690 (45Q/40V) Debrief - Any input would be Appreciated!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690
Alrighty, here it is:

Took the GMAT with zero prep as a junior in college about 6 years ago, scored 660 / 42Q / 38V / 5.0 AWA.

GMAT expired after 5 years, so I knew i'd have to retake. Found Jek's article here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/770-50-q-46- ... tml#166144

and followed it, as far as my schedule and resources allowed. My target/desired score is/was >=710 with an outside hope for 730 or better, with application to two or more top 10/15 schools domestically and abroad.

-Ordered all Manhattan GMAT math books, as well as the Sentence Correction guide.
-Went through each math book except FDP meticulously to learn content.
-Skipped the SC guide.
-Took GMAC practice test 1 in a single sitting, scored 750 / 47Q / 45V
-Took each MGMAT CAT, quant sections only and reviewed and brushed up on missed topics after each session.
--CATs 1 and 2: could not finish without pausing, scored 43 and 29, respectively.
--CATs 3 and 4:s i paused each only once for just a few minutes, scored 46 and 48, respectively.
--CATs 5 and 6: I was able to complete within the time limits, and scored 44 and 45, respectively.
--Retook the first GMAC exam two days prior to the GMAT, scored 710 / 40V / 46Q
--Took the second GMAC one day prior to GMAT, scored 710 / 40V / 46Q.

So as it is, it appears that the first GMAC score was a fluke. The actual exam result breakout was not materially different from the last two GMAC practice tests, although the composite was 10-20 points lower. I know its not the GMAC, but the Score 800 calc has a 40/45 being 700 even, and 40/46 being a 710, similar to the GMAC CATs.

Anyhow, the testing center is doing palm scans now, and they are apparently required as the test rep indicated. As I am currently in the financial industry and have had my identity stolen in the past, I was not excited to allow them to take any kind of biometric reading. The rep spent 40 minutes attempting to contact someone to establish what they could and could not do for me without taking a biometric reading. The resolution was that I allowed a single ink thumb print in order to satisfy their requirement and so that I could sit for the test. I began the test 20 minutes after my scheduled starting time, although I do not believe any of this haranguing was a factor in my meager score.

Conclusion: This score is really a thorn, because it is slightly lower than my target and has a 6 in the hundreds place (a little GMAT humor there), which was not the 7 for which I was hoping. I'd love to hear anyone's assessment as to whether I should take the time and money to go through a formal study program in the next two-three months in order to attempt a run at a 730+ next time around. I've tried to put myself in the place of the admissions reps by asking myself this question: Based on my entire application, references, work history, undergrad GPA (3.9), etc, would a GMAT 730+ really make my application that much more competitive than a 690?

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thank you!
Jeremy M.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by jmitchell3 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:38 pm
AWA Update. Scored a 6.0 on the AWA, so I guess it wasn't a total loss :).

Happy studying!
Jeremy M.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:550

by Abdulla » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:58 pm
jmitchell3 wrote:AWA Update. Scored a 6.0 on the AWA, so I guess it wasn't a total loss :).

Happy studying!
First of all congrats dude. I think the most important factor of the score is the break down of the score. You got 45Q and 40V, If you want to get 710 or 720 that means you will only need to raise the verbal to 41-42, which I think will not add more value to your application.

But, why some people got same Quant and Verbal scores and their overall score is 700?? Check this link

https://www.beatthegmat.com/700-q45-v40- ... 36008.html

In my last exam I got 45Q V21 550. I need to raise it to 650 and still struggling with the verbal part. I will retake it on Feb and I wish to get over 650 this time.

Good luck with your application.
Abdulla