740 - V40 Q50 - A long and hard prep got me through!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:7 members
I gave my GMAT yesterday and got a score of 740 (V40 Q50). I was very happy to see that score since i wasn't expecting that high a score given that i had kind of messed up on the Quant section.

A brief on my background:-
I am a non-native Software Engineer having 5 years of work experience.

Score requirement/target:-
Coming from a regular IT background and not having much of a social work experience, i needed a high score to balance out some irregularities in my profile. I was targeting for a 750+ but would happily take a 740 as well :D

Challenges faced:-
The biggest problem that i had when i started my GMAT prep (in feb 2012) was that my Quant was really really really weak. I mean pathetic is an understatement to put it in perspective. I had feared maths (can anyone blame me for that :D) ever since my childhood days. English wasn't too good either. Had a lot of difficulties in focusing on an RC passage.
Currently at onsite and thus did not have a lot of time to prepare on a daily basis. For Feb and march i literally devoted the entire weekend into prep and then as and when my workload grew, i got lesser and lesser time to focus on prep. I was hardly able to devote an hour a day during regular workload days and almost no time on busier days.

Things that i did:-
Studied from the MGMAT strategy guides to build up basic mathematics and verbal skills. Took me 2 months to get done and over with the entire material.
Took 5 (800 score) and 1 GMATPrep (first diagnostic test) tests during these 2 months to gauge score buildup and performance improvements.
At the end of the 2 months, i realized that the score wasn't looking too good and that if i gave the GMAT then, i would certainly end up towards the higher 600 range of the spectrum.

I started looking for additional materials available on the internet and that is when i stumbled upon BTG. Immediately recognized the worth of this community and started looking at all the different questions and explanations to those questions by various instructors (who are all very helpful indeed). Subscribed to Question of the day from all the communities possible. This helped me get some challenging questions everyday and learn something new on a daily basis.

From the beginning of my prep, i had wanted to finish everything before the GMAT pattern change (1st June) but somehow my work pressure here always forced me to re-evaluate that plan.
Even by subscribing to all the different questions of the day, all i was able to get to was a 700, that too, not consistently.

This is the time when i realized that i needed something more to practice and improve. While looking for all the alternatives available, i came across MasterGMAT. It immediately caught my eye because it certainly looked very very promising as a tool. I took the free 7 day trial and literally got hooked up to the course flow and content structure of MasterGMAT. It was almost as if i was addicted.
This was the turning point. I knew that this is what i wanted. I needed something which would help me transform from someone stuck at 670-680 and get me the much required push to move to the next level. Started on the course and continued at a very good pace till a major release of my project pushed me off track.
This was another turning point. From here on, i knew that i would have to carefully manage my time and only then would i be able to score big on the GMAT. Once the project load was off (took almost 3-4 weeks), i got back on to track.
From this point onwards, it was an enriching experience and i looked at all the questions from a different perspective and tried understanding and developing the logic required to solve trickier questions.
MasterGMAT helped me improve my SC skills as well. Though MGMAT guide was a solid foundation for that, somehow, i was not so confident about solving trickier questions pertaining to SC.The variety of questions that MasterGMAT had helped me strengthen some loose ends in SC.
Ron's (from MGMAT) videos are really very good. Everyone should go through those videos once you are towards the end of your prep.

Tips for CR:-
No tips at all. Really! This was my weakest section. Even towards the end of my prep, i felt a bit uncomfortable about the whole CR section. I liked the simpler questions. The tougher ones just made me sick :D. I could not understand the answer to a particular question even after looking at the explanation given by some of the best tutors here.
All i can really say for this section is that you need to practice and practice a lot to improve in this section. The MGMAT tips to eliminate irrelevant answer choices are really good.The MasterGMAT explanation on the trickier questions was also very helpful in building a good POE logic.

Tips for SC:-
Go through MGMAT SC guide. Aristotle SC is also good. Once you achieve a certain level of confidence in solving easier questions, try solving harder questions and learn from each question that you answer. In the end, the Quality of questions that you solve matters the most.
I would suggest to focus mostly on Comparisons,Modifiers and parallelism issues. Mostly, all the higher level SC problems on GMAT are basically meaning based problems which are mostly solved by fixing the comparison and/or modifier issues. Modifier is a very very important topic and should not be overlooked under any circumstance. Strengthen this skill and you can be rest assured to reap benefits from it. I was able to solve SC questions with around 95% accuracy within 1:15 minutes.

Tips for RC:-
Mostly all prep companies will tell you to skim the passage quickly to get an overall idea of what the passage is talking about and then go to each question and then refer back to passage if required.
Somehow, this whole idea of skimming was not something that i felt comfortable with. I was getting about 50% of all the RC questions wrong when i was following this approach. Call me too naive or whatever else you would but for me the skimming approach almost certainly never worked.
I then decided to try out a different approach. I started reading and understanding the entire passage at one go. This was very very tough for me in the beginning because i have a lot of focus issues as i am not used to reading a lot of books. In fact i do not read books at all :D. At first i found it too hard but later as i developed the focus i saw huge gains in performance on RC. I suddenly jumped to an accuracy level of around 85-90%. This was enough of an indicator for me to stick with this approach and i firmly believe that this combined with the SC skills saw me past through the challenging 700 barrier.

The actual test day:-
I had visited the test center one week in advance to check out the route and bus timings and see if there is anything that i should be concerned about. I think this is one thing that everyone should do. It would really help in eliminating any chance of surprises on the test day. Any negative surprise/shocks on the test day would seriously put you in a bad position.
Take a good night's sleep (somehow my anxiety did not let me do this :()
Coming back to the actual test experience. Here is what i felt about the test:-
1. The Quant section was certainly a whole lot tougher than what the GMATPrep or what even MGMAT mocks would have you believe. The difficulty climbed up exponentially and i could see some questions which i had not even known how to solve. I mean the combination of different areas on those problems was unexpected or perhaps i had not practiced enough. One thing that was consoling was that the questions were getting tougher, which indicated that i was somehow solving them correctly :D
2. During the break, i gathered myself up and self motivated myself to ensure that i do not let my (perceived) bad performance on the quant section overshadow my verbal section.
3. Verbal section was pretty much in line with what most of the prep material would suggest. The SC questions were a bit harder and tested a bit weirder idioms. Overall, it was an experience of almost the same level as the last GMATPrep that i gave even though i got a much lower score on the real test day (i got a 46 on the GMATPrep's mock the day prior to the actual exam).
4. The IR section went over my head. It was certainly tougher than the sample question set that GMATprep comes with and the MGMAT IR questions as well. I do have to confess that i had not prepared so well for the IR section anyways because i thought that it would only judge the same concepts that i knew of. The only problem is, that the combination of different concepts and the presentation of the problem make the IR section way more challenging than you would expect.

Once again, thanks a lot for having this awesome community. It is really very very helpful.

Even after reading such a long debrief if you are interested in the score progress that i had, it is attached to this post.
Attachments
ScoreProgress.xlsx
ScoreProgress
(10.91 KiB) Downloaded 369 times

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:19 am
Great tips you're offering here anubhav1984 - way to give back to the BTG community - certainly others should find this totally useful!

And obviously: CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SCORE! Nicely done - you did indeed Beat the GMAT!!

You've got the field wide open to you with this score. Now the fun work begins: ESSAYS!! :-D

(Check out our little blahg at https://www.essaysnark.com for help with that!)

Congrats again, you worked hard and it paid off!

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shreerajp99 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:09 am
Hey congrats,thats a great score!!
Did u refer to earlier OG editions?What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Also,did u finish the Manhattan quant books and the advanced guides?

Thanks,
Shreeraj

by anubhav1984 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:42 pm
Hey Shreeraj,

For the sections to focus on for quant:-
My advice would be to focus on more problems that involve logic to solve and combine different area such as Probability and Geometry for instance.This is just for example. A good set of such problems is the Challenge problem question base of MGMAT. It has some really tricky problems which is sure to build your logic for much harder GMAT problems.
Another tip would be to enhance the calculation speed. I encountered at least 5-6 questions which had really long calculations or i was certainly missing something from a logic stand point.

If by Advanced Quant you mean the set of quant guides that MGMAT provides then i went through all of them. If it is some other book that you are referring to, i am not so sure if i ever even heard of that :D.
I went through MGMAT advanced problem set as well. I referred to the OG 12th edition and solved everything during the last 3-4 days just to gauge what accuracy level i was able to maintain and i was fairly close to 97-98% at that time.

Thanks
Anubhav

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:05 pm
Anubhav,

Inspirational stuff. You really deserved this score with your hard work.

You have mentioned you used Master GMAT but that was missing from your test excel. Did you use only their content. How much time it would need to cover Master GMAT ?

How did you find CAT Prep tests ?

Thanks
AbhiJ

by anubhav1984 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 pm
Hi AbhiJ,

I did give the MasterGMAT tests but i did not note their scores in the excel because they were almost always inflated. I do not know why, but i just did not find the MasterGMAT tests to be accurate enough. Their material, on the other hand, was simply awesome.

I would say that MasterGMAT would take around 1-2 hour per percentage of the overall course. In the end you might end up spending around 100-200 hours on it easily.

If you are asking about the CATPrep tests that MasterGMAT transitions you over to then i would have to say that they are a bit too skewed on marking. Something wrong in their algo. I gave three of them and always landed up with a 640-660 score whereas i was definitely better. MasterGMAT tests on the other hand almost always showed up a 730-740 score level, which i am sure i had not reached by then.

Thanks
Anubhav

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ksc1940 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:21 pm
Thanks for this great recap.

The quant part is scaring me. You said the questions got exponentially harder. Did the difficulty plateu after a certain point, or did the questions keep getting harder? I agree that the actual quant is A LOT harder than manhattan gmat. In my opinion, MGMAT is great in verbal prep but weak in quant because their questions just aren't as difficult.

by anubhav1984 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:33 pm
If your maths is fundamentally strong, you need not worry much about the GMAT questions. I was hitting a consistent 50/51 during the last few days of my practice.
I landed up in the same range on the test day as well. The difficulty level did flatten out after a while but the mix was making it real hard to judge what the question was asking. Sometimes, the calculations were longer than usual.
If you are performing well in MGMAT tests then you should not worry too much about this. Trying out MGMAT challenge problems would be really helpful.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ksc1940 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:42 pm
anubhav1984 wrote:If your maths is fundamentally strong, you need not worry much about the GMAT questions. I was hitting a consistent 50/51 during the last few days of my practice.
I landed up in the same range on the test day as well. The difficulty level did flatten out after a while but the mix was making it real hard to judge what the question was asking. Sometimes, the calculations were longer than usual.
If you are performing well in MGMAT tests then you should not worry too much about this. Trying out MGMAT challenge problems would be really helpful.
Ok. This does make me feel better. A GMAT quant expert on this forum said that the difficulty does plateu after a certain point, but they start throwing in questions from various topics, especially combinatorics, probability, overlapping sets, geometry, difficult rates problems. So although they may all be considered 700+ questions, depending on the person, some may be harder than others.

I went through MGMAT quant books about 2 years ago, and it didn't help me too much at all. Now i'm going through gmat hacks' total gmat math book, which is awesome. Also gonna buy their 1,000 problem sets and work on those soon.

by smileforever41 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:37 am
Hey Abhinav, congratulations on beating the GMAT and all the best for your essays followed by interviews and selection process.
Your beginning stage replicates mine. Nonetheless, I the draw line between you and I on the scores you secured. I worked(I don't know whether it is right to say that I worked hard, but I worked) for 6 months on GMAT, enrolled myself into an institute, which turned out to be a dud, I surfed what not, I flipped few pages whilst going to office, so on and so forth. I have no good hand on either of the sections. I spent hours together, practicing the stuff, but somewhere I failed to do what I was supposed to. Even now, I am unable to determine what went wrong. I didn't find any improvement in my score. Nevertheless, I wanted to give the test my best shot, but my best was not enough. I got 470(Geeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!), which wasn't a surprise though. I went to the top of my roof and screamed out(I didn't, but I wanted to).
What I understand is, I am in the beginning stage, and my comprehension, practice and all need over-hauling.
Hereby, I urge Abhinav and all experts on the forum to suggest me the pathway to learn and excel in each topic rather each question that a GMAT aspirant comes across.
Your tips, suggestions and feedback are going to be a big-help, maybe path-breaking and thought-provoking.

Thanks and regards,
Shyam Putnala

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by BhushanJogi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:32 am
Hi Anubhav,

Congo!! for awesome 740 and Best Luck!! for the admission process, Hope you get your dream business school.

Even, I am very weak in Quants and my Verbal isn't that good.Would you please tell me, what was your approach towards building a strong Quant base and for verbal as well. I have planned 2 months study for building strong foundation of Quants and I am referring Manhattan GMAT quant books and have to start verbal prep.

Please let me know, What was your methodology for improving in both the sections.

Best regards,
Bhushan

by anubhav1984 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:33 am
Hey Shyam,

Can you please let us know what material you used for your prep? Select the right material (MGMAT to set a proper foundation), set up a proper schedule, monitor your progress on a regular basis (by giving proper timed practice tests).
Judging by your score, i can safely assume that you were not able to complete the test on time as well. If that is true, you would need to focus on timing as well. No matter what anyone says, timing is something that can develop over time and you will not be able to pull off timing within the last days of your prep.
Another good thing to do would be to wait before you book your slots again. Wait until you are within 50 points range of your target score. For example, if your target score is 750, wait until you are consistenly hitting 700 in the mock tests.
Give a lot of mock tests to improve your timing and to check your performance at regular intervals (once in 2 weeks).

Thanks
Anubhav

by anubhav1984 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:41 am
Hey Bhushan,

I referred to two materials, namely MGMAT and MasterGMAT. MGMAT would definitely set a proper base. The most important thing is to practice, practice and practice. Practice saw me through on the quant section. Timed practice is the key to building solid foundation. Solving a lot of different type of questions also builds up your logic base.
For verbal - SC go with MGMAT. Solve the OG.
RC - Try to read the complete passage, take notes while doing so. This technique helped me a lot. If you are already good at RC, then ignore this.
CR - Solve as many different types of questions as possible. This again helps to build up your base.

For verbal, get your SC to be solid because this is the easiest of the lot to improve upon.

Thanks
Anubhav

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nidzittude » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:05 pm
Hi Anubhav!!

Thanks for the very interesting and inspirational debrief. I went through your scores too and I see that there was a considerable improvement. I want to ask you at what point did you decide to go ahead and book your GMAT dates? I am currently hitting scores ranging between 660-710 (on GMAT prep tests), I am hoping to book dates as soon as I hit a consistent score. But time its already AUgust and time is kinds running out on me :(

Kindly suggest..

by anubhav1984 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:46 am
nidzittude wrote:Hi Anubhav!!

Thanks for the very interesting and inspirational debrief. I went through your scores too and I see that there was a considerable improvement. I want to ask you at what point did you decide to go ahead and book your GMAT dates? I am currently hitting scores ranging between 660-710 (on GMAT prep tests), I am hoping to book dates as soon as I hit a consistent score. But time its already AUgust and time is kinds running out on me :(

Kindly suggest..
Sorry for the late reply! Booking a date clearly depends on your score goal and your current consistent average. If, for the last 2-3 tests, your average is within 40-50 points of your goal, you should go ahead and book a date. Once you book the date, the real challenge starts. You would need to identify your weak points and cover them as efficiently as possible during this gap. Utilize it to the fullest and always believe in yourself.