• Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep

610->660->750- Third time's the charm

This topic has 18 member replies
Goto page
  • 1,
  • 2
Next
CarlosP Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
07 Nov 2013
Posted:
19 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Thanked:
4 times

610->660->750- Third time's the charm

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:53 am
Got done with the GMAT finally and happy that I won’t have to take it again. Mine is a long journey spreading over more than a year.

March 2014: Took the GMAT with only a month of preparation. I thought that I did decent on the exam but was shocked to see only a 610. I think I was not fully prepared for what the GMAT will throw at me.
I was planning to take the GMAT in May then but I had an appraisal due in June and was expecting a hefty raise if I continued my good performance in office so postponed the exam


Feb 2015: I took the exam again but didn’t score that well..While I got a good quant score, verbal sank me and I got a 660 only. I realized that doing only the Kaplan book and OG will not be sufficient if I wanted to cross the 40 mark on verbal.

April 2015: Score 750 this time. While taking the test, I could feel that I’m in command of the test and while earlier I would get stuck between the remaining two options in verbal, in this test I could logically eliminate most of the options.
I used aristotle grail series this time alongwith manhattan tests. The grail series was excellent, much easier to understand and better than manhattangmat books. I loved their sc grail the most!
I also got hold of the gmac additional tests and questionbanks. I think these were crucial in helping me get a firm hold of the exam and helped me do well.

I still have a couple of months before I apply. Will be doing a few school visits and will be applying in R1.
My final advice to everyone is that GMAT can’t be done with fluke. You really need to prepare well unless you are a genius. Put in the hardwork and you will definitely get results.

Good luck everyone. These forums have been of great help. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanked by: nizam, gonegirl76, nchaswal
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
gsetia001 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
13 Jul 2014
Posted:
2 messages
Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:24 am
Hi Carlos,

Congratulations on achieving that score.
Can you please share some more details of the grail series that you used. Did you use all the books or only some specific topics.

As of now i am using Manhattan GMAT but not having full conceptual clarity of certain topics. Will you suggest referring to the grail series even for quants.

Wish you luck for further success in the B school .

Thanks,
Guneet

gsetia001 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
13 Jul 2014
Posted:
2 messages
Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:02 am
Hi Carlos,

Congratulations for getting such an amazing score.

Can you please share some more details about the Grail series that you had used.

Is it better than Manhattan for both quant and verbal. I have been using Manhattan but still not able to solve the questions with clarity.

Wish you luck in the B school

Cheers,
Guneet

royrijit1 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
23 Mar 2015
Posted:
18 messages
Thanked:
1 times
Target GMAT Score:
700+
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:21 am
Hi Guneet,

I have been using Manhattan books and somehow I find that I am still missing bits and pieces of knowledge required to efficiently solve a SC question. Few examples would be specific differences between: because of vs due to, That vs Which, Instead of vs Rather than and similar topics. I just read in one of the reviews at Amazon that Grail' SC has a specific section explainig these kind of commonly tested concepts. I am therefore willing to try the Grail book and will shortly order online.

Just thought to share this with you because it seems we are having the same kind of queries.

Thanks,
Rijit

Thanked by: gsetia001
CarlosP Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
07 Nov 2013
Posted:
19 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Thanked:
4 times
Post Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:31 pm
gsetia001 wrote:
Hi Carlos,

Congratulations for getting such an amazing score.

Can you please share some more details about the Grail series that you had used.

Is it better than Manhattan for both quant and verbal. I have been using Manhattan but still not able to solve the questions with clarity.

Wish you luck in the B school

Cheers,
Guneet
Manhattan sc is a good book but not very useful for non-natives like me who have to start from scratch. Aristotle grail was quite helpful in that regard. It simplifies things a lot. if you're facing difficulty in sc, you'd not regret getting your hands on sc grail. Good luck

Thanked by: gsetia001
kashif raza Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
08 Oct 2012
Posted:
9 messages
Post Sun May 03, 2015 9:51 pm
I was able to solve 85% of questions correctly in Official Guide & 70% in Manhattan Quant guides. But when i gave first Manhattan CAT i was confident in just 4-5 questions, on the rest of the questions i was struggling. I found quant questions in CAT to be very, very hard. Should i go for Manhattan Advanced guide also? I have studied all 5 Manhattan quant guides - 5th edition & solved every question of official guide - 13th edition. Or is it just that the 1st Manhattan CAT is insanely hard in quant?

CarlosP Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
07 Nov 2013
Posted:
19 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Thanked:
4 times
Post Sun May 10, 2015 8:56 am
kashif raza wrote:
I was able to solve 85% of questions correctly in Official Guide & 70% in Manhattan Quant guides. But when i gave first Manhattan CAT i was confident in just 4-5 questions, on the rest of the questions i was struggling. I found quant questions in CAT to be very, very hard. Should i go for Manhattan Advanced guide also? I have studied all 5 Manhattan quant guides - 5th edition & solved every question of official guide - 13th edition. Or is it just that the 1st Manhattan CAT is insanely hard in quant?
Yeah.MGMAT Quant tests are very hard and not representative of what you will see on the GMAT. Take the GMATPREP tests and you will get a much better idea of what your competency level is on quant

ashok27 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
19 Feb 2014
Posted:
42 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Thanked:
3 times
Post Tue May 19, 2015 8:29 pm
Very good post. This is my first attempt in a couple of days and your journey was great.

gonegirl76 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
10 May 2015
Posted:
5 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Sat May 23, 2015 11:27 pm
CarlosP wrote:
Got done with the GMAT finally and happy that I won’t have to take it again. Mine is a long journey spreading over more than a year.

March 2014: Took the GMAT with only a month of preparation. I thought that I did decent on the exam but was shocked to see only a 610. I think I was not fully prepared for what the GMAT will throw at me.
I was planning to take the GMAT in May then but I had an appraisal due in June and was expecting a hefty raise if I continued my good performance in office so postponed the exam


Feb 2015: I took the exam again but didn’t score that well..While I got a good quant score, verbal sank me and I got a 660 only. I realized that doing only the Kaplan book and OG will not be sufficient if I wanted to cross the 40 mark on verbal.

April 2015: Score 750 this time. While taking the test, I could feel that I’m in command of the test and while earlier I would get stuck between the remaining two options in verbal, in this test I could logically eliminate most of the options.
I used aristotle grail series this time alongwith manhattan tests. The grail series was excellent, much easier to understand and better than manhattangmat books. I loved their sc grail the most!
I also got hold of the gmac additional tests and questionbanks. I think these were crucial in helping me get a firm hold of the exam and helped me do well.

I still have a couple of months before I apply. Will be doing a few school visits and will be applying in R1.
My final advice to everyone is that GMAT can’t be done with fluke. You really need to prepare well unless you are a genius. Put in the hardwork and you will definitely get results.

Good luck everyone. These forums have been of great help. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Great score. I was wondering what precisely did you analyze in your practice tests? How much time did you spend in analyzing each question?

ashok27 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
19 Feb 2014
Posted:
42 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Thanked:
3 times
Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:07 pm
^^ Spend at least double the time you spend in taking a test. It's incredibly important to do that. I saw one of my friends just went crazy taking tests but would spend hardly 10 minutes in analyzing it. You must make sure that you spend enough time

CarlosP Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
07 Nov 2013
Posted:
19 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Thanked:
4 times
Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:04 am
ashok27 wrote:
^^ Spend at least double the time you spend in taking a test. It's incredibly important to do that. I saw one of my friends just went crazy taking tests but would spend hardly 10 minutes in analyzing it. You must make sure that you spend enough time
Spot on advice.. Analyzing your mistakes and then not repeating them makes all the difference not only on GMAT but probably in life too

gmat barcelona Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Joined
13 Jan 2014
Posted:
46 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Thanked:
2 times
Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:46 am
Hi Carlos,

That is fantastic news! With a 760/Q50, you're in the perfect position to apply to any Business School that you choose. Good Luck with your applications.

Congratulations and all the best!

_________________
Alexander Steward
GMAT & GRE Instructor
GMAT, TOEFL, GRE, IELTS & TOEIC Center Barcelona
**Prepara el Gmat en Barcelona con los expertos**
http://www.gmatbarcelona.com

neha.gar Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Posted:
19 messages
Thanked:
1 times
Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:38 am
CarlosP wrote:
Got done with the GMAT finally and happy that I won’t have to take it again. Mine is a long journey spreading over more than a year.

March 2014: Took the GMAT with only a month of preparation. I thought that I did decent on the exam but was shocked to see only a 610. I think I was not fully prepared for what the GMAT will throw at me.
I was planning to take the GMAT in May then but I had an appraisal due in June and was expecting a hefty raise if I continued my good performance in office so postponed the exam


Feb 2015: I took the exam again but didn’t score that well..While I got a good quant score, verbal sank me and I got a 660 only. I realized that doing only the Kaplan book and OG will not be sufficient if I wanted to cross the 40 mark on verbal.

April 2015: Score 750 this time. While taking the test, I could feel that I’m in command of the test and while earlier I would get stuck between the remaining two options in verbal, in this test I could logically eliminate most of the options.
I used aristotle grail series this time alongwith manhattan tests. The grail series was excellent, much easier to understand and better than manhattangmat books. I loved their sc grail the most!
I also got hold of the gmac additional tests and questionbanks. I think these were crucial in helping me get a firm hold of the exam and helped me do well.

I still have a couple of months before I apply. Will be doing a few school visits and will be applying in R1.
My final advice to everyone is that GMAT can’t be done with fluke. You really need to prepare well unless you are a genius. Put in the hardwork and you will definitely get results.

Good luck everyone. These forums have been of great help. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Just starting off with my prep and good to see what mistakes people made and how they overcame those. Hopefully i don't make those :)How should i prepare for verbal? I am not very good at it

sameer.pinto Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
15 Apr 2015
Posted:
18 messages
Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:38 pm
Hello--i have been struggling with the verbal part for quite sometime..Not sure what should we do..Does reading economist and NYT help?

neha.gar Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Posted:
19 messages
Thanked:
1 times
Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:58 am
sameer.pinto wrote:
Hello--i have been struggling with the verbal part for quite sometime..Not sure what should we do..Does reading economist and NYT help?
Just like you a newbie- but yes reading economist and it's wonderful for improving rc comprehension

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 65 topics
3 Roland2rule 49 topics
4 ardz24 40 topics
5 LUANDATO 16 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

146 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

103 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

100 posts
4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

92 posts
5 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

79 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts