Don't try to "wing it"

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Don't try to "wing it"

by MsSuzieQ2010 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:39 am
I am getting A's in an online Master's of Accounting program. I usually do well on tests. On the ASVAP (acceptance into the Military) I placed in the 99th percentile. On my GED in 1997 I received a perfect score after dropping out of high school 2 years earlier. (I'm not a loser, it was a KKK related event.) My ultimate goal is to pass the CPA exam.
I believe it was Oprah who said, "Success is when opportunity meets preparation." The GMAT is a perfect example of this. My advise is, "Do not believe one single word about the exam on mba.com, especially the part about an accumulation of life's experiences."
This test is a money trap. This website beatthegmat.com is missionary service, to say the least. I could see the GMAT's mission statement being true if it was soliciting High School Honor Students or mainstream Associate's degree students seeking a Bachelors degree because it is at that point when arthimetic, statistics, english comp, and psychology are applicable to life. However, if you get a Bachelor's Degree then, wait a few years for your career to unfold. (The intelligent thing to do America where experience is equivalent to education or a combination of both.) This test is a measure of exactly what it states it does not measure: initiative, study habits, and character.
Let me save someone... Anyone... from the humiliation of thinking being clever, intelligent, having an employment history of making more money than 95% of society, and 72 hours of craming from the fallacy; "just wing it."

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:18 pm
Obviously I don't know you, but it sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder.
Yep.

by MsSuzieQ2010 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:12 pm
You are absolutely correct! I do have a chip on my shoulder. I received my Bachelors degree from University of Phoenix where Macroeconomics, College Algebra, and Calculus are not required to attain a Business degree. I believe that had I taken those courses and also, not been forced to do Statistics in a 5 week accelerated format (without the use of excel) I would have a "fresher" knowledge base for the GMAT. Even though I am concurrently taking Master's level Intermediate Accounting II in an accelerated form, I believed my "wing it" theory would at least get me the total GMAT score of 400. I would like to "RIGHT MY WRONGS" (UOP) by getting accepted into Southeast Missouri State University's MBA program. My apologies for my "tone."
I left the GMAT testing site today with no forewarning. How do you know something without experiencing it?
Everyone ponders, "What is my purpose in life?" Your purpose and my purpose in life is to benefit others. My reason for this blog. I pass tests without studying: Life Insurance, Property & Casualty Insurance, and many more. This is a test that can not be passed based on life experience.
You have obviously been privy to this beatthegmat.com site which is an excellent opportunity to assess the challenge that lies ahead. Should "Bob" have to search the internet to realize he's going to have to reminisce about High School Geometry to pass the GMAT? What if "Sarah's" high school algebra teacher taught with factor trees and she's never seen a ! before?
My brief bio should be a clue that I have an "Auditors" perspective.
My goal is to help others.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:13 pm
I am lost...is this a vent thread or is there something more?
Yep.

by MsSuzieQ2010 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:19 am
Everyone is told to study. Many people do not need to study. If you are one of the people who do not study. The GMAT is a test you REALLY should study.

It probably is venting because most people probably learned a long time ago to study if you want to pass.

I'm just letting the small minority of naturally successful winners (the people who don't listen to other peoples advise because they are smarter) know that this test is "convoluted." However, if someone has found this website it's safe to say they have realized that.

The GMAT is a sadistic way to measure one's ability to thrive in a Management program. It's all about memorizing rules that are not incorporated into everyday life. I could write my thesis on all of the segments of society it pushes out. Namely, those who received a Bachelors in Arts. Secondly, those who are old. Why do only for-profit schools agree?

Passing this test is a difference of $23,000 in tuition for me so, call it whatever you want. I call it advice.

by Joanie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 am
This is my first time using beatthegmat. I am 44 years old and have studied for weeks to pass the Virginia P&C and Life, Health & Annuity Exams to obtain my licenses for a job that I have already landed. I faile the LH&A three time. My last score was a 69. I missed passing by one point. I had to wait 30 days to retake it. I failed the P&C twice; first score was a 46, second score was a 58. I used Financial Academy as my class and resource post study tools. I have foud the text book and the classes were scattered (not in a revelent order)

Your quote above, I pass tests without studying: Life Insurance, Property & Casualty Insurance, and many more. This is a test that can not be passed based on life experience. I would love to have your gift and pass without studying. I have more than sufficiant life expierences and still failed.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A FREE WEBSITE WHERE I CAN TAKED MULTILE PRE-LICENSING EXAMS AND HAVE THE CORRECT ANSWERS DISPLAYED AFTER EACH QUESTION? I NEED TO PASS BOTH OF THESE EXAMS BY THE END OF THIS WEEK.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by Wayward-Bound » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:24 pm
I have to argue with you here. You are completely missing the point of the GMAT. The GMAT is NOT about memorization but rather a sound logical approach. These questions aren't hard, they just require you to stop and look at what is really being asked. Nearly every quant question can be answered in under 30 seconds should you know a trick that relates to those topics. If you were lead to believe that you did not need to study for the GMAT, well, I would question why you felt that way and it would be clear you had not taken a GMATPrep exam as provided by GMAC. This test is meant to show business schools that you can handle the program. Does that mean you will need to know the volume formula for a cone during your MBA? Absolutely not, but it shows the admission committee you took the exam serious, knew how to prepare, cut your losses on questions you couldn't get right (timing issue), and found a logical approach to solve the various question formats.

If you had a bad experience, come up with a study strategy and prepare like the rest of the majority that scores well. You will find a VERY small group who may of scored even 650+ without preparing significantly for this exam. I personally spent over 200 hours preparing for my test and was content with my score of 710. Your comments regarding Univ. of Phoenix... those are very valid, I concur, but you're not talking about a real challenging program here. I took calculus I and II during my undergrad, granted that was over 5 years ago but guess what, I still had to prepare for quant as if I hadn't. I wish you the best of luck on your retake should you choose to go that route, if you need study tips there are plenty posted but I would advise you to expect at least 100-200 hours if you want to reach a target score of 650+.

Best of luck

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by XLogic » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:00 pm
The GMAT is a sadistic way to measure one's ability to thrive in a Management program. It's all about memorizing rules that are not incorporated into everyday life. I could write my thesis on all of the segments of society it pushes out. Namely, those who received a Bachelors in Arts. Secondly, those who are old. Why do only for-profit schools agree?
Hope this is not one of those "I don't understand or cannot crack the GMAT so the exam sucks!!" posts. Here's how I feel about standardized tests -- GMAT, LSAT, GRE etc...

These tests are not adequate to measure a person's preparedness for graduate level programs. O wait, I guess that's why the test is not the only criteria used to assess prospective candidates.

And here's something else to think about... A MBA degree is not necessary to thrive in the business world. One can be highly successful without going to business school. In fact some would not have been successful had they not ceased on their opportunity (forgoing law school or business school etc).

So if you have decided that GMAT is not for you, and therefore business school (at least at the top schools) is not for you, then that's great. We'll probably read about some great thing you did without your MBA degree (joke's on us). However, I think others should decide (just like you have) if business school (via GMAT) is the right path for them -- wouldn't you agree?

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but, venting your frustrations in this way is not constructive. Just because you think the GMAT totally sucks, doesn't mean it actually does. Back up your claims with some evidence or preach in a different forum where your audience may be more receptive to your rhetoric.

Good Luck!

PS. BTW, your job is not "to help others" as you say, your job (at least in this post) is to vent!
my post helped --> thank me!
don't thank me --> my post = what the..??

by MsSuzieQ2010 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:59 am
Joanie,

I used a study guide from adbanker.com

I will be praying for you, sweatheart; I'm sorry you are having a difficult time getting your P&C.

What I recommend is detaching yourself from this test... Don't think about how much you need this job... Don't think about the past... Get yourself into a confident state of being so, when it is time to sit for the exam your mind is only on the question before you. Trust that your first answer is the right answer. Remember that there are 2 wrong answers, an answer that's half right, and the right answer. You will choose the correct answer. I believe in you!

I'm scheduling the Financial Accounting portion of the CPA exam this week so, I would appreciate your prayers as well.

You can do it! We can both do it! It's Easy!
(meaning having a confident mindset is easy & that's 99% of the battle)