710 (Q48, V39) 1st attempt, but enough for HBS/Stanford?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey all, I've just finished my first attempt at the GMAT and am quite disappointed. I felt that I under performed, and ended up with an annoying score that is just high enough to not really justify retaking it, but low enough to be concerned with.
I devoted 11 full days for exam preparation, and ended up getting a 710: Q48 (75%) V39 (89%) IR8 (92%). In my two exam condition GMAT prep tests taken on day 10 and 11 of preparation, I scored 740 (Q50, V41, IR8) and 760 (Q49, V44, IR8), so was hoping to score at least 730, preferably around 750.

To give a bit of context:

- I'm in my final stage of my European Msc program (Top 80 in the world) in policy/management, and am writing my thesis in a condensed amount of time. This is why I was only able to devote 11 days to GMAT study.

- I have an undergraduate degree in Engineering with a 3.81 GPA from a top non-US/UK English-Speaking Country (Top 30 in the world).

- I will commence full time work later this year at one of the big 3 management consulting firms (McKinsey, Bain, BCG) as an entry-level consultant at one of their asian offices.

- I plan to apply for HBS and Stanford after two years at the firm (will have 2.7 years at commencement of MBA).

I am considering re-taking the exams for the following reasons

- Although it is often said that all you need to do is break the 700 barrier to get into a top school, I was wondering how much this applied to HBS and Stanford, considering their median scores are around 730.. I feel a score of 710 is very marginal, and would require the rest of the application package to be absolutely stellar to stand any chance
My relatively low quant score (75%) concerns me.. I heard this was looked upon unfavourably by admissions. Maybe this could tarnish my relatively strong undergraduate GPA from a quant heavy course?

- As consultants from my firm regularly apply to these schools, I will be in competition with these applicants. Although many aspects of each applicant other than the GMAT score will be taken into consideration, most applicants from the pool will probably have a higher GMAT score (I assume 730+), and hence I will 'lose' on the GMAT aspect.

- I don't know how indicative the GMATprep exams are, but I feel I could have scored higher, at least 730+ (Also, I foolishly did not know until after the exam that leaving questions unanswered lead to a heavier penalty then just guessing the answers, resulting in two unattempted questions in the quant section). I feel that I should be able to increase my score to around the 750 range without a significant amount of extra study, especially considering my initial study period was short and condensed.

Finally, does my GMAT score remain unchanged, even after 2 years? I assume the percentile/score cut off ranges differ slightly every time they are updated with new test-takers scores.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:53 am
Hi smp0108,

Congratulations!!!

Your score is fairly decent but I feel HBS expects better score in range of 750 as you have mentioned already.

GMAT PREP is the best indicator of your expected score in actual GMAT. You have much scope of improvement in Quant(3 points) and almost same improvement in Verbal.

All the best!!!
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:41 pm
Hi smp0108,

First off, a 710/Q48 is a fantastic score (right around the 90th percentile overall), so saying that you're "disappointed" makes you sound silly. With that score, you can apply to any US Business School and have a reasonable chance of getting in. You mention Harvard as one of your choices, but you have to remember that only about 10% of applicants to Harvard get in, so the word "reasonable" is relative. Any Top program will scrutinize your ENTIRE application, so scoring a 710 does not make you weaker than someone who scored 730. That's a simplistic way of thinking of things (and it makes it sound as though you think that Harvard's reps aren't smart enough to know the difference. If you're an amazing applicant, then it won't be difficult for Harvard, or any other school, to figure that out).

As an aside, you could very well have scored 740+; GMAC has openly stated that a Test Taker's score is within +-29 points of actual ability. You've actually identified one of the KEY issues with why you might have scored at the "lower end" of your range - you studied for just 11 days. Most Test Takers need the better part of 3 months to "peak", so the limited study schedule likely impacted what you were capable of achieving. Another factor was that you left the last 2 questions unanswered. Assuming those questions "counted" (and were not experimental questions), then you would have incurred a small penalty that would have dropped your score a bit.

You ask an interesting question about how the statistical data behind GMAT percentiles could change over time. To be fair, it HAS changed over time, but not enough to hurt anyone's applications. Your GMAT Score Report contains percentile and Scaled Score information, and Business Schools understand what all of those different data points mean. Even if you apply 2 years from now, your score will still command the respect that is warranted. You've got a great, competitive score. Barring an exceptionally rare set of circumstances, you have no reason to retest.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by cubsfan87 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:00 am
I retook a 700 and got a 750 1 month later because I got 2 760's on GMATPrep and knew I could do better. I think there is a big difference between 710 and 740+, especially at H/S/W. You don't want any part of your application to be lower than the average, so if you have time I would say try it again.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:25 am
smp0108 wrote:Hey all, I've just finished my first attempt at the GMAT and am quite disappointed. I felt that I under performed, and ended up with an annoying score that is just high enough to not really justify retaking it, but low enough to be concerned with.
I devoted 11 full days for exam preparation, and ended up getting a 710: Q48 (75%) V39 (89%) IR8 (92%). In my two exam condition GMAT prep tests taken on day 10 and 11 of preparation, I scored 740 (Q50, V41, IR8) and 760 (Q49, V44, IR8), so was hoping to score at least 730, preferably around 750.

- I'm in my final stage of my European Msc program (Top 80 in the world) in policy/management, and am writing my thesis in a condensed amount of time. This is why I was only able to devote 11 days to GMAT study.

- I have an undergraduate degree in Engineering with a 3.81 GPA from a top non-US/UK English-Speaking Country (Top 30 in the world).

- I will commence full time work later this year at one of the big 3 management consulting firms (McKinsey, Bain, BCG) as an entry-level consultant at one of their asian offices.

- I plan to apply for HBS and Stanford after two years at the firm (will have 2.7 years at commencement of MBA).

- Although it is often said that all you need to do is break the 700 barrier to get into a top school, I was wondering how much this applied to HBS and Stanford, considering their median scores are around 730.. I feel a score of 710 is very marginal, and would require the rest of the application package to be absolutely stellar to stand any chance
My relatively low quant score (75%) concerns me.. I heard this was looked upon unfavourably by admissions. Maybe this could tarnish my relatively strong undergraduate GPA from a quant heavy course?

- As consultants from my firm regularly apply to these schools, I will be in competition with these applicants. Although many aspects of each applicant other than the GMAT score will be taken into consideration, most applicants from the pool will probably have a higher GMAT score (I assume 730+), and hence I will 'lose' on the GMAT aspect.

- I don't know how indicative the GMATprep exams are, but I feel I could have scored higher, at least 730+ (Also, I foolishly did not know until after the exam that leaving questions unanswered lead to a heavier penalty then just guessing the answers, resulting in two unattempted questions in the quant section). I feel that I should be able to increase my score to around the 750 range without a significant amount of extra study, especially considering my initial study period was short and condensed.

Finally, does my GMAT score remain unchanged, even after 2 years? I assume the percentile/score cut off ranges differ slightly every time they are updated with new test-takers scores.

Time for a retake.

HBS and Stanford have plenty of Big 3 consultants applying with 750s, and even some of those will not make it.

You have the potential to score higher, so go and get it.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:26 am
smp0108 wrote:Hey all, I've just finished my first attempt at the GMAT and am quite disappointed. I felt that I under performed, and ended up with an annoying score that is just high enough to not really justify retaking it, but low enough to be concerned with.

Time for a retake.

HBS and Stanford have plenty of Big 3 consultants applying with 750s, and even some of those will not make it.

You have the potential to score higher, so go and get it.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

GMAT Score:550

by Si4S » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:44 pm
For your first GMAT, schools will know you're capable of scoring higher, but it'll essentially boil down to your story. 2.7 yrs W/E will require a strong 'why now?' and 'what do you bring to the class?' that's different form the other exceptional test takers.
Keep in mind there are 770+'s who don't get accepted to H/W/S so I'd take that into consideration if you're applying round 1. Your story and essays should be given the most time and attention IMO.
Sleep iz 4 Suckaz

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sultana199 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:49 pm
In first attempt, you scored 710(Q48,V39) which is very good but you know that HBS/Stanford require more than it. So, it will be better to try again and hope you will get a brilliant score. Best of luck.