700-800 level CRs

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

700-800 level CRs

by pink_08 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:29 pm
I found that I constantly make mistakes in reasoning the 700-800 level CRs.

What materials should I use to practices the above .

OG has few of them and I do not know how to spot them.. Are there any other practice modes available

Pink

GMAT Score:620

by gmat620 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:56 pm
I am in the same boat friend...I am suffering in CAT's only because of this thing called CR. I did OG and don't find many hard questions but on MGMAT CAT, I felt like dying. I couldn't decipher the correct one even after 2 minutes. I have the test next week so I am really tensed but I hope GMAT wouldn't throw many tough CR. Nevertheless, it would be great if some experienced test taker would throw some light on our problem.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:47 pm
First, if 700+ CRs are the only thing bringing your score down, then you must already be scoring in the 90+ percentile on verbal, right? I just want to make sure that you aren't concentrating on harder questions than you should at this point. Unless you're getting everything else at a sub-700 level right, then you should be concentrating on other sub-700 level things.

So, the major thing that helps people get better at very hard verbal questions (of any type: CR, RC, or SC) is being able to tell the difference between very tempting wrong answers and less-good-looking-but-still-right correct answers.

To do this, you actually have to analyze the right vs. wrong answers in detail (ideally from OG or GMATPrep questions - nothing better than the real thing).

Ask yourself:
- why was the wrong answer so tempting? why did it look like it might be right? how did I justify picking it (or, if I narrowed down and guessed, why did I guess this one over the other one)? (be as explicit as possible)
(now make a note that the reason you used to choose this answer is not a good reason - don't use it in future)
- why was it actually wrong? what specific words indicate that it is wrong and how did I overlook those clues the first time?
- why did the right answer seem wrong? what made it so tempting to cross off the right answer? why were those things actually okay; what was my error in thinking that they were wrong?
(now make a note that the reason you used to eliminate this answer is not a good reason - don't use it in future)
- why was it actually right?
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

GMAT Score:620

by gmat620 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:17 pm
Many thanks to you Stacey. As always I would listen to your advice Stacey but I have limited time and tight schedule so I was convincing myself that GMAT wouldn't throw that hard questions. I heard that real GMAT is far tougher than GMAT PREP and MGMAT CAT.Is that true ? Please enlighten me.

One more question:
My scores are as follows :

750 and 730 (Q-48, V 41) in GMAT PREP.
MGMAT CAT 1 - 680,
MGMAT CAT 2 - 690 (1 question skipped due to lack of time) (Q-47, V-37)
MGMAT CAT 3 - 740 (Q-47, V-45)

I did all the test in last week but I don't understand how scores vary so much.

All my mistakes in GPREP are evenly distributed in all section. But in MGMAT CAT, most of them are wrong in CR . I also feel that MGMAT SC's are easier than GPREP. Please dispel my doubts. Many thanks once again for your precious time and kind advice.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:16 am
Some people tell me they think the real test is harder and some people tell me they think the real test is easier - it really just depends upon the person and upon their particular testing experience. About the same number of people tell me they think it's easier vs. harder, so there isn't an obvious trend one way or the other.

First, the fact that you took 5 tests in one week can cause fluctuation in scores all by itself. If your brain starts to get tired out, your score is going to drop, right? And then there are all sorts of other possible factors. Did you also take the essays on each test? Did you take each test under full official conditions? Did you do anything that deviates from official conditions and could provide a boost to your performance (a longer break than allowed, eating or drinking during the test, etc)? Did you take each test at the same time of day, and get a good night's sleep the night before, and have a nutritious dinner (night before) and breakfast for every single test? Did you see any questions you'd seen before; if so, how did you deal with them? How many were there? There are all kinds of variables that go into test performance.

I noticed that you said "1 question skipped due to lack of time" on your 2nd MGMAT CAT. Do you mean you made a random guess and moved on without reading the question? Do you mean you ran out of time at the end and left the question blank? Or do you mean something else? Were there other questions on which you had to rush due to the time pressure? Did you have more careless mistakes than usual as a result, or did you have a string of questions wrong in a row?
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me