MBA major

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MBA major

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:05 pm
Hi,

Can anyone suggest me about prospects for different majors like finance,strategy ,general mangements,international business etc

Thanks
Peer

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:42 pm
What are you interested in doing after business school?
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Post MBA

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:24 pm
Erin,

I am a graduate in Mechanincal engineering with 8 years of expereience in automotive industry.I plan to finish my MBA and then be a Manager/Director of engineering firms especially the ones in manufacturing.Please kindly advise me on selecting major in MBA.

Thanks in advance for your response

Peer

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat May 03, 2008 7:12 pm
Hi Peer,

One thing to think about is most programs require students to take a broad business curriculum in the first semester/year of the program. So you will get exposure to finance, marketing, operations, economics before you select your major/electives.

I think most students going into the program know what they want to major in. In fact, you need to have an idea in order to write your essays (esp. the classic Why MBA question) but its not a decision you need to make from the start.

Like the previous poster asked, think about what function you want to do post-MBA and that should help you decide what classes you want to take, which will lead to your major/concentration. In fact, I would recommend looking at the major requirements of the school's you are interested in. See what courses are required for those majors and if any of them are of interest to you. That could give you a better sense of what majors could work for your post-MBA goals

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep