A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bornsupreme » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:43 am
Domnu wrote:Another reason is that "have been" has to be used instead of "are."
Hi Domnu,

Logic says that perfect tense can be used only if an event has happened in the past and still continues to present.Here the event is trimming and the trimming can happen only once and can not be brought to present tense. So use of have been is wrong.
Correct me where am I going wrong??

Thanks
Some choose L!fe, Some choose death.
I choose not to choose.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by pink_08 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:03 am
In the case of pronoun usage, pronouns are always placed immediately next to the noun to avoid ambuiguity. So in this example, "their" undoubtedly refers to rhinos.

how is OA referring to "their" to tourists ??

Can somebody please Clarify ???

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Anial » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:53 pm
A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns have been
D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns are
E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals' horns have been

Just a quick Question

Here doesn't Choice C changes the original meaning of the sentence.

C sounds like tourists visit game parks just to see the rhinoceroses where as in original sentence intent is not the same?

Thanks

by r2kins » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Anial wrote:A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns have been
D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns are
E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals' horns have been

Just a quick Question

Here doesn't Choice C changes the original meaning of the sentence.

C sounds like tourists visit game parks just to see the rhinoceroses where as in original sentence intent is not the same?

Thanks
As per the OG, the author intends to convey that tourists visit game parks to see the rhinoceros. Seeing the rhinoceros is the only reason why tourists visit. So, option A, which states this activity as secondary by using and is wrong and can be eliminated.

However, I am still not sure as to why, have been in option C is correct!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:16 pm
Received a PM asking me to respond. This is an OG question, so I can't discuss directly. I'm going to discuss some other random stuff that may or may not bear a close resemblance to this problem. :)

"whether" vs. "if"
Most people use "if" these days when they should be using "whether."

Use "whether" when you're trying to say "whether or not":
I want to know whether you're going to the party with me. Yes or no?

Use "if" when you're trying to convey an "if, then" sense:
If you're going to the party, (then) let me know.

When I use "and" in a sentence, the two items connected by the "and" do not have to be related to each other.

I want to know whether you will continue to drink milk and study.

Both are things that I want to know whether you will continue to do... but that's as far as they are related.

If the two things are related, then you can use something other than "and" to connect them. For example:
I want to know whether you will continue to drink milk to study (whether you are lactose intolerant).

There is a subtle meaning change here yes - though this one does not exactly mimic that other one up above.

Here's another one:

I want to know whether people will continue to visit Mars and see martians after their antennae are removed.

I want to know whether people will continue to visit Mars.
I want to know whether people will continue to see martians after their antennae are removed.

The above two sentences contain the full meaning of both parts of the sentence. Notice anything odd about that second one? Is the question really whether the martians will become invisible after their antennae are removed? (Well, we are talking about martians, so maybe that's possible! ;))

What would fix the meaning of that second part?

Ah - slightly changing the original meaning would fix that. I want to know whether people will continue to visit Mars TO see martians after their antennae are removed. That makes more sense!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by Onell » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:47 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote:Received a PM asking me to respond. This is an OG question, so I can't discuss directly. I'm going to discuss some other random stuff that may or may not bear a close resemblance to this problem. :)

"whether" vs. "if"

When I use "and" in a sentence, the two items connected by the "and" do not have to be related to each other.

Both are things that I want to know whether you will continue to do... but that's as far as they are related.

If the two things are related, then you can use something other than "and" to connect them. For example:
I want to know whether you will continue to drink milk to study (whether you are lactose intolerant).

There is a subtle meaning change here yes - though this one does not exactly mimic that other one up above.

Here's another one:

I want to know whether people will continue to visit Mars and see martians after their antennae are removed.

I want to know whether people will continue to see martians after their antennae are removed.

The above two sentences contain the full meaning of both parts of the sentence. Notice anything odd about that second one? Is the question really whether the martians will become invisible after their antennae are removed? (Well, we are talking about martians, so maybe that's possible! ;))

Ah - slightly changing the original meaning would fix that. I want to know whether people will continue to visit Mars TO see martians after their antennae are removed. That makes more sense!

Is present perfect tense in option E necessary? OG says have been trimmed is used to reflect that the trimming must occur before the tourist arrive.

what if we replace have been with are... will option e still be correct

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:47 am
simplyjat wrote:A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are

OA C

My question is what is wrong with the original sentence?
I received a PM asking me to comment.

Here's the approach that I would use:

As noted above, there is a 3/2 split between whether and if. If is used for a conditional situation; whether is used to discuss options. Since the sentence is discussing options -- the tourists will or will not continue to visit -- the word whether is correct. Eliminate D and E.

In B, the pronoun their incorrectly refers either to one or to tourists. Eliminate B.

In A, the pronoun their could be referring either to tourists or to rhinoceroses. Since C avoids this ambiguity by omitting the pronoun their, C is the better answer choice. Eliminate A.

The correct answer is C.

I have been asked about the split between are (present tense) and have been (present perfect tense). The present perfect tense is needed here. One use of the present perfect is to express a future action that will be completed before another future action. The use of the present perfect have been trimmed makes it clear that the trimming will be happening -- in the future -- before the tourists will or will not continue to visit. The adverb once further indicates that the present perfect is needed: Once X has happened, then Y will happen.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by voodoo_child » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:53 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
simplyjat wrote:A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

OA C

My question is what is wrong with the original sentence?
I received a PM asking me to comment.

Here's the approach that I would use:

As noted above, there is a 3/2 split between whether and if. If is used for a conditional situation; whether is used to discuss options. Since the sentence is discussing options -- the tourists will or will not continue to visit -- the word whether is correct. Eliminate D and E.

In B, the pronoun their incorrectly refers either to one or to tourists. Eliminate B.

In A, the pronoun their could be referring either to tourists or to rhinoceroses. Since C avoids this ambiguity by omitting the pronoun their, C is the better answer choice. Eliminate A.

The correct answer is C.

I have been asked about the split between are (present tense) and have been (present perfect tense). The present perfect tense is needed here. One use of the present perfect is to express a future action that will be completed before another future action. The use of the present perfect have been trimmed makes it clear that the trimming will be happening -- in the future -- before the tourists will or will not continue to visit. The adverb once further indicates that the present perfect is needed: Once X has happened, then Y will happen.

I am still not clear why we have to use present perfect tense instead of present tense. Can you please reply in detail ?

Appreciate your help

-Voodoo

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by thekid27890 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:51 pm
I still got some confusion about the ambiguity pronoun in choice A. How can one think that "their" is refering to the "tourists"? We know for sure that no tourist on earth possesses a horn and that in the context of this sentence "their" clearly refers to the animal "rhinos". What I am trying to say is that we should automatically presume only rhinos have horns (in this sentence) and "their" should automatically refer to this kind of animal.
The way of eleminating choice A by exploiting the ambiguity pronoun here does not make sense to me very much. Some GMAT experts/instructors please help me out this problem.

by magic monkey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:06 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:Received a PM asking me to respond. This is an OG question, so I can't discuss directly. I'm going to discuss some other random stuff that may or may not bear a close resemblance to this problem. :)

"whether" vs. "if"

Here's another one:

Hi Stacey, I notice that we could use if like I don't know if Jack will come to attend the meeting tonight.

According to your analysis, do you mean that in the formal written English we could only use if in conditional clause, and whether in optional clause?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:03 am
magic monkey wrote: Hi Stacey, I notice that we could use if like I don't know if Jack will come to attend the meeting tonight.

According to your analysis, do you mean that in the formal written English we could only use if in conditional clause, and whether in optional clause?
A whether-clause can serve as noun.
An if-clause cannot.
Incorrect: I don't know if Jack will attend the meeting.
Here, the intent is to express WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW.
An if-clause cannot serve as the direct object of know.
Correct: I don't know WHETHER Jack will attend the meeting.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by magic monkey » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:14 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
magic monkey wrote: Hi Stacey, I notice that we could use if like I don't know if Jack will come to attend the meeting tonight.

A whether-clause can serve as noun.
An if-clause cannot.
Incorrect: I don't know if Jack will attend the meeting.
Here, the intent is to express WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW.
An if-clause cannot serve as the direct object of know.
Correct: I don't know WHETHER Jack will attend the meeting.
Thanks for your replying.

Similar usages of the incorrect version you've mentioned - I don't know if Jack will attend the meeting. - can be frequently spotted in daily sentences.

Is it a difference between spoken and written English that we should particularly notice, or say, just an incorrect usage on both sides?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sw222 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:27 am
Buzz wrote:Can someone please explain why "if"is out here?
If - in GMAT is always used to describe Cause and Effect relationship.
If X, then Y
Also note that - "then" could be missing, still the sentence will be correct. "Then" may either by explicitly mentioned or can be implicit.