640(M 51, V25.percentile76%)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

640(M 51, V25.percentile76%)

by yangliu0401 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:41 pm
Feel so bad for my V :(

Esp. RC.
Any suggestion about the skills on RC? I can understand the whole passage, but can not select the rite ans. Oh so bad!!!

Gonna to fight back at the end of April.

May every body get a satisfying result!

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:32 pm
Wow 51 Q that's fantastic.

I think V37-38 might put u over the 700 barrier. Check out posts from Stacey Koprince for RC/Verbal tips in general.

I have seen quite a few posts from her. Good luck and wish u the very best for even higher score in April!

U can do it....

Regards,
CR

Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:760

by canada_sms » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:50 pm
In my opinion, it's hard to get good at reading comprehension if you have a short prep period. If you have about 6 months then I would recommend getting a subscription to 'The Economist' and spending 30 minutes a day reading articles.

Also, getting good at critical reasoning inference questions will help on RC.

Different prep companies recommend different strategies and it's important to find out what works for you. I tried out the Manhattan strategy of taking notes but I found that it slowed me down way too much. In the end I generally did one thorough reading of the passage and then did some small amounts of re-reading depending on the questions and answers.

Whatever approach you take it's important to practice it under timed conditions. This is critical especially considering the fact that you can get an RC passage late in a verbal section. I would actually keep a running count of the number of RC questions I saw and adjust my pace accordingly if I could tell that I was going to get an RC in the late 30s of a section.

I hope that helps. Stick to it and I'm sure you'll be successful.

by yangliu0401 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:51 am
thx for all of u amazing suggestion! I appreciate them so much!

And yes, I think one month is not enough for me to have a thorough preparation on CR. I just wanna to do it in a short time! So I can tell it's really tough :oops: !!!

Well, as for math, I just got some points during my preparation, and I'd like to share them with ur guys:

I think the most important point is to be as patient as u can. The Mathematical Theory is not that hard in GMAT. GMAC just wants to test ur ability to solve the Qs in the limited time, so no matter what method u use, be sure u use the fastest one. Reading the Qs very carefully is the basic thing that help u to solve Qs, so do pay attention to this. U know, many Qs are tricky, the ans. would be totally diff. if u miss some points of the information provided.

When I did math, I usually used one method to get the ans., and used another mehtod to test whether my choice was right. I think this is also very useful, at least for me :D

Hope all I mentioned above make sense to u and wish u good luck!

Yes We Can!!!