680 (q50, v31) : should I retake ?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

680 (q50, v31) : should I retake ?

by r2k » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:07 am
Hi,

I took my GMAT today and scored 680 (q50, v31). I am very disappointed as during my MGMATs and GMATPrep tests I was averaging around 730-740 (Highest 760 and lowest 710)

Can someone please advice me if this score is good enough or should I write the GMAT again ?

The B-schools I am aiming for in order of preference are Sloan, Kellogg, Booth, Berkeley, INSEAD, Yale and LBS

As far as my profile goes:
1. Standing today, I have 20 months of Work experience.
2. I Have worked as a business analyst for a world renowned semiconductor industry. Currently Working as a Program Manager (youngest in the organization) for a renowned High Technology/ Semiconductor Industry.
3. I am a CFA Level 3 candidate (will be appearing for the Level 3 exam in June 2012. I have cleared CFA Level 1 and 2)
4. Undergrad from a top Indian University : GPA of 8.49/10
5. I have authored 2 papers in renowned International Journals
6. I have held several positions of responsibilities and have led several clubs during under-graduation.

During the exam I got stuck on a RC and lost some valuable time, lost focus and had to rush through the last 2-3 questions possibly leading to a low verbal score.

I will be deeply obliged if someone can guide me on this. I would prefer not to write GMAT again but if need be then I can write it again after June as I will be busy until June preparing for CFA Level 3.

Thanks in advance

-r2k

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by jumsumtak » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:21 pm
680 is a decent score and people do get into good schools with that score. But if you were doing so well in the mocks you should probably give it another shot when you are ready.

Also as you're from India (overly represented demographic) it makes sense to push your score as high as you can.

You do have a good profile, and hence getting that 700+ score would definitely be useful.

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:09 pm
r2k wrote:I would prefer not to write GMAT again but if need be then I can write it again after June as I will be busy until June preparing for CFA Level 3.

Thanks in advance

-r2k
As expressed by another fellow in this thread, there seems to be need for gaining competitive advantage in your pool of applicants. Since you'll be writing after June, read by then to boost your comprehension of idea & structure of the dense passages.
Success doesn't come overnight!