1 year programs. What're the pitfalls?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

1 year programs. What're the pitfalls?

by kackerarnav » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:12 am
Hi guys,

I'm looking to apply to MBA programs, with a slight tilt towards Finance.

I have an engineering bachelor's degree and want to make a career transition.

I was wondering whether a 1 year MBA program might have the flipside of being too short for companies to consider the training sufficient to enable a career transition.

Is this concern credible? Could you share your thoughts and experience on this front?

Thanks!

Arnav

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by InterviewBay2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:24 pm
- The one-year, full-time MBA program is a fast-paced, highly specialized course of study. It's designed to help ambitious professionals enhance their management potential with an employer or increase their success in the job market. With less core coursework than typically required by two-year programs, this accelerated MBA offers classes that will complement your experience in the workplace. It has certain advantages: Although you won't participate in an internship, you'll have ample opportunities to build a network in your profession and industry, as well as get interviews with visiting recruiters. An employer may require you to complete a full-time MBA in order to move into leadership roles. If you're qualified for management, your employer may help finance your training, with a provision that you commit to several years of service upon graduation. Also associated are disadvantages: Some employers may not recognize the one-year program as a comprehensive business management degree. And as you probably won't have time to undertake an internship, you won't enjoy the broad advantages that students gain from working with prospective employers, integrating skills, and building life-long career networks. Because it's a full-time, accelerated program, you most likely won't be able to work and earn income for that year. However, if you're financing your own education, you'll generally pay less for a one-year program than the two-year degree. Loans, scholarships, and grants are generally available. If you're motivated to study and committed to success, a one-year, full-time MBA could be right for you.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:26 pm
I fully agree with InterviewBay2. A 1-year MBA won't reflect badly at all - as mentioned, it's just an accelerated program so you're schedule will be a little more packed and the year will be very fast paced. But you will cover the same types of courses/curriculum, have the same career services/recruitment opportunities, and still have an amazing experience regardless!

The only thing I wanted to add is generally, yes you may not be able to take advantage of an internship which is extremely valuable for career switchers but this may not be true for all schools. For example, INSEAD's 1 year program (January start date) will give you an internship opportunity but if you start in Sept., then there is no internship.

Hope that helps

Melissa
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com