730 - Q50, V38, AWA - 5 (31st Aug)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

730 - Q50, V38, AWA - 5 (31st Aug)

by garson0in » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:47 am
My access to internet was restricted and the speed was pathetic. This prevented me from benefiting from this site. In the first week of August I got a broadband connection that enabled me to join the BTG. Since I had only a month to go for the test, I used this forum to solve my doubts only.

Whenever I was tired or felt low because of wrong SCs, I turned to debriefs section and Ask Stacy Blackman section.

Score 730 – Q50 and V38 –
Glad. My wish was to score atleast 750. I am weak on SCs. I would like to reappear for the exam but cannot do it without overcoming this weakness. Time does not permit me to retake the exam at this moment. I will have to proceed with the Apps for now.

Marker – I had the notion that markers were clumsy and therefore the test taker took a longer time to work out problems on the erasable board. My experience was entirely different. The Marker was a black sketch pen. It was easy to handle and did not have any effect on my speed. The erasable pad consisted of 5 full scape erasable sheets.

AWA (Scored 5):-
I had prepared for AWA in the last moment. I was especially worried about analysis of an issue. However both the topics were from the list issued by ETS. Score is as expected.

Quant:-
The questions were very easy and I was cruising at great speed. Guess it was one of those days on which GMAC was lenient with the test takers. Infact I had solved some questions on the test before, for instance a question on series to determine 2^20 – 2^19. I had atleast 20 minutes left and 4 questions to go. Finally I completed my quant section with 9 minutes to spare.

I can’t think of any silly mistakes. :? It would have been great if GMAC could tell us the questions which we answered incorrectly.

Verbal:-
I was weak on SCs and had my fingers crossed. Verbal started with 2 SCs in a row. The sentences were short sentences but I wasn’t sure about my answers. The CR and the RC within the first 10 questions were easy. After 10 questions I got a few SCs and CR which were quite easy. I started thinking that I did not fair well on the first 10 questions and therefore the test software was throwing easier questions at me. :cry: I was demotivated. Shrugged off these thoughts and started concentrating on the exam again. CRs were easy. Did not get any boldfaced CRs. One of the RCs was tough. Thought this might be one of the experimental questions. I wanted to get over with the verbal section. I wasn’t enjoying it. Kept a track of time and was able to complete the verbal section just in time. I think I had seen one of the SCs in the SETs.

Waited for the score and was glad to see the score of 730. I was relieved.

Books referred:–
OG11
OG10 – SC
MILCET
Manhattan - SC
Kaplan workshop
Kaplan 800
Princeton verbal workout
1000 - PS and DS

Mock Tests
Kaplan Diag - 9th July - 650
PP1 - 23rd July - 780 ( I had solved most of the Qs in verbal before )
Kaplan Test 1 - 5th Aug - 630
Kaplan Test 2 - 26th Aug - 690 (Had solved few Qs in verbal before)
GMAT Prep 1 - 29th Aug - 750 (Had solved few Qs in verbal before)

I did not know anyone who had appeared the GMAT when I started my preparation. The GMAT related communities on orkut were my starting point. I am thankful to all those on the internet who are giving a helping hand to others.

Please let me know if anyone needs the study material mentioned above(plz email me at [email protected] for the same). It would be my pleasure and honor.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by camitava » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:35 pm
Well done! Congrats man! You have rocked ...
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava