• Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors

2016 OG SC 131 such like and such as

This topic has 4 member replies
Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
02 Mar 2016
Posted:
154 messages
Thanked:
2 times

2016 OG SC 131 such like and such as

Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:54 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating mosquitoes with pesticides.

    A.like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating
    B.like malaria and dengue have focused either on vaccinating of humans or on the extermination of
    C.as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or on exterminating
    D.as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating of humans or on extermination of
    E.as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or exterminating
    I have a question about such like. Is that all use of such like wrong? Or just such like can't be used to indicate two examples of a larger category?
    Thanks in advance!

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Marty Murray Legendary Member
    Joined
    03 Feb 2014
    Posted:
    2037 messages
    Followed by:
    129 members
    Thanked:
    948 times
    GMAT Score:
    800
    Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:14 pm
    Crystal W wrote:
    I have a question about such like. Is that all use of such like wrong? Or just such like can't be used to indicate two examples of a larger category?
    While there are ways in which the word like could correctly directly follow such in a sentence, the expression such like itself is never correct.

    Here is a correct example. In this example, like happens to follow such, but the expression such like is not used. The words such and like just happen to be next to each other.

    Jim was a signed up runner, and as such, like the others who had signed up, Jim was supposed to receive a race t-shirt.

    Here is an example of a sentence that is not correct because it includes the expression such like.

    Many types of fruit, such like oranges, have thick skins.

    Here is the correct version.

    Many types of fruit, such as oranges, have thick skins.

    _________________
    Marty Murray
    GMAT Coach
    m.w.murray@hotmail.com
    http://infinitemindprep.com/
    In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide



    Last edited by Marty Murray on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

    Thanked by: Crystal W
    Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    02 Mar 2016
    Posted:
    154 messages
    Thanked:
    2 times
    Post Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:29 pm
    Marty Murray wrote:
    Crystal W wrote:
    I have a question about such like. Is that all use of such like wrong? Or just such like can't be used to indicate two examples of a larger category?
    While there are ways in which the word like could correctly directly follow such in a sentence, the expression such like itself is never correct.

    Here is a correct example. In this example, like happens to follow such, but the expression such like is not used. The words such and like just happen to be next to each other.

    Jim had officially signed up to run in the race, and as such, like the others who had signed up, Jim was supposed to receive a race t-shirt.

    Here is an example of a sentence that is not correct because it includes the expression such like.

    Many types of fruit, such like oranges, have thick skins.

    Here is the correct version.

    Many types of fruit, such as oranges, have thick skins.
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I have quick question. What the meaning of as such in you first example?
    Thanks in advance!

    Marty Murray Legendary Member
    Joined
    03 Feb 2014
    Posted:
    2037 messages
    Followed by:
    129 members
    Thanked:
    948 times
    GMAT Score:
    800
    Post Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:30 pm
    Crystal W wrote:
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I have quick question. What the meaning of as such in you first example?
    The expression, as such, means something along the lines of in that capacity. So in that capacity would, basically, work in the example. I say "basically", because in clarifying how to explain this to you, I found that to a degree I had misused as such. People often use as such as a substitute for accordingly, but now I am seeing that doing that is not technically correct. So I have slightly changed the example.

    Jim was a signed up runner, and in that capacity, like the others who had signed up, Jim was supposed to receive a race t-shirt.

    Also, as long as we are talking about the word such, there is another use of it, in the expression such that. Here's an example.

    The complexity of this example is such that understanding the example is challenging.

    What such that means is something along the lines of of such a nature that, characterized by or having the attribute.

    You might see such that on the GMAT in quant.

    Set S is a set of all the integers X such that X/3 is an even integer.

    Set S is a set of all the integers X having the attribute that X/3 is an even integer.

    _________________
    Marty Murray
    GMAT Coach
    m.w.murray@hotmail.com
    http://infinitemindprep.com/
    In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

    Thanked by: Crystal W
    Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    02 Mar 2016
    Posted:
    154 messages
    Thanked:
    2 times
    Post Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:22 pm
    Marty Murray wrote:
    Crystal W wrote:
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I have quick question. What the meaning of as such in you first example?
    The expression, as such, means something along the lines of in that capacity. So in that capacity would, basically, work in the example. I say "basically", because in clarifying how to explain this to you, I found that to a degree I had misused as such. People often use as such as a substitute for accordingly, but now I am seeing that doing that is not technically correct. So I have slightly changed the example.

    Jim was a signed up runner, and in that capacity, like the others who had signed up, Jim was supposed to receive a race t-shirt.

    Also, as long as we are talking about the word such, there is another use of it, in the expression such that. Here's an example.

    The complexity of this example is such that understanding the example is challenging.

    What such that means is something along the lines of of such a nature that, characterized by or having the attribute.

    You might see such that on the GMAT in quant.

    Set S is a set of all the integers X such that X/3 is an even integer.

    Set S is a set of all the integers X having the attribute that X/3 is an even integer.
    Thank you very much!

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 Vincen 180 topics
    2 lheiannie07 65 topics
    3 Roland2rule 49 topics
    4 ardz24 44 topics
    5 LUANDATO 23 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    147 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    103 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    102 posts
    4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

    The Economist GMAT Tutor

    94 posts
    5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

    Veritas Prep

    76 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts