640 to 700 - Strategies pls!!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

640 to 700 - Strategies pls!!

by crackgmat007 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:03 pm
Need advice on next steps pls. I gave my gmat yesterday and scored 640 (Q 46, V 31). This was my second attempt, which I gave 2 months before. I scored 580 (Q47, V 23). Since the b school I am targeting requires an average gmat score of more than 720, I really want to cross 700 - at least.

I think I made some silly mistakes on quant. My timing was decent in quant. But my score is not what I expect it to be. I usually scored well in my practice tests. Thoughts on how to improve so that I can get at least 50 in Q pls!!

In verbal, my timing was not good right from 10th question onwards. I was behind by about 7 mins. I could not spot errors in few SC questions as a result of which I had to spend more than 2 mins.

When I was at 32rd question, I had 8 mins to go. 33rd question was a big RC. I was tensed and could neither read the RC properly nor give a guess and move on, but I had to finally give a random guess. I got 4 CRs and 1 SC at the end. I had to guess all of them.

I was banking on SC timing; my timing usually averages between 1 min to 1 min 20 secs and strike rate is about 70%. My timing on CR usually is 2 mins 20 secs and strike rate is about 80%. RC timing and strike rate varies quite a bit. Usually strike rate is about 75%.

Average miss rate in verbal:
SC - 5 to 6 out of 15
CR - 4 out of 14
RC - 5 out of 12

Here are my pactice test scores:

MGMAT 6th - 680 (Q 47, V 35)
MGMAT 1A - 670 (Q 45, V 36) - no repeats
GMATPrep Test 2 - 660 (Q 49, V 32)
GMATPrep Test 1 - 710 (Q 48, V 38) - 14 repeats in verbal
MGMAT 2A - 740 (Q 47, V 44) - 9 repeats in verbal & 4 in quant
MGMAT 3A - 730 (Q 50, V 39) - 9 repeats in verbal & 3 in quant
GMATPrep Test 1 - 750 (Q 48, V 38) - 22 repeats overall

I could see that when pressed for time, my mind goes blank and I am not able to implement my strategies.

Books I followed apart from OGs:
1. MGMAT SC Guide
2. Powerscore CR Bible

I have exhausted most of my sources (OGs, 80% of 1000 CRs & 20% of 1000 SCs) in verbal. Any suggestions on next steps are appreciated.

Tx for your pointers.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:15 pm
IMHO, before you do anything, congratulate yourself for your score improvement.

Taking your quant from 47 to 50 means practicing some medium to hard questions. IMHO, there's no true resource out there for hard questions, at least none that I have used... Kaplan 800 is not really "800"... I understand MGMAT Challenges are harder than the real thing. I've also heard that the gmatclub tests are intense practice, but I'm not sure if you should direct resources that way, since it's an informal collection, created by untrained people (I think). The following options are the best, IMHO:
- buy GMAT Focus (see review by Ian here)
- try to solve problems posted on this forum, since people usually post the tougher questions they encounter
- try zuleron's files for tough GMATprep questions (search this forum, GMAT strategy... I think they're called 99 questions or something)

However, it's not quant that should be your main focus, but verbal. It will be hard (if not impossible) for you to break 700 without beefing up your verbal score. You seem to be using all the good resources though, so I can't really say what the underlying problem is here. I'll take a stab at it however: did you properly review the MGMAT SC guide and the CR Bible? Sometimes we read without properly absorbing all the info. The problem with this is the fact that you generally know the rules, but since you have not studied them properly, they form a sort of huge, tangled cloud in your head. You might be confusing one rule for other or stuff like that.

IMHO, if you work on clearing up all the rules and maybe do some "off the clock" reading (i.e. good quality material) you'll also raise your chances of not getting stuck in verbal. If you're not 100% sure of the rules/tips, then getting confused during the test will not only mean picking the wrong answer, but also feeling stressed out.

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:42 pm
Thanks for your inputs DanaJ.

To get some specific pointers, can I get some thoughts on the below:

1. I could ace through the medium difficult questions in Quant easily. When it comes to harder questions, I tried to solve, but I felt panicky when I take more than 3 mins. As a result I tend to guess such questions. How do I go about time management? Does practicing help? I am thinking of GMAT clubs. Do you suggest these or are there any other sources?

2. Wrt to verbal, I developed strategies for each section and for each question type, especially in CR & RC. But I could not implement those strategies when pressed for time. How do I better manage time coz I see that I could not implement strategies when I saw that I had 8 mins to go with 9 questions left? Pls see the timing for each section in verbal in my post above and suggest ways to improve timing.

Time management and solving within assigned time has become critical to boost my score. Although I know how to solve each type of question, I could not solve coz of lack of time :?

Strategies I followed for verbal:
RC - Read the passage and understand the main idea of each paragraph. Make brief notes for each paragraph.
- Depending on the question type, refer back to specific section and answer the question

What went wrong:
- I could not make notes of the paragraph coz I could not comprehend the passage
- I got a long passage in mid 20s. I was behind by 7 mins already. Was trying to scan thru the passage to save time. But this did not help but rather went against.

SC:
- Read the stem and identify splits; eliminate ones that have grammar errors

What went wrong:
- I took time to identify splits and was not confident answering the question. As a result, I took close to 2 mins or may be more than that.

CR:
- In general I was able to implement strategies - learnt from Powerscore CR bible - but I got many CRs at the end. Due to timing issue, I had to randomly guess. I usually take 2 mins 30 secs for each CR.

I find myself re-reading questions a lot more this attempt, especially in verbal (particularly SC I have become quite slow in SC), thus losing a lot of time.

3. What sources should I get for practising more on verbal? LSAT prep materials or do you recommend any other materials? I exhausted OG 11, 12 & verbal review already. But I am planning to analyze the explanations again

4. I am thinking of the following approach. pls let me know if it needs any changes:

Quant:
- Work on refining concepts in quant. Practice questions based on topic from OG 11th to strengthen concepts
- Practice GMAT clubs
- Solve questions on forum

Verbal:
- Read MGMAT SC guice & work on OG 11th & Verbal review problems for each topic. Although I solved all problems twice, I am thinking that I might have missed some explanations. Also, I am thinking of going thru 'Doing Grammer' book too. Do you recommend?
- Practice 1000 SC
- Read CR bible & strengthen the concepts.
- Practice LSAT CR
- GMAT club tests
- Solve questions on forum

5. Which areas should I focus more on? Should I concentrate more on verbal or have a balance between quant and verbal? How should my study plan be from now till the test date?

I want to give my exam again in 1.5 months. Pls suggest on the above. Thanks much for your help.

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:10 pm
1. Practicing does help when trying to improve on timing. Here are a few other tips:
- try not to take lengthy, convoluted notes
- use mental math (i.e. in 53*49 notice that 49 = 50 - 1 and therefore solve faster)
- try to memorize some important stuff for the GMAT (i.e. all the squares up to 15) so you won't need to go through the calculations on the real thing.
As I've mentioned above, I'm not sure if gmatclub tests are worth it. I understand they are more challenging, but since they were put together by untrained people, I can't say for sure whether they'd be an asset or a waste of time. It's up to you whether or not you want to invest the time/money in those. I personally have not reviewed any of them, so I can't formulate a clear opinion. IMHO, search the forum here for tough questions, you'll surely find some.

2. Not being able to implement strategies when under time constraints can have two causes:
- you did not review the tips properly, so they did not stick well to your head
- you did not time your practice at home, so you've had little exercise with working with little time
My tips: read stuff (Economist, WSJ, businessweek.com), improve grammar (using the books you suggested might be a pretty good idea), time your practice!

3. I think LSAT materials are great, IMHO, albeit slightly difficult. Save those until the end of your prep (after you've properly reviewed other sources) or do just a few a day. Since you've worked through so much material (OG 11, 12, verbal), there will definitely be some value to reviewing, since you might have forgotten some of the questions.
If I was reserved regarding gmatclub math tests, I'm even more so for verbal. Even Kaplan messes up its verbal questions, so I don't expect the forums to provide clear, good verbal questions, not because they're stupid, just because writing high quality questions takes A LOT of time/effort.

4. I think your plan is pretty solid. Try to stick to it though and don't get distracted!

5. I suppose you should place a higher emphasis on verbal, but do not neglect quant. It brings valuable points to non-natives... Planning your study regime is more up to your personal taste:
- if you like variety, you could work on 10 problems per type every day
- if you prefer to focus on specific areas at a time, you could go for one section a day, with 20-30 or so problems
It honestly depends: you should by now have a feeling of which strategy works best for you and which has proven a disaster. I guess you should refine what you find useful and eliminate what you find annoying - if some strategy gets on your nerves, then eliminate it all together, no matter how highly recommended it is. You'll feel much better and perform much better if you do what you like.

All the best.

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:06 am
Thanks again DanaJ.
- use mental math (i.e. in 53*49 notice that 49 = 50 - 1 and therefore solve faster)
You are right. I don't do mental math as I feel more confident doing on the paper - rather less confident doing mental math lest I make some silly errors. Reason being, I make silly mistakes while doing math on the paper, I think that I may make more mistakes doing mental math. I guess practice is a solution to this. Correct?
2. Not being able to implement strategies when under time constraints can have two causes:
- you did not review the tips properly, so they did not stick well to your head
- you did not time your practice at home, so you've had little exercise with working with little time
I did practice under strict timing constraints - 75 mins 41 questions. Also, if I see repeats, I dont consider the timing that went into these repeats. That way I got a clear picture of how much time I took for each new question. The averages I gave above is based on my practice log. I think that when pressed for time, I bypass the strategies thinking that I can do faster, but with no luck. How should I ace the test when pressed for time? I experienced the following during the exam:

1. I got hung up with few questions in the 10 to 20s.
2. I reread the question in case if I could not comprehend the question - main indicator that I will run short of time
3. Not able to eliminate answer choices confidently
4. Stuck with 2 choices and unable to decide
5. Ending up guessing last 5 to 8 questions

I experienced the same in both attempts. But I was confident in answering at least some questions this time.

Based on the above weaknesses, do you recommend me doing the following or are there any other smarter ways to address the above weaknesses?

1. Strengthen concepts - read grammer books, guides etc
2. Read economist - as you suggested - to improve reading speed
3. Practice solving questions in 65 mins instead of 75 mins
I think LSAT materials are great, IMHO, albeit slightly difficult. Save those until the end of your prep (after you've properly reviewed other sources) or do just a few a day.
Do you have any idea about which LSAT materials are good? I read in the forum that LSAT tests with Kaplan explanations are good. I tried searching on Amazon, but was not sure of the right book that was suggested on this forum. The guy who used this book, got it from esnipps.

Once again thanks for your insights.

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 am
Yes, practice helps you with basically everything, and mental math is no exception. I got pretty good at it because my uncle explained it to me in the simplest terms before I went to high school and have used it ever since.

I suppose your strategy for verbal/timing improvement is a pretty solid one. Just make sure to stick to it! We sometimes devise really clever plans, but to not stick to them because of laziness/other superficial reasons.

LSAT materials that are good... I don't really know any specific ones, but I do know there's a full length LSAT test on the official website (link) and of course you could buy the books presented on their website (the "10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests" series, I believe). I'm not sure if you should trust Kaplan material. After all, you'd be buying the LSAT stuff to improve on RC and CR and these are weak areas for Kaplan materials (questions are wnot at all GMAT-styled).

Here's another link to an official LSAT test.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:610

by rishi4you » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:37 am
I am sailing on the same boat, with a poor verbal score. Since then i had started focussing on the SC part as i thought that is one thing which we need to make it rock solid to gain a good verbal score.

The question on actual GMAT is much more harder than what any of the prep companies including MGMAT or Kaplan or PR has and a good way to see one' progress is to see how is one doing in the GMAT Prep SC questions and what is the basis of selecting the right answer and rejecting the wrong ones. They are the closest to the actual stuff. So i wont do a lot other things but only refer to Manhattan SC guide forcalrification if i have to for understnading any reasoning for any GMAT Prep SC question.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:06 am
Received a PM asking me to respond. I agree with Dana on multiple points - nice job on the verbal improvement! And you do need some work on the verbal side of things in order to hit your goal.

One thing stands out for me in your posts: timing. For example, in your discussion of quant, you said:
I felt panicky when I take more than 3 mins
The test is always going to give you things that would take you more than 3 minutes, because the test can always give you something harder, no matter how good you get. When the test does give you something that's too hard, your task is to recognize that within the first 30-60 seconds, make an educated guess, and move on at or before the 2min mark.

If you need 3+ minutes, then that's just an indication that you don't really know how to do this problem, because there is a 2 min solution to this problem. You just don't know what it is. And if you don't really know how to do it, then the longer you spend, the more likely you are to have to guess anyway. So guess at or before the 2min mark - at least the guess won't hurt you on other questions later in the section (when you have to start rushing because you used up too much time earlier).

Ditto on the verbal. In fact, overall if you don't fix this timing problem, you are not going to hit 700+. You need to do two things here: change your mindset and know how long 1 min is without looking at a clock.

First, your mindset: you still think that you need to get everything right, even if you know intellectually, during calm moments, that you do NOT have to get everything right. (And, in fact, you're going to get many questions wrong - that's just how the test works).

Start thinking of this as a tennis match, not a test. You're going to win some points and the other guy is going to win some points; you're not going to win them all, right? Your goal is to put yourself into position to win the LAST point. Translated, that means you have to put yourself in position to answer the last question - you have to have time to address it. Otherwise, you've lost the last point, and by extension the match. When the other guy hits a winner, don't go running after it so fast that you hit the fence and injure yourself, thereby hurting your chances on the later points. (Translation: don't go way over when the problem is too hard.)

Next: learn about how long one minute is without looking at a watch or stopwatch. If you don't have one already, buy yourself a stopwatch with lap timing capability. When you go to do a set of problems, start the stopwatch but turn it over so you can't see the time. Every time you think one minute has gone by, push the lap button. When you're done, see how good you were - and whether you tend to over or underestimate. Get yourself to the point where you're within 15 seconds either way on a regular basis (that is, you can generally predict between 45 sec and 1min 15 sec).

Now, how do you use that when doing problems? If you're not on track by one minute, make an educated guess and move on. (The general idea is that if you're not on track by the halfway mark, you're unlikely to figure out what's holding you back AND have time to do the whole problem in the 1 min you have left.)

* For SC, 1min is well beyond the half-way mark (we're supposed to average about 1m15s here), but you can almost always eliminate at least some choices on SC in that timeframe. Once you've got that "I'm around the 1min mark and I'm struggling" feeling, go through any remaining choices ONCE more. Pick one. Move on.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:42 am
Thanks much Stacey.

I am working on my timing now and will implement your suggestions.

Few other weaknesses I noticed during the exam are:

1. Low performance under pressure - I get tensed when I see 8 questions left and 8 mins to go. I am sure, I could have done at least 4 questions correct. But pressure builds up as the clock ticks and I am not able to solve any of the 8 questions. How do I fix this issue? I am thinking speed reading, comprehension coupled with conceptual strengths (SC rules etc) can help improve performance and timing. I think my performance goes downhill in case of pressure. How do I fix this?

2. Regression & lack of comprehension - I reread the question in case if I do not comprehend the question/stimulus/passage. This is a main indicator that I will run short of time. To fix this issue, I am planning to read at least an hour per day from economist, ivyjournal, wsj etc.

I am targeting to complete verbal portion of the exam in 70 mins instead of 75. I want to gradually get there.

Can you let me know if the above would help reduce the weaknesses or if there are any other ways to work on the above weaknesses?

Since I exhausted all practice exams (Gprep & MGMAT), can you recommend any other practice tests? or do you suggest me to repeat the tests? I would like to see how my timing improves during the practice tests.

Also, can you pls let me know if the action plan stated in my earlier post (above) will help get my dream score? Any suggestions or thoughts are much appreciated.

Once again, thanks for your insights Stacey.

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:53 pm
I have split the topics.

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:16 am
Thanks DanaJ. Appreciate your help.

Pls provide your thoughts on how to address the weaknesses stated in my post above. Tx.

Site Admin

by DanaJ » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:00 am
I do believe that those questions were posted for Stacey, but I'll also give it a shot, since you've asked.

1. This is linked with your timing issues. Ideally, you should not be in the situation to have just 1 min/question. This is why implementing the above tips will surely help you avoid this sort of situation.

I know very well how this feels: a few years back, I took a test called the Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English. I was doing fine in all sections, but the Writing just took me by surprise. When I realized I had just a little bit of time left, my body just snapped and I went into a glycemic crash (or at least I think that's the correct translation for it): my arms started shaking uncontrollably and my mind just went numb. I managed to finish just in time and turns out that, despite my zigzagging writing, I scored almost 100%. Ever since then, whenever I feel pressed for time, I just take a deep breath and say to myself: "There's still some time. I'm going to give these problems 110% and prove to myself that I deserve that high mark." I guess this is just an exercise in keeping cool. You might find another method that works for you!

Anyway, if it were me with just 8 minutes left, I'd try to solve 1-2 questions properly and then do some educated guessing for the rest. For SC, you can read any question pretty fast and at least get it down to the 2-3 split in 30 seconds and then guess. For CR and RC, just cross off the list any options that contain strong words: "always", "never", "every time"... I've also recently read this article about the life of Stanley Kaplan. In the third section, they present some questions from the SAT that could be answered without looking at the passage. Sometimes, you can follow the same reasoning as explained there to eliminate choices for your GMAT!

Anyway, this is all about damage control. As I've said, try to go for the timing issue first. If it doesn't work, at least "print" the above steps in your head so if (God forbid) you find yourself strapped for time, you know what to do.

2. Indeed, rereading is a sign you have to improve general comprehension. Another tip is to just try to will yourself into believing that you are truly and wholeheartedly interested in every little passage. It will make reading a more pleasant and relaxing experience.

IMHO, rereading is not necessarily a sign you'll have timing issues. I sometimes reread some passages but don't get worked up about it. The key here is to keep calm. It's not a tragedy if you have to go over the passage again, but IT IS a tragedy if you start showing signs of anxiety/stress.

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:23 am
Well said DanaJ. Tx for your thoughts.

To improve my reading, I was searching for online reading material. In order to follow the authors point, I thought of reading passages that closeley resemble GMAT RC passages. Did you come across any reading material on the internet that closely resembles GMAT RC passages? - like author states his main point and gives several examples or author is contrasting, or author is critiqueing etc etc. I am fine with business & some of the science related passages since I am interested in these passages. But when it comes to social related passages, I dont really get the point of the passage.

Pls suggest some good online materials for each categorty. Tx much.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:41 am
I've been traveling - sorry I haven't replied in so long! Nice improvement!
Low performance under pressure - I get tensed when I see 8 questions left and 8 mins to go.
Everybody would be extremely tense in this situation. The fix is not to let yourself get into that situation in the first place! I will repeat something I said in my last post:
The test is always going to give you things that would take you more than 3 minutes, because the test can always give you something harder, no matter how good you get. When the test does give you something that's too hard, your task is to recognize that within the first 30-60 seconds, make an educated guess, and move on at or before the 2min mark.
Again, you are ALWAYS going to have to guess. Your only choice is to decide WHEN to guess. You can pick the hardest questions as you see them throughout the section, or you can not do anything and then you'll be forced to guess on a bunch in a row at the end. Obviously, that's not a good "choice" - you'd rather choose the hardest questions as you see them throughout the section.

Next, you also have to recognize that something is too hard for you before the time is up for questions of that type. The goal is to make the guess without losing any time on that question. Getting it right doesn't matter (in fact, I'd argue that you kind of want to get it wrong - if it's already that hard, you don't really want a harder one next!).
Regression & lack of comprehension - I reread the question in case if I do not comprehend the question/stimulus/passage. This is a main indicator that I will run short of time.
This is also a potential indicator that the question is just too hard for you. Pay attention!

As I mentioned in my last post, you need to (a) learn how long 1 min is without looking at the clock and (b) change your behavior re: time spent on questions (let it go when you can't answer it in the expected timeframe). If you do not change that mindset, then you are going to find it very difficult to achieve your goal.

GMATPrep does not give you per-question timing data, so you will have to time yourself while you take those tests. You can still take both GMATPrep and MGMAT CATs with repeats as long as you follow a few guidelines to minimize the chance of artificially inflating your score via question repeats. First, anytime you see a problem that you remember (and this means: I know the answer or I'm pretty sure I remember the answer, not just "hmm, this looks familiar..."), immediately look at the timer and make yourself sit there for the full length of time for that question type. This way, you don't artificially give yourself more time than you should have. Second, think about whether you got this problem right the last time. If you did, get it right again this time. If you didn't, get it wrong again. If you *completely honestly* think that you would get it right this time around if it were a new question (even though you got it wrong last time) because you've studied that area and improved, then get it right this time.

You asked whether your above plan would get you to the score you want. I'll repeat something else I said in my last post: if you do not fix your timing and guessing strategies, you will not get the score that you want. So start there. Once you fix those areas, we'll see where you are and what you need to do. (I'll also say that, given that you had to guess on 5+ questions in a row at the end of your verbal section, your scoring ability is already probably a decent amount higher than what you actually scored on the verbal section - so just fixing the timing problems will help a great deal!)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:21 pm
Thanks much Stacey. I will work on timing and guessing strategies.

Will keep you posted on the progress.