3 Weeks until "G-Day"

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

3 Weeks until "G-Day"

by bosox8 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:28 pm
Hello all, first off let me say that I have really appreciated all of your advice in the forum for GMAT preparation.

After studying for 3+ months, and having almost completed the MGMAT in-person course, I will be taking the GMAT in 3 weeks. I have certainly improved, but am struggling to come up with a strategy for my last 3 weeks.

CAT 1- 650 (Q44, V35)
CAT 2- 660 (Q46, V34)
CAT 3- 720 (Q43, V45)

From my scores, obviously my verbal has improved (hopefully not a fluke), but my quant is still lagging. While I can usually get 600-700 level quant correct, I am clueless when I see anything over 700, and generally end up guessing. I feel that I have learned a lot on quant, but am constantly being stumped by the harder questions.

What would be the most effective game plan in my last 3 weeks to improve my quant knowledge and not get too overly burnt out? Is the Advanced GMAT quant guide worthwhile? Should I try re-reading all of the quant strategy guides? Any other ideas? Thanks!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:57 pm
You might find it useful to go over questions you got wrong in the past. At high levels (700+) there are often more questions that require a specific insight, with no brute force calculation possible; many of them are topics that simply don't come up as often. You may simply be reaching the point where you are hunting down "small" topics and insights that allow you to get the toughest questions.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:43 pm
Exactly. I've finally reached the point where I can consistently score 48+ on practice CATs, and on most questions I have absolutely zero idea how to solve it algebraically. I end up having to back solve or pug in numbered 80% of the time.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:770

by IJR » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 am
Try the math tests at gmatclub.com. They contain only 700+ level questions, so you will get used to some very difficult problems and you should definitely improve.