MGMAT test

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

MGMAT test

by thephoenix » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:46 am
While the stock market was bouncing back from its 2002 low, U.S. families are still reeling from the recent recession; between 2001 to 2004, typical household savings plummeted nearly 25% and the median household debt rose by a third.

a) was bouncing back from its 2002 low, U.S. families are still reeling from the recent recession; between

b) bounced back from its 2002 low, U.S. families are still reeling from the recent recession, from

c) has bounced back from its 2002 low, U.S. families are still reeling from the recent recession; between

d) has bounced back from its 2002 low, U.S. families are still reeling from the recent recession; from

e) bounced back from its 2002 low, U.S. families are still reeling from the recent recession; from

help me to understand verb sequencing

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 am
I missed this one too originally. You can begin by eliminating A and C right off the bat, because you can't use "between" to compare more than two things. In this case more than two years are under consideration.

With B D and E. The issue is in which tense sequence to choose. B is wrong because it uses a simple comma to sepearate an independent clause. You need a semi colon, eliminate B

I think the answer is D. Since in both answer choices the verb tense associated with U.S. families is the present continuous tense, you have to use a form of the present tense to agree with the present continous tense. Therefore, only choice D does this by its use of the present perfect. Also, in the context of the sentence, the condition of the market bouncing back from its low is still true. Therefore, we prefer the present perfect, if the condition is still in effect. Choose D.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:45 am
Between should use AND to connect two things ( 2001 and 2004 )
Between X and Y - correct Idiom

The whole sentence shall be in present tense, so taking that in mind " has bounced back....." (present prefect) is right.

So, D is correct.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:04 am
oa is D

OE is

In the original sentence, "While the stock market was bouncing back" implies that something else was taking place simultaneously in the past, but the rest of the sentence is in present tense ("U.S. families are still reeling"). In addition, the phrasing "between 2001 to 2004" is incorrect; the correct idiom is either "between X and Y" or "from X to Y" (and, in this case, we must use "from X to Y" since only the first word is underlined).

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) "While the stock market bounced back" implies that the next action took place simultaneously in the past, but the next verb ("are still reeling") is in the present tense. In addition, this is a run-on sentence; the comma after the word "recession" should be a semi-colon.

(C) This sentence incorrectly uses "between X to Y." The correct idiom must be "from X to Y."

(D) CORRECT. This choice remedies the mis-matched tenses by pairing the present perfect "has bounced back," which indicates an action began in the past and has continued into the present, with the present tense "are still reeling." In addition, it uses the correct idiom ("from X to Y").

(E) "While the stock market bounced back" implies that the next action took place simultaneously in the past, but the next verb ("are still reeling") is in the present tense.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 pm
Yes i'd go with D too :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:30 pm
i have two issues with idioms...

when you ask me... the formula for them... i can recite them...

when reading a sentence, I haven't gotten to the point yet where I read between and it registers as an IDIOM... i just think "oh.. between" hahaa
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants