00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Each of three charities in Novel Grove Estates has 8 persons serving on its board of directors. If exactly 4 persons serve on 3 boards each and each pair of charities has 5 persons in common on their boards of directors, then how many distinct persons serve on one or more boards of directors?

A. 8
B. 13
C. 16
D. 24
E. 27

The OA is B.

Please, can someone assist me with this PS question? I'm not sure but I think that I can use the Venn Diagram to solve it. Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:38 pm
Hi All,

We're told that each of three charities in Novel Grove Estates has 8 persons serving on its board of directors and EXACTLY 4 persons serve on 3 boards each and each pair of charities has 5 persons in common on their boards of directors. We're asked for the number of distinct persons that serve on one or more boards of directors. You will likely find it easiest to use a few drawings and some 'brute force' work to help you to answer this question.

To start, let's focus on the 4 people who are on ALL 3 boards. We'll call those people A, B, C and D...

Charity 1: ABCD _ _ _ _
Charity 2: ABCD _ _ _ _
Charity 3: ABCD _ _ _ _

Next, we need each PAIR of charities to have 5 people in common (the first 4 plus one more); that 5th person CAN'T be on ALL 3 charities though, so we'll need a few additional people to make that happen:

Charity 1: ABCD E F _ _
Charity 2: ABCD E G _ _
Charity 3: ABCD F G _ _

The last two people on each charity have to be 'unique' (meaning that they each appear on ONLY that one charity....

Charity 1: ABCD E F M N
Charity 2: ABCD E G P Q
Charity 3: ABCD F G R S

Total people: ABCDE FGMNP QRS = 13 people

Final Answer: B

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Shahrukh@mbabreakspace » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:41 am
There are three types of directors: In One charity, In two Charity and In 3 charity
There are 4 directors in the 3 charities
And 3 directors in 2 charities(Because it says that 5 are common between each pair out of these 4 are in all three but 1 is unique to that pair and there are 3 pairs possible)
So, director in 1 charity are 3*(8-4-2)=6
So, total= 6+3+4= 13

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:42 pm
BTGmoderatorLU wrote:Each of three charities in Novel Grove Estates has 8 persons serving on its board of directors. If exactly 4 persons serve on 3 boards each and each pair of charities has 5 persons in common on their boards of directors, then how many distinct persons serve on one or more boards of directors?

A. 8
B. 13
C. 16
D. 24
E. 27
This problem involves 3 overlapping sets: Charity A, Charity B, and Charity C.
To organize the data, use a Venn Diagram:

Start in the CENTER and work outwards.

Exactly 4 persons serve on 3 boards each.
Inserting 4 people into the center of the diagram, we get:

Each pair of charities has 5 persons in common.
Thus -- in addition to the 4 people that all 3 charities have in common -- each pair must have 1 additional person in common:

Since each charity must have a total of 8 people, we get:

How many distinct persons serve on one or more boards of directors?
Adding together the values in the Venn Diagram, we get:
2+1+2+1+4+1+2 = 13.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:37 pm
BTGmoderatorLU wrote:Each of three charities in Novel Grove Estates has 8 persons serving on its board of directors. If exactly 4 persons serve on 3 boards each and each pair of charities has 5 persons in common on their boards of directors, then how many distinct persons serve on one or more boards of directors?

A. 8
B. 13
C. 16
D. 24
E. 27

We can use the formula:

n(At least one set) = n(A) + n(B) + n(C) - n(A and B) - n(B and C) - n(C and A) + n(A and B and C)

Thus, we have:

n(At least one set) = 8 + 8 + 8 - 5 - 5 - 5 + 4 = 24 - 15 + 4 = 13

Answer: B

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage