Economist Test Prep

700 after 2 months of preparation

This topic has 7 member replies
visankar Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
5 messages

700 after 2 months of preparation

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:14 pm
Just finished gmat with a 700! . Not a great score but I am planning to apply for part time/executive MBA part time at one of the top universities and this score should hopefully be enough. Regarding the test, these are my comments on preparation materials

- OG10 and OG11 : Both are a must
- Nova Math review : Good material for quant concepts but questions are too easy.
- PR : Stay away, unless you intend to score < 650
- Manhattan SC: must read
- Kaplan PP: Quant is good, verbal is not in line with actual exam type questions
- GmatPrep: Must do

The questions in the exam were more or less of the same difficulty level as GMATPrep and I had no clue on 4 or 5 quant questions . Couple of the RC subjects were the topics I hated; art history and renaissance culture etc. I am glad its over.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Posted:
5 messages
Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:05 pm
There are more than one "Novas" out there, I would like to make it clearer:

Nova's GMAT Prep Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:45 pm
Congratulations on your great GMAT performance, visankar! Can you provide some more details on how you formed your GMAT study strategy? I think that this community could definitely learn from your fine example.

Thanks and best of luck to you!

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

Posted:
5 messages
Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:39 am
Thank you!!. This was my strategy:

- Did most of the problems ( except the first 100 in PS, first 50 or so in DS ) in OG10 and OG11.
- Did all Sentence corrections on OG10 and OG11
- Read Manhattan SC 10 times ( at least )
- Nova , math concepts
- K800, all quant questions. I felt that these questions are less difficult than real GMAT, contrary to what many people say. The last 50 questions on OG are any day more difficult ( my opinion only )
- Did GMATPrep over and over again, may be 5 times.
- Did not spend much time on CR, may be 2 hours total, since I believe it is more "genetically acquired Smile"

Iam in my 30s and have a family and 2 kids, and I spent 12 hours a week for 2 months preparing for gmat.

In case I need to go full time, can you share your experiences on whether the top 15 universities in US will turn down this not so high GMAT score ? I do have about 10 years work experience and a graduate degree. Has anybody gotten admissions in the top universities with 700?

Also an advice for the GMATTers- all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Work out at the gym or engage in physical activities and stay in shape for the exam!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:30 pm
visankar wrote:
Thank you!!. This was my strategy:

- Did most of the problems ( except the first 100 in PS, first 50 or so in DS ) in OG10 and OG11.
- Did all Sentence corrections on OG10 and OG11
- Read Manhattan SC 10 times ( at least )
- Nova , math concepts
- K800, all quant questions. I felt that these questions are less difficult than real GMAT, contrary to what many people say. The last 50 questions on OG are any day more difficult ( my opinion only )
- Did GMATPrep over and over again, may be 5 times.
- Did not spend much time on CR, may be 2 hours total, since I believe it is more "genetically acquired Smile"

Iam in my 30s and have a family and 2 kids, and I spent 12 hours a week for 2 months preparing for gmat.

In case I need to go full time, can you share your experiences on whether the top 15 universities in US will turn down this not so high GMAT score ? I do have about 10 years work experience and a graduate degree. Has anybody gotten admissions in the top universities with 700?

Also an advice for the GMATTers- all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Work out at the gym or engage in physical activities and stay in shape for the exam!!
Thanks for sharing these additional details. A 700 is a VERY competitive GMAT score--I'd go after the top 15 b-schools with that score. Just one data point to consider--my sister got a 680 on the GMAT and went to Kellogg.

I love your last point about staying fit during your studies. It really does help with your endurance and concentration, and I'm glad you realized that.

Best of luck!

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

isisalaska Community Manager Default Avatar
Posted:
363 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:33 pm
It does (exercise) and that what I am doing now. Big mistake I did not do it during my preparation before. It helps relaxing, feel better, etc. You are my hero, I am also in my 30s, one kid and full time job. congratulations!

Posted:
5 messages
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:23 am
I put this in Stacys thread as well, but would like to hear comments from SiteAdmin andd others as well since she is out of office.

Here is my profile:

Indian Male of late 30s with more than ten years IT experience,currently working in a large US corporation ( Have recently published articles in a couple of academic journals- MS in CS from state University in US, GPA 3.84 )

GMAT: 700(92%), V -86% Q 87%

Do I stand a chance at the top 15 schools with my GMAT score, do Indian IT applicants generally need 750+ since it is a competitive pool? Do you think I should take gmat again?

I have put in community service efforts in the US and I have goals that I can state clearly ( would be enterpreneur ) , but does 700 put me at a disadvantage?

Thanks!!
deepas

RachelAL Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
26 messages
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:11 am
I am no expert, but have been researching top school requirements. I think a 700 puts you in a COMPETATIVE position. You are around the average GMAT of the student profiles of the top schools. Most people looking to get into a top 10 school aim to break a 700.

I was aiming for a 700+. The first time I took my test I got a 650 Sad and Stacey replied to me and said I would even have a chance to get into a top school with a 680. I took it again and scored a 720. Anyway, my point is I think you have an excellent chance of getting into a school with the GMAT, provided everything else is ok.

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 65 topics
3 Roland2rule 49 topics
4 ardz24 44 topics
5 LUANDATO 23 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

147 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

103 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

102 posts
4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

94 posts
5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

76 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts