schools that can be applied for with GMAT 650

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello All,

I gave my GMAT on Mar10th'08.
Got a score of 650 !!!! ( 82 % )
Break up - quant - 85% , verbal - 57%
Have got 2.5 years of work ex. in IT industry.
Can someone suggest me the schools to which i can apply.
I was aspiring for the top 20 b schools.But when I saw their average gmat scores to be more than 700,got a bit disappointed.Is their any chance of me getting admission in top 20 b schools with such a score ?
and r there different criteria for executive MBA and full time MBA ?

any inputs would be of great help

Thanks & Regards,
Hima Bindhu.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat May 03, 2008 7:32 pm
Hi Hima,

Thanks for your post. I think you have great credentials and are a legitimate candidate for a top 20 MBA program.

As you know, the GMAT is only one part of the MBA admission process. AdCom will also look at your essays, letters of recommendation, undergraduate scores and interview. So while your score might be average, you can make up 'points' with other aspects of your application.

One thing to consider is your background - I am assuming you are Indian? If so, Indians in IT is a VERY competitive applicant pools (similar to Investment Bankers or Management Consultants). And if you are male and from India, its even more competitive!

Many of these applicants (Indians in IT) have GMAT scores over 700, so you need to really focus on differentiating yourself from other applicants you are competing against. I hate to say this, but you might want to consider re-taking the GMAT and shoot for a 700.

I hope this helps...

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep