2 questions dealing with IS vs. ARE!! please help!!!!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Im a little confused when the term "one of" is thrown into the sentence. On 2 seperate questions, there are 2 diff answers, one uses "are while the other uses "is"...can someone help with a definite way to determine when to use are vs. is when dealing with this type of question..thanks!

Q#1) They use "is"
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were
B. is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was
C. is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were
D. are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was
E. are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were

#2 Official answer is C..."are"

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(E) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:47 pm
The general rule of thumb is as follows:

Subject = one or none {of the plural noun} is ALWAYS SINGULAR
Reason = The subject is a single entity so it is singular.

For example:
Only one of the children plays in the park.

Here the author is telling about 1 child out of the many children.
So this is why in Q#1 below in your post, "not one" is singular. Essentially the subject is: Not one potential investor of the many potential investors.

Now lets discuss the expression - One of the plural noun that clause
In this case also same rule applies. You just need to apply it carefully.

For example:
One of the children who play in the park is responsible for bringing the ball.
Now lets simplify this sentence into its clauses:
1: One of the children is responsible for bringing the ball
2: who play in the park

In Clause 1, one of the children is singular and hence singular verb "is"
In Clause 2, the subject "who" refers to "children" which is plural and hence plural verb "play"

Applying this concept to Q#2 in your post:

...Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront...
Simplifying into clauses:

1: ...Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes
2: that are looking to its waterfront...

In Clause 1, subject-verb pair is straightforward - Cleveland is
In Clause 2, subject "that" refers to plural "communities" and hence is plural.

I hope this clarifies your doubts.

For e-GMAT users, the concept of one of the plural nouns is discussed in the concept titled "Subject-Verb - Always Singular"
Regards,

Payal Tandon

by mustbeatgmat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:17 pm
thanks for the clarity, it helped!!

by 7806 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:54 am
hi payal,
your explanation is nice...and it is clear to me, but i have a question.
pl explain the modified sentence #2 as #2a and #2b. pl explain (s-v i.e is /are) with this sentence. which is/are correct(s).

#2a)
Cleveland is the only one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is/are looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

#2b)
Cleveland is the one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is/are looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

original sentence #2.
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is the one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(E) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting

pl explain payal/experts. thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:57 am
Great question 7806.

Your question can be answered by understanding the context of the sentence. In both cases, it is clear that Cleveland is THE only community that is doing the thing. So singular verb will be used.

Ron has explained this concept very well in his posts in the thread below.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/one-of-the-t40356.html
I am sure you will understand this concept after you review the above post. However, if you have any doubts, please feel free to write back.

Thanks,

Payal

by 7806 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:12 am
thanks payal,
i was just reviewing this Q and ron explanation in your given post.

so i think-

#2a) is singular. i.e cleveland is the only one ...... that is....

Cleveland is the only one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

#2b) plural. ie. cleveland is the one...... that are.....

Cleveland is the one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that iare looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(i realize that #2b is nothing but actually Q2.)

so, finally i got it- Ron's explanation.

## only One of the Xs <singular>
## "THE only one of the X's that/who...", then it should be SINGULAR.

## "only one of the X's that/who...", then it should be PLURAL.

AND;

if you have just ONE OF THE + PLURAL NOUN + WHO/THAT + ______, THEN "____" MUST be a PLURAL VERB.
zero exceptions.

example:
that's one of the birds that fly over my house at night.

( above ron's explanation is from link: https://www.beatthegmat.com/one-of-the-t40356.html)