5 month study plan

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:07 am
Again: I do think it's useful to use GMAC tests for evaluative purposes. The Veritas expert here can offer you explanations for their test questionsand why you might have answered what you did (what traps you fell into).

It might be helpful to go back into you LSAT study materials and reignite the memories of using that material. Then hop back over to GMAT> LSAT material IS harder than GMAT.

In terms of Math: geometry, probability, and most of the DS questions being issues I'd consider the following: Geometry - a higher yield topic. You can and should nail this. Probability. less important (but can be fun). Get a few things down with this but a low yield topic. DS. super important. It's less likely about the math and more likely about approach and critical thinking. These are skills that you can improve upon with practice. Bring in some of your LSAT critical thinking prep of the 'games' section. It will come in handy.

Also important issue is your timing. If you're not scoring a 700 and you have time to spare. You're going to fast. Period.

If your SC tanked, you're going to need to identify what your issues are with those questions. I highly recommend you check out our book on SC which provides comprehensive treatment of SC - - among the most to date. It will also identify if you're needing to 'memorize' or 'trust your gut' when it comes to these question types. The challenge with treatment of this section in many books is that there are blanket statements about what to do and they don't delve into exceptions....and it's the exceptions that often delineate those who get top scores. Since SC is the easiest of the question types to improve - - it's behooves you to learn all the rules, and the exceptions. It, and some problem solving in Math, are really the most finite part of the test. Here is the link for you to check out https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC . Dr. van Hoek, another expert here with TPNY/TPSF was the co-author.

We can also provide you with a more in depth evaluation of what you're doing, specifically with SC, wrong. I have a quiz for SC we send to people. Send me a Private Message (or here, it doesn't matter) telling me which of the following are incorrect:

1. Never have I heard such a thing.
2. So determined was he to succeed that he invested every penny of his fortune in the endeavor.
3. Had I known that there was a problem, I could have addressed it.
4. It's essential that he be there on time. \
5. Only once did I mention it to him.
6. Few people knew of the tragedy, for the president's aides had decided to keep it a secret.
7. He said but one word: "Rosebud."
8. Should any problem arise, don't hesitate to tell me.
9. The volatile businessman was widely believed to have grown up in a tough neighborhood.
10. The senator has two offices, one of which is located in his home state.
11. That Rhode Island is not, in fact, an island comes as a surprise to some people.
12. A sample to be tested for botulism must be sent to the correct laboratory.
13. Controversies over genetically modified foods are particularly intractable in that the parties to the controversy typically have vastly different levels of scientific expertise.
14. The more than 36 million people living in California represent an astonishing diversity of ethnicities, languages and religions.
15. The man arrested for burglary was found to be an upstanding citizen.

(anyone can do this...)

Keep us all posted.
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Dondarrion » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:12 am
Thanks for the tips Bara!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:17 pm
Well... I am feeling down but not out. Q22/V32 = 470 - Veritas Prep Exam #1

Thoughts: Quant
-Did a lot of guessing
-Felt very lost on geometry, probability, and most of the DS questions
-In my review, I easily could've gotten 10 more right without stupid errors

Thoughts: Verbal
-91% correct on CR
-Did very well on RC as well, just a few stupid mistakes
-SC was absolutely awful. Definitely need to hit this hard

Timing
My timing was all sorts of messed up. I finished quant with about 15 minutes left and verbal with a whopping 35 minutes!
No reason to feel down. It makes sense that you'd struggle on the quant of your first practice test - much of the math covers topics most of us haven't thought much about since seventh or eighth grade, and Data Sufficiency is a new kind of question altogether. It takes some time to get used to. Moreover, if you're capable of scoring a 170 on the LSAT, you're capable of scoring 40+ on the verbal section of the GMAT, provided you can develop some good strategies for SC questions. (Here's our SC lesson to get you started: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gmat-lesson/) Combine that with some foundation-building for the quant, and you're on your way. It'll take some work, but I'd say there's good reason for optimism.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by Dondarrion » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:31 pm
Update to my previous post. Today I took my second practice test (MGMAT #1) and scored Q35/V34 = 580

Thoughts
- My timing is way off, still need to work on this
- I felt a lot more comfortable on Quant. I still did a ton of random guessing on problems I haven't yet covered i.e. geometry, probability, statistics, combinatorics, algebra
- My SC went up and my CR went down. I felt like the MGMAT CR questions were pretty difficult and they weren't "clicking" with me like on the GMATPrep test. Need to review these next.

Going to really dig into the test tomorrow morning and blind review all the problems I missed.

Glad I still have until March to take the exam!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:06 am
Hi Dondarrion,

The good news here is that you've made a considerable jump from the 480 you reported on a previous attempt. This is something you should be very proud of, and is a good indicator that you are making progress, so keep at it. You'll likely learn even more as you dig into this attempt to identify where your current weaknesses/timing issues are, and based on your current improvement, I'm confident you can squeeze out more points and get closer to your target score.

Best,
Rich

by Dondarrion » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:17 pm
Update:

I am currently 43 days away from my GMAT. I got a great tutor who has been really helping out my quant game. I feel like I am really improving and understanding the concepts much better, but it's not quite translating to practice tests just yet.

Today I took my 3rd practice test (MGMAT #2) and scored a Q37/V35 - 600. This was a full CAT with essay and IR.

Thoughts on AWA and IR
- I made it to the final paragraph of my AWA and ran out of time. I was following the chineseburned guide and will keep practicing with it.
- First time with IR questions, will take a look at these as the test gets closer.

Thoughts on Quant
- My timing is improving, but it's scattered and not consistent.
- I went 13 of 22 in PS and an embarrassing 4 of 15 on DS. I am confident I will be able to pull this up rapidly - I have only been focused on PS and understanding concepts.
- After I did a blind review on the PS questions I missed, I was able to easily solve 6 problems I had gotten wrong and immediately see my errors. Eg. 3+(5/3) is (9/3)+(5/3), not (3/3)+(5/3)
- I didn't feel very comfortable with probability, combinatorics, and a few tough geometry questions

Thoughts on Verbal
- Timing can improve, it was scattered.
- My SC is getting much better. I went 10 of 15 with 12 questions in the 700-800 range. There were 3 questions I should've gotten correct (2 idioms, 1 modifier).
- RC about the same as before - 8 of 12
- I need to go back and really study GMAT CR. 5 of 14 (12 were 700-800!)

I am not where I want to be but I am well on my way! I think it was Rich who said to not focus on the scores of your practice tests but rather the areas you need to improve.

Be back next week for my next test.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:04 pm
Hi Dondarrion,

You've made some nice progress over the last few months; raising your practice scores from 470 to 600 is a solid improvement).

Back at the end of July, my advice to you was to not worry about your SPEED, since accuracy has to come first. That is a common issue for many Test Takers, especially in the early phases of their studies. Now that it's 3 months later, and your GMAT is in about 6 weeks, you'll have to be a bit more disciplined about your overall pacing (and how much time you're spending on individual questions).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Dondarrion » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:21 am
I have hit a plateau and I need to shake things up. I am still struggling with DS and CR and I need to change directions.

I have also accepted that my GMAT in 30 days will probably not be my final attempt. I am still going to take it.

I enrolled in EMPOWERgmat last night and I'm going to be watching all the videos on my weak areas.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:56 am
If you want some fresh material to attack during this shakeup, feel free to hit our question bank: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:20 am
Hi Dondarrion,

It sounds like you're attacking these areas with a pro-active mindset, which is good. It's important to be flexible with your thinking. Part of why you're still having some problems with DS and CR is that you 'see' these questions a certain way - you need to adapt that mindset and learn to see those questions (and respond to them) differently. Thankfully, most DS and CR questions can be beaten with a bit of note-taking and a step-by-step process.

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:49 pm
Yes: you should plan on taking the test 2 - 4 times, ideally 2- 3 times.

But taking it once is rare.

Practice with an eye to understanding what isn't working, then shift that.
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

by Dondarrion » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:43 pm
7 days away from my first official GMAT! I scored a 650 on GMAT Prep Exam 1. I opted to save GMAT Prep Exam 2, 3, and 4 for practice before my second GMAT in January.

Doing a blind review of the questions I missed, I could've picked up 10 in Quant and 7 in Verbal. I missed a lot of DS questions because I didn't make key inferences. About 4 questions were just straight up math rules that I goofed.

I missed 6 SC questions that were all S/V agreement parallelism combinations - reviewing and studying these rules.

I got 3 very difficult CR questions that I narrowed down to 2 answers and had to guess because of time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:21 pm
Hi Dondarrion,

As you score at higher and higher levels, the GMAT becomes more 'sensitive' to silly/little mistakes, so you have to do your best to keep those mistakes from happening. By your own admission, there are LOTS of questions that you could/should have gotten correct on this CAT, but didn't. What COULD you have done differently to get those questions correct (hint: in many cases, the answer is 'take more/better notes')? With a week to go, you can 'fix' this issue and potentially score 700+ right now, but you have to proactively make these changes happen.

Rich