word "that" to begin the modifying clause. Choices (D) and (E), on the other hand, eliminate the word "that."

Eliminate Choices Until Only One Remains:

We have already eliminated the original sentence, choice (A). Because choices (B) and (C) have the same misleading modification, we can eliminate them as well. Check choice (D). It fixes the modification error, but the phrase "for the protection against" at the end of the sentence is awkward. This cannot be correct. We have just one remaining choice. The phrase "to be protected against" in Choice (E) is concise and straightforward. The correct answer is Choice (E).
Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.(c)

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.(c)

Followed by:6 members

by GMAT Kolaveri » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:10 am
LalaB wrote:According to legal experts, doctors require that a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage be purchased to protect against the most common types of medical lawsuits.

source kaplan

that is unnecessary. A,B,C are out.
idiom: require X to be Y. Hence E is the correct option.
protected is the main purpose is best expressed by "to infinitive". Can someone post the link to Ron's post on difference between "to be" and "for".
Regards and Thanks,
Vinoth@GMAT Kolaveri
https://www.facebook.com/GmatKolaveri
https://gmatkolaveri.tumblr.com/

Click the thank you button if you like my reply :)

Legendary Member

by bubbliiiiiiii » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:34 am
Even I am looking forward for the explanation exploring differences between for and to be.

My 2cents of infinitive (to be):
This form conveys that an action was done with the intention of achieving something.
Ex (madeup on the spot): People ran to grab the ball first.

The sentence conveys that people ran with the intention to grab the ball.

However, I vaguely remember information about usage of 'for'. Thus, waiting for someone else to post the appropriate information.
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 pm
bubbliiiiiiii!!! I guess you are getting a bit wrong in this sentence. This sentence first is all about the meaning in the sentence as mentioned by LalaB.

Logically, the malpractice coverage is required by the doctors and so 'according to the legal experts' the doctors require the minimum coverage.

Options A, B and C say that the doctors require the patients or some other party to have a minimum coverage. And so ' the legal' experts get covered or hidden in the meaning.

The first trap in this sentence is the subjunctive used in option A.

people who can easily figure out the subjunctive must have chosen the option A.

But as LalaB mentioned, this sentence was all about the meaning in the sentence.

Then between the options D and E, option D uses the wrong idiom. Not concise and more awkard.

Hence we would go for the option E.

LalaB I hope I am correct and i also got why you picked up option A. By the way Kaplan Verbal is really very minute and difficult...
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Legendary Member

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:53 pm
Hey Amit,

Thanks for reviewing my post and trying to correct it. :)

Do you mean to say that the info pertaining to 'that' is not logical to eliminate A, B and C?

If yes, then I remember reading this information in either some post or MGMAT SC guide. Will try to bring that material here.
Regards,

Pranay

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Cont.

by gui_guimaraes » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:06 am

source kaplan

@GMATGuruNY Mitch,

Can you explain the use of 'require X to Y' vs 'require that X Y' as well as the split at the end of the sentence (to be protected VS to protect)? Tks! :)

Here is the correct version of the question (Kaplan):

(A) require that a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage be purchased to protect
(B) require that there be a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage to be protected
(C) require that there be a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage
(D) require a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage for the protection
(E) require a minimum of $250,000 in malpractice coverage to be protected