• Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider

2016 OG SC 95

This topic has 2 expert replies and 1 member reply
Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
02 Mar 2016
Posted:
154 messages
Thanked:
2 times

2016 OG SC 95

Post Tue May 24, 2016 4:59 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Recently physicians have determined that stomach ulcers are not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but a bacterium that dwells in the mucous lining of the stomach.

      (A) not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but

      (B) not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but are by

      (C) caused not by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but by

      (D) caused not by stress, alcohol, and rich foods, but

      (E) caused not by stress, alcohol, and rich foods, but are by
    My question is about and/or. The OG said "and identifies the combination of these three factors as a suggested cause of stomach ulcers, whereas or offers three individuals possibilities." Can someone explain this function? I think and should be replaced of or in negative sentence.
    Thanks in advance!

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Post Tue May 24, 2016 7:49 am
    Crystal W wrote:
    Recently physicians have determined that stomach ulcers are not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but a bacterium that dwells in the mucous lining of the stomach.

      (A) not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but

      (B) not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but are by

      (C) caused not by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but by

      (D) caused not by stress, alcohol, and rich foods, but

      (E) caused not by stress, alcohol, and rich foods, but are by
    My question is about and/or. The OG said "and identifies the combination of these three factors as a suggested cause of stomach ulcers, whereas or offers three individuals possibilities." Can someone explain this function? I think and should be replaced of or in negative sentence.
    Thanks in advance!
    In the idiom not X but Y, X and Y must be PARALLEL FORMS.

    A: not caused...but a bacterium
    Here, caused (participle) and a bacterium (noun) are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate A.

    B: not caused...but are
    Here, caused (participle) and are (verb) are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate B.

    D: not by...but a bacterium
    Here, by (preposition) and a bacterium (noun) are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate D.

    E: not by...but are
    Here, by (preposition) and are (verb) are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate E.

    The correct answer is C.

    D and E: Ulcers are caused not by stress, alcohol and rich foods.
    Here, the usage of and implies the following:
    Stress, alcohol and rich foods do not work together AS A GROUP to cause ulcers.
    However:
    It is possible that stress ON ITS OWN causes ulcers.
    It is possible that alcohol ON ITS OWN causes ulcers.
    It is possible that rich foods ON THEIR OWN cause ulcers.
    Not the intended intended meaning.
    Eliminate D and E.

    The intended meaning is conveyed by the OA:
    Ulcers are caused not by stress, alcohol or rich foods.
    Here, the usage of or implies the following:
    Stress does not cause ulcers.
    Alcohol does not cause ulcers.
    Rich foods do not cause ulcers.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    02 Mar 2016
    Posted:
    154 messages
    Thanked:
    2 times
    Post Wed May 25, 2016 6:45 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    Crystal W wrote:
    Recently physicians have determined that stomach ulcers are not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but a bacterium that dwells in the mucous lining of the stomach.

      (A) not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but

      (B) not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but are by

      (C) caused not by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but by

      (D) caused not by stress, alcohol, and rich foods, but

      (E) caused not by stress, alcohol, and rich foods, but are by
    My question is about and/or. The OG said "and identifies the combination of these three factors as a suggested cause of stomach ulcers, whereas or offers three individuals possibilities." Can someone explain this function? I think and should be replaced of or in negative sentence.
    Thanks in advance!
    In the idiom not X but Y, X and Y must be PARALLEL FORMS.

    A: not caused...but a bacterium
    Here, caused (participle) and a bacterium (noun) are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate A.

    B: not caused...but are
    Here, caused (participle) and are (verb) are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate B.

    D: not by...but a bacterium
    Here, by (preposition) and a bacterium (noun) are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate D.

    E: not by...but are
    Here, by (preposition) and are (verb) are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate E.

    The correct answer is C.

    D and E: Ulcers are caused not by stress, alcohol and rich foods.
    Here, the usage of and implies the following:
    Stress, alcohol and rich foods do not work together AS A GROUP to cause ulcers.
    However:
    It is possible that stress ON ITS OWN causes ulcers.
    It is possible that alcohol ON ITS OWN causes ulcers.
    It is possible that rich foods ON THEIR OWN cause ulcers.
    Not the intended intended meaning.
    Eliminate D and E.

    The intended meaning is conveyed by the OA:
    Ulcers are caused not by stress, alcohol or rich foods.
    Here, the usage of or implies the following:
    Stress does not cause ulcers.
    Alcohol does not cause ulcers.
    Rich foods do not cause ulcers.
    Thank you but I am still a little confused. Do you mean "or" means combination in the negative sentence? Also, According to the common sence, I believe the cause should be one of three not the combination.

    Post Mon May 30, 2016 3:55 am
    Crystal W wrote:
    Thank you but I am still a little confused. Do you mean "or" means combination in the negative sentence? Also, According to the common sence, I believe the cause should be one of three not the combination.
    To convey not x and not y, we say the following:
    not x OR y.
    The following is INCORRECT:
    not x AND y.

    The SC above intends to convey the following meaning:
    Ulcers are not caused by stress, ulcers are not caused by alcohol, AND ulcers are not caused by rich foods.
    To convey this meaning, we say the following:
    Ulcers are not caused by stress, alcohol OR rich foods.
    The following is INCORRECT:
    Ulcers are not caused by stress, alcohol AND rich foods.
    Eliminate D and E.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 Vincen 180 topics
    2 lheiannie07 61 topics
    3 Roland2rule 54 topics
    4 ardz24 44 topics
    5 VJesus12 14 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    155 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    105 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    101 posts
    4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

    Manhattan Review

    82 posts
    5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

    Veritas Prep

    80 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts