1000 SC Q#73

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

1000 SC Q#73

by zealous » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 pm
73. Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state's economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted
OA is C

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by zealous » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:37 am
people please help me :cry:

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Alchemist14 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:34 pm
zealous wrote:73. Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state's economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted
OA is C
Experts please help.

Here is my understanding,
1. Alaska is singular. So we need singular pronoun.B and E are out.

2.No comma + VerbEB Modifier modifies the nearest noun, 'Intended' is modifying 'special fund', But a fund cant have intentions right? A state can have intentions. In A, a adverbial modifier is used to modify the entire clause and the subject 'Alaska'.

So then why is C correct and A is wrong?

Could you please let me know where I am going wrong on this one.

Thanks,
Al