700+ Taste buds

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

700+ Taste buds

by challenger63 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:42 pm
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.
A. them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
B. them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore
C. which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud
D. which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud
E. which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

OA after discussion.

Source: GMATPrep (old version)
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:12 am
challenger63 wrote:Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.
A. them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
B. them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore
C. which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud
D. which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud
E. which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

OA after discussion.

Source: GMATPrep (old version)

My pick is A. I made a split between them and which, and choose them. I went with which because of the same analogy for that and which; which is use for something which is additional and won't be used for emphasizing any important detail. Then I left with A and B. I found that is changing the intended meaning of the sentence. So A is my choice.

Am I correct in my approach? What is OA?
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

by rajatvmittal » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 am
imo c

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 am
A - incorrect, the two clauses in the sentence are not logically related to each other and thus this sentence is a run-on
B - incorrect and awkward phrase "each of them that". Also in the second part of the sentence there is a personal pronoun "they" used that has no referent. We don't know who "they" is supposed to represent.
C - correct, this answer uses the expression "each of which" together with a singular verb form "has"
D - incorrect, the sentence includes the unconjugated verb form "having" where there should be a conjugated verb
E - incorrect, wrong use of the plural verb form "have" with the singular subject "each of which". Moreover, the progressive form "are poking" is unnecessarily used.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 pm
Kasia@EconomistGMAT wrote:A - incorrect, the two clauses in the sentence are not logically related to each other and thus this sentence is a run-on
B - incorrect and awkward phrase "each of them that". Also in the second part of the sentence there is a personal pronoun "they" used that has no referent. We don't know who "they" is supposed to represent.
C - correct, this answer uses the expression "each of which" together with a singular verb form "has"
D - incorrect, the sentence includes the unconjugated verb form "having" where there should be a conjugated verb
E - incorrect, wrong use of the plural verb form "have" with the singular subject "each of which". Moreover, the progressive form "are poking" is unnecessarily used.
Hi Kasia,

Can you please tell why two clauses are not logically related to each other?
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by gmatpart2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:36 pm
A - incorrect, the two clauses in the sentence are not logically related to each other and thus this sentence is a run-on
Hi Kasia,

In option C, are the two modifiers "called the taste pore" and "located at the top of taste bud" modifying the same noun "opening"?

OR

"called the taste pore" modifies "opening" and "located at the top of taste bud" modifies "taste pore"?

Thanks in advance!!

GMAT Instructor

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:48 am
hemant_rajput wrote:
Kasia@EconomistGMAT wrote:A - incorrect, the two clauses in the sentence are not logically related to each other and thus this sentence is a run-on
Hi Kasia,

Can you please tell why two clauses are not logically related to each other?
Hi,

in answer A there are two clauses separated only with a comma. However, they should be connected with a relevant linker (e.g. "and," "but," "so," etc.) that would show how the clauses are related to one another. Compare:
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, and each of them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.

The sentence sounds logical and is no longer a run-on, if we insert the appropriate linker between the clauses.
Last edited by Kasia@EconomistGMAT on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasia
Senior Instructor

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

GMAT Instructor

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:41 am
gmatpart2 wrote:
Hi Kasia,

In option C, are the two modifiers "called the taste pore" and "located at the top of taste bud" modifying the same noun "opening"?

OR

"called the taste pore" modifies "opening" and "located at the top of taste bud" modifies "taste pore"?

Thanks in advance!!
Hi,
Let's have a look at C:
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud.

Both modifiers "called the taste pore" and "located at the top of taste bud" refer to "the opening."
Kasia
Senior Instructor