Arnmore

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

Arnmore

by ketkoag » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:50 am
Physics professors, the Arnmore Laboratories and Arnmore Research Facilities were founded by Leo and Fontove Arnmore in 1989 after ten years of fundraising.

(B) Leo and Fontove Arnmore founded the Arnmore Laboratories and Arnmore Research Facilities in 1989, after ten years of fundraising

(E) Leo and Fontove Arnmore founded after ten years of fundraising the Arnmore Laboratories and Arnmore Research Facilities in 1989

please lemme know what is the difference between B an E.. i think it is a modifier issue but it is not a noun modifier then how it matters here the placement of the phrase " after ten years of fundraising"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by caprion » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:09 am
i think the in B, the professors did not do the fundraising
where as in E, fundraising was done by the professors.

but it confuses me if i think about it :?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: Arnmore

by Vemuri » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:10 am
IMO B. I am not sure I can explain the technicality of what is wrong with E :wink: Lets see what others have to say

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:710

Re: Arnmore

by rahulg83 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:15 am
ketkoag wrote:Physics professors, the Arnmore Laboratories and Arnmore Research Facilities were founded by Leo and Fontove Arnmore in 1989 after ten years of fundraising.

(B) Leo and Fontove Arnmore founded the Arnmore Laboratories and Arnmore Research Facilities in 1989, after ten years of fundraising

(E) Leo and Fontove Arnmore founded after ten years of fundraising the Arnmore Laboratories and Arnmore Research Facilities in 1989

please lemme know what is the difference between B an E.. i think it is a modifier issue but it is not a noun modifier then how it matters here the placement of the phrase " after ten years of fundraising"
IMO B, i think modifier should be as close as to what it modifies
It sounds better than E. Founded after, if placed in between the sentence sounds like the scientists founded labs after 'somebody'(ten years of fundraising :?: )..i am not sure of this logic whether it fits well or not..
pls somebody explain

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by anksgupta » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:40 am
Even I feel it should be 'B'. In E 1989 and 10yrs are too far making the sentence awkward.
Live n Love GMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by yeloaw » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:15 am
If we choose B

Physics professors, Leo and Fontove Arnmore founded the Arnmore Laboratories and Arnmore Research Facilities in 1989, after ten years of fundraising

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the commas denote a non-essential clause?

If it does, then E would be correct even though it sounds passive.