760(Q-51,V-41) in 2 months- IMPOSSIBLE means I Am Possible

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:760

by unclesam2013 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 pm
HBS2014aspirant wrote:Congrats unclesam! Your story appeared as one of the best ones of 2012..Loved reading your words of wisdom.
Thrilled to know this..Thanks Beatthegmat for giving me this honor! :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by targetivy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 pm
@unclesam

How close were the IR questions on the GMAT as compared to those in the GMATPREP software in terms of difficulty ?

Followed by:3 members

by SunZu » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:54 pm
Congrats on the amazing score..
My plan is this
I'm using Kaplan Premier to get a hang of various topics and then I plan to use the Aristotle Verbal Grail books for indepth concepts. I plan to do SC on MTW,CR on TF and RC on Sat.Sundays would be off..How does this plan look ?

by targetivy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:05 am
SunZu wrote:Congrats on the amazing score..
My plan is this
I'm using Kaplan Premier to get a hang of various topics and then I plan to use the Aristotle Verbal Grail books for indepth concepts. I plan to do SC on MTW,CR on TF and RC on Sat.Sundays would be off..How does this plan look ?
I do it a little differently. I dedicate one entire week to one area-for example one week to SC, next week to CR and so on. In each week, I keep 1 day for revision and take 1 day break. Has worked well so far.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:00 am
Congratulations on a great score. How did you find SC on the real test compared to that in OG13 and Question pack 1?
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

by unclesam2013 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:50 am
vomhorizon wrote:Congratulations on a great score. How did you find SC on the real test compared to that in OG13 and Question pack 1?
SC on the real test was closer to the SC questions towards the end of OG13 SC as the questions towards the end in OG13 are of higher difficulty level ..I didn't use Question pack 1 so really can't compare it to what i saw on the GMAT.

GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:53 pm
unclesam2013 wrote:
vomhorizon wrote:Congratulations on a great score. How did you find SC on the real test compared to that in OG13 and Question pack 1?
SC on the real test was closer to the SC questions towards the end of OG13 SC as the questions towards the end in OG13 are of higher difficulty level ..I didn't use Question pack 1 so really can't compare it to what i saw on the GMAT.
Do you think that the quality of SC questions from GMAT PREP were representative of the quality of questions on the test?
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

by unclesam2013 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:50 am
vomhorizon wrote:
Do you think that the quality of SC questions from GMAT PREP were representative of the quality of questions on the test?
I think the SC questions on the actual GMAT were a little trickier than the GMATPREP questions but overall in terms of how representative the GMATPREP questions were, I think they were quite representative of what I saw on the GMAT. Make sure that you do each GMATPREP test twice.

by targetivy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:01 pm
unclesam2013 wrote:
vomhorizon wrote:
I think the SC questions on the actual GMAT were a little trickier than the GMATPREP questions but overall in terms of how representative the GMATPREP questions were, I think they were quite representative of what I saw on the GMAT. Make sure that you do each GMATPREP test twice.
How many boldface questions were on there on your GMAT. I'm able to understand the stem in these questions but the options are so confusing that i'm always stuck between two options

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:590

by varun289 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 am
dear can any body guide me , How to access acess IR questions from OG 13 ??

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ina.p » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 am
Where can I find this Chineseburned AWA guide?
Great score !
thank you !

by varun289 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:26 pm
dear here is sample -

The following appeared in a memorandum issued by a large city's council on the arts.
"In a recent citywide poll, fifteen percent more residents said that they watch television programs about the visual arts than was the case in a poll conducted five years ago. During these past five years, the number of people visiting our city's art museums has increased by a similar percentage. Since the corporate funding that supports public television, where most of the visual arts programs appear, is now being threatened with severe cuts, we can expect that attendance at our city's art museums will also start to decrease. Thus some of the city's funds for supporting the arts should be reallocated to public television."
Discuss how well reasoned... etc.
In this argument the author concludes that the city should allocate some of its arts funding to public television. The conclusion is based on two facts: (1) attendance at the city's art museum has increased proportionally with the increases in visual-arts program viewing on public television, and (2) public television is being threatened by severe cuts in corporate funding. While this argument is somewhat convincing, a few concerns need to be addressed.
To begin with, the argument depends on the assumption that increased exposure to the visual arts on television, mainly public television, has caused a similar increase in local art-museum attendance. However, just because increased art-museum attendance can be statistically correlated with similar increases in television viewing of visual-arts programs, this does not necessarily mean that the increased television viewing of arts is the cause of the rise in museum attendance.
Moreover, perhaps there are other factors relevant to increased interest in the local art museum; for instance, maybe a new director had procured more interesting, exciting acquisitions and exhibits during the period when museum attendance increased, in addition, the author could be overlooking a common cause of both increases. It is possible that some larger social or cultural phenomenon is responsible for greater public interest in both television arts programming and municipal art museums.
To be fair, however, we must recognize that the author's assumption is a special case of a more general one that television viewing affects people's attitudes and behavior. Common sense and observation tell me that this is indeed the case. After all, advertisers spend billions of dollars on television ad time because they trust this assumption as well.
In conclusion, I am somewhat persuaded by this author's line of reasoning. The argument would be strengthened if the author were to consider and rule out other significant factors that might have caused the increase in visits to the local art museum.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by aadij6 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:53 am
Can u plz tell me what percentage score in verbal would fetch me a 700+ score? I am pretty confident of getting a 49-51 in quant.

by varun289 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:59 am
file attached for GMAT score combination
Attachments
GMAT Scores Sept 2012.xlsx
(12.96 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

by Django » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:15 am
varun289
why have you posted a sample AWA essay response on this thread? He just asked for Chineseburned AWA guide.