Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

jabhatta wrote:Hi - in option D

As a test taker, how to determine what the subject is ...when i first read D, i thought the subject of "are" is exploits" not the gerund

Why isn't "Exploits" a candidate for the subject for the verb "Are"
A prepositional phrase is a MODIFIER.
For this reason, the main subject of a sentence will NEVER appear in a prepositional phrase.
D: Included in the pioneer journalist Nellie Bly's exploits are circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg.
Here, exploits is part of the prepositional phrase in red.
Since the main subject of a sentence cannot appear in a prepositional phrase, exploits cannot be the main subject in D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:40 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
jabhatta wrote:Hi - in option D

As a test taker, how to determine what the subject is ...when i first read D, i thought the subject of "are" is exploits" not the gerund

Why isn't "Exploits" a candidate for the subject for the verb "Are"
For this reason, the main subject of a sentence will NEVER appear in a prepositional phrase.
D: Included in the pioneer journalist Nellie Bly's exploits are circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg.
Since the main subject of a sentence cannot appear in a prepositional phrase, exploits cannot be the main subject in D.
Dear GMATGuru,

What meaning does choice E convey? why is it wrong? Is just awkward?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:36 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:Dear GMATGuru,

What meaning does choice E convey? why is it wrong? Is just awkward?

Thanks
E: The pioneer journalist's exploits of Nellie Bly.
The portions in red both convey possession and thus are redundant.
Since Nellie Bly = the pioneer journalist, the conveyed meaning is as follows:
Nellie Bly's exploits of Nellie Bly.
The conveyed meaning is redundant.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jabhatta » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:29 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi GMAT Guru NY -just following up on this response ...

How to know this is a prepositional phrase ? per my understanding, all prepositional phrases have to start with a prepositional indicator -- these are the following per the guides i am following (Manhattan)

(starting with - of / to / for / with / on / by / at /from / as / into / about / like / after / between / through / over /against / under / out of / next to / upon

The red doesnt really start with any of these prepositional indicators

Is there a general rule of thumb i am missing perhaps regarding identifying this is as a prepositional phrase ?

Thank you !
----------------------------------------------------------------

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

by [email protected] » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Everyone!

This is a tricky question that deals with modifiers, so let's dive in! Before we get started, here is the original question any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg

A. A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included
B. The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist, included
C. Nellie Bly was a pioneer journalist, included
D. Included in the pioneer journalist Nellie Bly's exploits are
E. The pioneer journalist's exploits of Nellie Bly included

Since it's clear from the earlier forum discussion that this question focuses on modifiers, let's start there.

To check for modifier problems, you need to ask yourself the following:

1. Is it absolutely clear who/what the modifier is referring to?
2. Is the modifier referring to the correct person/thing in the sentence?
3. Does the modifier placement change the intended meaning in any way?

If the modifier's antecedent is clear and correct, and it doesn't change the overall meaning, it's a properly-placed modifier! Let's take a look at each option, and answer those 3 questions to determine if they are well-placed modifiers:

A. A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included

1. Is it absolutely clear who/what the modifier is referring to? --> YES - it's referring to Nelly Bly's exploits.
2. Is the modifier referring to the correct person/thing in the sentence? --> NO - it should be referring to Nelly Bly, not her exploits!
3. Does the modifier placement change the intended meaning in any way? --> YES - it tells us her exploits were pioneer journalists, which doesn't make logical sense!

This is INCORRECT because the modifier (A pioneer journalist) is referring to Bly's exploits, not to her.

B. The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist, included

1. Is it absolutely clear who/what the modifier is referring to? --> YES - it's referring to Nelly Bly, who was a pioneer journalist!
2. Is the modifier referring to the correct person/thing in the sentence? --> YES!
3. Does the modifier placement change the intended meaning in any way? --> NO!

This is CORRECT because the modifier (a pioneer journalist) is clearly referring to Nelly Bly, and it's punctuated correctly to indicate it's a modifier!

C. Nellie Bly was a pioneer journalist, included

1. Is it absolutely clear who/what the modifier is referring to? --> YES - the modifier "included" is referring to the word "journalist."
2. Is the modifier referring to the correct person/thing in the sentence? --> NO - the phrase "included circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg" should refer to "exploits," which isn't even in this sentence!
3. Does the modifier placement change the intended meaning in any way? --> YES - it removed the idea of Nelly Bly having exploits in her life, including the ones discussed in the sentence!

This option is INCORRECT because it removed the idea of Nelly Bly's "exploits," which them makes the phrase "including circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg" make no sense.

D. Included in the pioneer journalist Nellie Bly's exploits are

There is no modifier issue in this sentence. However, this sentence is INCORRECT because it has a subject-verb agreement problem. The sentence only gives us ONE example of the exploits Nelly Bly experienced, but it uses the plural verb "are."

E. The pioneer journalist's exploits of Nellie Bly included

1. Is it absolutely clear who/what the modifier is referring to? --> YES - it's saying that a pioneer journalist exploited Nelly Bly.
2. Is the modifier referring to the correct person/thing in the sentence? --> NO - the pioneer journalist IS Nelly Bly, not some other person!
3. Does the modifier placement change the intended meaning in any way? --> YES - it completely changes the meaning! It now says that some other journalist exploited Nelly Bly and circled the globe faster than everyone involved!

This is INCORRECT because it drastically changes the meaning of the original sentence.

There you have it - option B is the correct answer because it used the modifier correctly and did not change the intended meaning!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shaon Karim » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
samrat.mandal wrote:Now "Nellie Bly's exploits" and "Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg" are not structurally parallel any more. isn't that an issue?
OA: The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist, included circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg.
An AGENT is the initiator of an action.
Here, it is crystal clear that Nellie Bly is the agent of circling, since she was the journalist CIRCLING the globe.
Conveyed comparison:
NELLIE BLY was CIRCLING faster than PHILEAS FOGG.
This comparison is logical.
Why option E is incorrect?