commutative operation

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

commutative operation

by rahul.s » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:54 pm
Although the first use of a commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements, it had not been formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois.

(A) Although the first use of a commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements, it had not been formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois

(B) Although not formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois, in the book Elements in 300 BC Euclid recorded the first use of a commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized

(C) Although recorded by Euclid in 300 BC in his book Elements, the conceptualization of the first used commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, had not been formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois

(D) The first use of a commutative operation, or calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements, but the commutative property was not formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois

(E) The first use of a commutative operation, or calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, was not formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois, while it was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements

OA: D

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:54 am
Though i chose C in first place but it seems as if c has modifier error...

(C) Although recorded by Euclid in 300 BC in his book Elements, the conceptualization of the first used commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, had not been formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois <- commutative operation was recorded in the book not the conceptualization...

(D) The first use of a commutative operation, or calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements, but the commutative property was not formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois <- Correct...

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:14 am
Although the first use of a commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements, it had not been formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois.

(A) Although the first use of a commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements, it had not been formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois (it cannot refer to elements)

(B) Although not formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois, in the book Elements in 300 BC Euclid recorded the first use of a commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized (what was not formally named until 1814????? definitely not "in the book Elements")

(C) Although recorded by Euclid in 300 BC in his book Elements, the conceptualization of the first used commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, had not been formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois (same error (subject error) as B)

(D) The first use of a commutative operation, or calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements, but the commutative property was not formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois (hold it)

(E) The first use of a commutative operation, or calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, was not formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois, while it was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements ....."it" is the tiniest and the deadliest foe of a GMAT taker

i chose D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:23 am
Can someone explain the use of the infitinitive "to be conceptualized" here? I don't understand that usage, in general I guess.

Legendary Member

by bhumika.k.shah » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:53 am
hey i selected D
i cant believe its the right answer :-D

yipeeeee :)

Legendary Member

by bhumika.k.shah » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:56 am
viidyasagar wrote:"it" is the tiniest and the deadliest foe of a GMAT taker[/color]
i dint know it was the TINIEST and the DEADLIEST FOE ....
thanks! :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:540

by ramsharma » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:42 am
viidyasagar wrote:Although the first use of a commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements, it had not been formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois.

(A) Although the first use of a commutative operation, a calculation in which the order of terms does not matter, to be conceptualized was recorded in 300 BC by Euclid in his book Elements, it had not been formally named until 1814 by Francois Joseph Servois (it cannot refer to elements)

Does"IT" refer to elements??.It is referring to "commutative operation".If you remove the extra part in the sentence within COMMA,it should be grammatically correct.In my opinion choice A is wrong due to tense "had not been" rather than IT.
RAM SHARMA