A new genetically engineered papaya GMAT PREP

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
A new genetically engineered papaya was produced not by seed companies who have been motivated by profit, which was the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but university and United States Department of Agriculture researchers who allowed growers to use it free of charge.

(A) produced not by seed companies who have been motivated by profit, which was the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but
(B) produced not by profit-motivated seed companies, the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but
(C) produced not by profit-motivated seed companies, as was the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but by
(D) not produced by profit-motivated seed companies, which was the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but was produced by
(E) not produced by seed companies who have been motivated by profit, the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but by

Can someone explain to me where I should place the NOT, before or after the verb?
was not produced by sounds better to me than was produced not by

Ans C

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:28 am
needthis wrote:A new genetically engineered papaya was produced not by seed companies who have been motivated by profit, which was the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but university and United States Department of Agriculture researchers who allowed growers to use it free of charge.

(A) produced not by seed companies who have been motivated by profit, which was the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but
(B) produced not by profit-motivated seed companies, the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but
(C) produced not by profit-motivated seed companies, as was the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but by
(D) not produced by profit-motivated seed companies, which was the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but was produced by
(E) not produced by seed companies who have been motivated by profit, the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but by

Can someone explain to me where I should place the NOT, before or after the verb?

Ans C
For this specific sentence u should place the not after verb produced because if u see the latter part of sentence them produced comes in ellipsis form i.e

Produced not by but [produced] by

A and B u can simply reject
D wrong because of the wrong usage of was with which as companies are plural
E wrong bec to refer to companies we shouldnt use who.......

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:30 am
needthis wrote:A new genetically engineered papaya was produced not by seed companies who have been motivated by profit, which was the case with most genetically modified crops previously approved for commercial use, but university and United States Department of Agriculture researchers who allowed growers to use it free of charge.

Ans C
Where a modifier is placed changes the meaning.

In D and E:
Not PRODUCED by seed companies.
Not modifies the verb: not THIS VERB but THAT VERB.
For example:
Not PRODUCED by seed companies but CONSUMED by seed companies.
Not PRODUCED by seed companies but OFFERED by seed companies.

Since the SC above is not comparing one action of seed companies to another action of seed companies, the placement of not before PRODUCED is incorrect.
Eliminate D and E.

Produced not BY SEED COMPANIES.
Not modifies the prepositional phrase: produced not BY THIS but BY THAT.
Produced not BY SEED COMPANIES but BY RESEARCHERS.
This is the intended meaning of the SC above.

In A, not by seed companies...but university and United States Department of Agriculture researchers lacks parallelism. Eliminate A.

In B, not by profit-motivated seed companies...but university and United States Department of Agriculture researchers lacks parallelism. Eliminate B.

The correct answer is C.

Only C offers the correct -- and parallel -- comparison:

...produced not by profit-motivated seed companies...but by university and United States Department of Agriculture researchers...
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:06 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: ...produced not by profit-motivated seed companies...but by university and United States Department of Agriculture researchers...
Hi Mitch,

I have one doubt on above i.e is produced after but in second part of the sentence in ellipsis i.e

produced not by profit-motivated seed companies...but [produced] by university and United States Department of Agriculture researchers...[/b]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by needthis » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:36 pm
Makes sense!
Thanks to you both!