256 _SentenceCorrectionBible_12

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

256 _SentenceCorrectionBible_12

by gmatmachoman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:14 am
Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

(a) Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

(b) Though Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

(c) Saturn's main rings, when viewed from a distance, may appear to be smooth and continuous, though when viewed up close they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.

(d) When viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.

(e) Though composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close, the main rings of Saturn may appear smooth and continuous when they are viewed from a distance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:27 am
gmatmachoman wrote:Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

(a) Though viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear to be smooth and continuous, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

(b) Though Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous when viewed from a distance, they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets when viewed up close.

(c) Saturn's main rings, when viewed from a distance, may appear to be smooth and continuous, though when viewed up close they are in fact composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.

(d) When viewed from a distance, Saturn's main rings may appear smooth and continuous, but closer viewing reveals them to be composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets.

(e) Though composed of thousands of separate icy ringlets if viewed up close, the main rings of Saturn may appear smooth and continuous when they are viewed from a distance.
Yo man!!!.......nice question.

My stake on D

The first thing I can say here is -two things can be compared only when they have some specific characteristics
For example : I can compare my "talent" with Nick's "talent"-- --but I cannot compare my "talent" with Nick's "humour"

In the above question : "smooth and continuous" is compared to "icy ringlets" which are two different characteristics
For comparison usage of "though" is done, but the sentence itself is not comparing any similar characteristics

Hence I will rule out all options with "though".

The only left is D ---which is perfect.
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"