Gerund Vs Present Participle Vs Ing form OG 12 Q47

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Friends,

I have been having major difficulties in understanding the difference betweena Gerund a Particple and any other form of ing verb or modifier.

My understanding is when an ing form of verb is used as a noun it is a Gerund eg. my favourite hobby is reading, here reading is a noun

I also understand present particple will always come with a to be verb performing an action.
Eg. my daughter is reading, here the action reading combined with the to be verb "is" makes it present particple.
I finally understood this and started looking at OG 12 Q 47

Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer, bringing to 34 the number of wild birds successfully raised since transplants from Norway began in 1975.
(A) bringing
(B) and brings
(C) and it brings
(D) and it brought
(E) and brought

OA is A.

Explanation says that Bringing is Past Participle, everything I have learned or supposedly learnt is thrown out of the window because I do not see any to be verb before bringing.

Can someone be kind enough to explain me the difference between different forms of ing's

Everytime I see a question with any verb+ing I just panic and i really need a tonic on ing, something that I can shove down my throat.

Please help!!!

GMAT Score:700

by capnx » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:36 pm
Stacy made a very good post here, it really helps:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ing-modifier ... 38943.html

Expln

by enniguy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:36 am
Firstly I think you meant "Present" Participle in your post. Personally, I differentiate between the two by looking specifically out for Subject/ Object forms. If an ing form is not that, then I will check if it's acting like a verb. If so, then it is a Pr. Participle.

Also, I dont think ing form of the verb is always followed by "be" form. I recommend Manhattan GMAT SC Guide specifically for this topic.

by vineetbatra » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:44 am
This is from MGMAT CAT, in this A is wrong and explanations says that Having been won modifies Classical guitar, however ing modifiers modifies the entire clause.

Any thoughts

Classical guitar was neither prestigious nor was often played in concert halls until it was revived by Andres Segovia in the mid-twentieth century, having been won over by the instrument's sound despite its relative obscurity.

a. Classical guitar was neither prestigious nor was often played in concert halls until it was revived by Andres Segovia in the mid-twentieth century, having been won over by the instrument's sound despite its relative obscurity.

b. Classical guitar was neither prestigious nor played often in concert halls until it was revived by Andres Segovia in the mid-twentieth century, having been won over by the instrument's sound despite its relative obscurity.

c. Classical guitar was not prestigious and was not often played in concert halls until Andres Segovia revived it in the mid-twentieth century, after he was won over by the sound despite the instrument's relative obscurity.

d. Classical guitar did not have prestige nor was it performed often in concert halls until its revival by Andres Segovia, who in the mid-twentieth century was won over by the instrument's sound despite its relative obscurity.
e. Classical guitar was neither prestigious nor was often played in concert halls until Andres Segovia revived it in the mid-twentieth century, when he was won over by the sound of the relatively obscure instrument