Please Help with Opinion on my Approach to B-School!!!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
So I'm planning on applying to B-School for fall 2009. I'm only applying to the University of Hawaii because they have a Japan-Focused MBA program and I plan on working in Japan. Their average GMAT is 630 with a range of 570-700. Av. GPA is 3.39 and work experience av. is 4.5 yrs. with a range of 2-10.

About me:

3.45 cumulative GPA from Cal State school (4.0 in all major courses - basically last two years)

3.85 GPA in post-grad Paralegal Diploma program from NYU.

Will have 3 years work experience with one of the world's most well known law firms and the third largest investment bank.

Plan on getting a GMAT score of 600-650.

How do my chances look?

Also, there are other things I've been doing to make my application balanced and strong throughout.

1. Applying early - I plan to get my app. out a couple months before the first round deadline.

2. Communicate with the school - I've contacted someone and have been asking some questions (thought it couldn't hurt to get my name known and show my interest).

3. Start essays and LOR early - Make sure they are as perfect as can be.

I think I should have a good shot and may even be able to get into some high-ranking programs, but UH has everything I want and need.

One other question. How do B-Schools look at your "progression". By this I mean progression of grades, work experience, etc. I basically put myself through my undergrad (working 30 hours a week with a full course load, internship, etc.) and managed to get hired by top companies that usually hire from top 10 universities (my school didn't even offer any kind of recruiting). I've worked very hard and consider myself to be self-made. How do schools view this?

Sorry for the long post.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by gabriel » Thu May 01, 2008 6:07 am
I am sorry if you are not getting enough responses. The thing is that most members on BTG are international students and hence don't have a lot of idea about the university of Hawaii.

Anyway looking at your profile and the requirement's of the school you seem to have a strong case. Just make sure you have a strong application. I would suggest you to post on the Stacy Blackman thread too.

Regards

Edit.. I see that you have already posted on the Stacy Blackman Thread. Nice job. I am sure you will get a satisfactory response from there.