THAT OF construction rule..

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

THAT OF construction rule..

by sumanr84 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:33 pm
Starting a new thread to understand concept behind 'THAT OF': https://www.beatthegmat.com/widespread-b ... tml#272997

lunarpower wrote:
the biggest problem with (c) is "that of", which is not actually parallel to anything at all.

if you write "that of their parents and grandparents", then this MUST be parallel to one of the following two types of constructions:
* another OF construction (the commitment of young people)
* a POSSESSIVE construction (young people's commitment)

since neither of these constructions appears in the first part of the sentence, you can't use "that of" in the second part.
I have a doubt applying above rule to below question(OG12, Q-43)

Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.
Correct answer says:
E. comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom

I am not posting all other options as the answer E is quite obvious than rest of the choices. My doubt is on the application of this rule to this new problem.

Here, we don't have either 'another OF construction' or 'a POSSESSIVE construction'. How do we justify "THAT OF" here. I think we need to add some more rules now to this list. Ron - please help.
I am on a break !!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:06 am
sumanr84 wrote:Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only 4 million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

A. about the same as Great Britain but only 4 million in population, where many
B. of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only 4 million, and many
C. that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only 4 million people, many of them
D. comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only 4 million in population, and many
E. comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only 4 million people, many of whom .
I received a PM asking me to comment.

The sentence above is making a comparison. When a SC makes a comparison, we have to make sure that the sentence is comparing the right two things. In other words, the SC must compare apples to apples.

A and B incorrectly compare the land area to Great Britain. Eliminate A and B. The SC must compare apples to apples: it must compare either the two countries themselves (Laos and Britain) or the land area of one country to the land area of the other country.

D incorrectly compares land area to the size. Eliminate D.

C states that Laos has a land area...but many of them are members, incorrectly drawing a contrast between Laos (the country) and many (the people).

The correct answer is E.

E compares apples to apples:

Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain.

In the sentence above, the pronoun that is standing in for the noun land area. Thus, the sentence is comparing land area to land area (apples to apples). The preposition of is needed because, idiomatically, it is correct to discuss the land area of a country.

When you see the construction that of, ask yourself the following questions:

What noun is the pronoun that standing in for?
Is the sentence comparing apples to apples?
Is of the correct preposition?

These should be your primary considerations. Hope this helps!
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:24 am
While Mitch has addressed the comparison issue, another thing you can use to quickly eliminate few wrong answer choices is to break down the structure of this sentence to barebones. The structure clearly is: Laos has X but Y.

A would read: Laos has only 4 million in population - This is clearly not correct. Also, many are members does not clarify many of what.

B reads: ...in Laos there is a population of only 4 million, and many are members of hill tribes - Because of and (coordinating conjunction), this seems to suggest that there is no connection between the 'population' and 'members of hill tribes', while in actuality, 'members of hill tribes' are from the population (E establishes this connection by using many of whom).

C reads: in Laos with a population of only 4 million people - Seems to suggest that there might be 'many' Laos but we are talking about the Laos that has a population of 4 million

D reads: same issue as B. Also, again, many are members does not clarify many of what.

E reads: Laos has a population of only 4 million people - This is correct construction
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Onell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:59 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
sumanr84 wrote:Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only 4 million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

B. of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only 4 million, and many
C. that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only 4 million people, many of them
D. comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only 4 million in population, and many
E. comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only 4 million people, many of whom .

The sentence above is making a comparison. When a SC makes a comparison, we have to make sure that the sentence is comparing the right two things. In other words, the SC must compare apples to apples.

A and B incorrectly compare the land area to Great Britain. Eliminate A and B. The SC must compare apples to apples: it must compare either the two countries themselves (Laos and Britain) or the land area of one country to the land area of the other country.

C states that Laos has a land area...but many of them are members, incorrectly drawing a contrast between Laos (the country) and many (the people).

The correct answer is E.

In the sentence above, the pronoun that is standing in for the noun land area. Thus, the sentence is comparing land area to land area (apples to apples). The preposition of is needed because, idiomatically, it is correct to discuss the land area of a country.

Thanks a lot for your reply..I am sort of confused now ... Ron @https://www.beatthegmat.com/widespread-b ... 40458.html said that

if you write "that of ", then this MUST be parallel to one of the following two types of constructions:
* another OF construction
* a POSSESSIVE construction

and in option E I see neither of these... So can you please clarify?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:58 am
Onell wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is E.

Thanks a lot for your reply..I am sort of confused now ... Ron @https://www.beatthegmat.com/widespread-b ... 40458.html said that

if you write "that of ", then this MUST be parallel to one of the following two types of constructions:
* another OF construction
* a POSSESSIVE construction

and in option E I see neither of these... So can you please clarify?
What I see the construction that of, I ask myself the questions outlined in my post above. That being said, answer choice E offers the possessive construction Laos has a land area: in other words, Laos possesses a land area.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:16 am
Hi GMATGuruNY,
Few quick questions on this SC -

1. Why EXACTLY the COMPARISON part in C and D is wrong ? Why can't we consider that here the SIZE means LAND AREA itself i.e. SIZE of Great Britain = LAND AREA of Great Britain ?

2. I think, this could be another potential reason to eliminate C : but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them are members of hill tribes -- INCORRECT usage of WITH-Modifier because here WITH seems to modify the following be-Verb.

Right ?

3. In OA, but [HAS] a population of only four million people, many of whom are members of hill tribes -- HAS seems to be dropped from the portion following BUT to make the Sentence more concise.

Am I correct ?
Last edited by RBBmba@2014 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.