GMAT NOT THE BIGGEST FACTOR--CHECK THIS OUT

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT NOT THE BIGGEST FACTOR--CHECK THIS OUT

by Sakina » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:26 am
Some advice..

A friend of mine got a 750 on his GMAT. He is definitely very intelligent. He applied to several top programs, and even got interviews to many of them, but in the end was rejected by every single one. What I'd like to point out here is that the GMAT is not everything. He said that he put so much effort into studying for his GMAT, he didn't work very hard at his essays and letters of recommendation. So in their eyes, that made him a competent but boring candidate.

I got a 600 on my GMAT a few months ago, I took it without preparing and I have always been bad at math. I got a 42 on the verbal, but hit the 33rd percentile with the math. I've been studying for the last few weeks and will retake tomorrow--we will see what happens. But even if I only get up to a 650, I will be applying to the same top schools my friend applied to--but with individualized, risky essays. I'll keep you guys tuned to if I get any interviews/admissions. I'd like for us all to be able to believe that it's not ALL about testing. :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:48 pm
Good luck Sakina, please let us know how it goes!

I really like your perspective. At the end of the day, the GMAT is really just a stupid test. Sure it's one factor in your MBA candidacy, but I would argue that it's not the most important in most cases.

I'm really pulling for you!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school