680 score - 3rd (final) deadline disadvantage?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

680 score - 3rd (final) deadline disadvantage?

by kb11 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:28 am
Hi,

It took me longer than I had anticipated to commit to taking the GMAT and going back to school. I just took the exam on Saturday and received a 680, but I realize the first 2 admissions' deadlines have already passed.

To give you a little color on my background I have 8 years of experience in financial services and currently work at an energy derivatives brokerage in NYC. I hold the CAIA charter as well as series 3,7 and 63 licenses. I'm looking to go back to school because the brokerage space scares me with HF trading.

How much of a disadvantage is it applying to schools by the final deadline? And do you think I have a realistic chance of being accepted into a top 10 program? Currently looking at Kellogg, Booth, and Anderson. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:12 am
Hi,

Your MBA application consists of several different elements and they all have a saying regarding your chances of getting admitted and the admissions committee looks at your profile as a whole. Your GMAT is a little low for top 10 programs. The average GMAT at the schools you are mentioning here are over 700. You may have other strengths in your profile, maybe a high GPA.
The disadvantage of applying in round 3 is that there aren't that many seats left so competition is rough. I would recommend that you wait for next year.

If you would like more in-depth insights to your individual situation, please sign up for a free consultation via this link and have your full profile evaluated within 24 hours:

https://www.mbaitnow.com/contact-bedford/

I hope this gave a you a little clarity and wish you the best of luck!
As GM of MBAitNow I make sure that every client receives the attention they deserve and experience our well-structured approach and process that ensures that they will have the best chances to get accepted at their dream schools.

My team and I had placed clients at MBA programs such as, HBS, SLOAN, ANDERSON, STERN, WHARTON, BOOTH, KELLOGG, HAAS, DARDEN, FUQUA, ROSS, etc.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by VantagePointMBA » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:53 pm
Hi kb11,

I agree with Andre's feedback above - at this point in the application season, it makes sense for you to wait until the fall 2017 intake (Sept/Oct 2016 round 1 deadlines). Your GMAT is slightly below average for the top 10 programs and without knowing more about your GPA or post-MBA career goals, I can only assume that more time to prepare your application for deadlines that are 6+ months out can only help you. With that lead time, you can work with an admissions consultant to address the weaknesses in your profile in order to increase your chances of admission at your target schools.

Vantage Point has consultants on staff with experience successfully advising applicants with above average years of work experience before business school. Have you considered a part-time or executive MBA program or are you committed to full-time? Either way we'd love to speak to you more about your MBA goals and help you develop your application. You can contact us via our website (www.vantagepointadmissions.com) if you're interested in discussing further.

Best of luck!

- Melody
Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting

We are admissions consulting: reimagined. Click here to learn more!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:38 am
Thanks for sharing your profile.

Your GMAT score is below the average level, but it is within reasonable range of your target schools. Coming from the world affected by high frequency trading, you may share this world a bit in your essays, it could help make your profile more interesting, and bring some unique elements that you can share to enrich class discussions and experiences of your peers.

You would also need to show how an MBA would fit with your background to help you towards a well-defined post-MBA goal. Having more time to prepare could help boost your chances, retaking the GMAT could be a consideration especially if you think it is very realistic for you to do better.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!